Wild Burro TQWT

Pchelac

Wild Burro TQWT
« on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:15 pm »
 :D Let me start with a smile. I just put together tqwt for BetsyK and I' more then pleased. These boxes are better then my old Heybrook HB1

You can find more details here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/wild-burro-audio/182745-betsyk-ml-tl-tqwt.html

ejfud

Re: Wild Burro TQWT
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:07 am »
Those look real nice.

What do you think of the top end of the Betsy's?

Æ

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:37 am »
Those look real nice.

What do you think of the top end of the Betsy's?

I don't think they look nice (aesthetic) at all, from what I can see it looks like unfinished particle board.
On top of that the picture looks like it was taken with a cell phone?
Hopefully they'll look better with a finish on them. Maybe some beautiful veneer.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2012, 06:51 am »

I think they look just fine. It's about how they sound that counts anyways. In fact I think it's far cooler to have speakers that sound better than hi-falutin' veneered retail stuff anyways.

Tell us more about those, what does TQWT stand for anyway?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2012, 09:40 am »
I think they look just fine. It's about how they sound that counts anyways. In fact I think it's far cooler to have speakers that sound better than hi-falutin' veneered retail stuff anyways.

Tell us more about those, what does TQWT stand for anyway?

TQWT = Tuned Quarter Wave Tube  (TL's, Transmission Lines are better IMO)

chrisby

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2012, 05:24 pm »
TQWT = Tuned Quarter Wave Tube  (TL's, Transmission Lines are better IMO)

JLM;  we know you know that the devil's in the details - a properly tuned and damped TQWT (Voigt Pipe,  etc) can be just as musical as a TL - and certainly more so than one that's poorly executed

Pchelac:  to repeat ejfud's inquiry - how do you find (or augment) the Betsy's top end? 

Pchelac

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2012, 09:53 pm »
Hi guys. Yes, the proportions are nice, even my wife likes them . Unfortunately my camera is broken, so I had to use mobile phone camera, an I'll post new better pictures asap. I've made these boxes with the cheapest meterial possible, chipboard, just to see if concept works - will I get good bass without any filter.And I did. I plan to "dress"them in 8mm okoume plywood,for to stiff chipboard and for good looks. Mosquito-screen protection will be replaced with 4 or 5 Alum. 6mm bars . Top end is good to my ears, informative  but not agressive. I had them measured with some amateur equipment, an we measured some solid 18kHz. Compared to HB1 soft dome tweeters I've been listening for last 8 years, I dont miss anything... As long as I'm sitting . Sweet spot is wide, but not tall. One may want more highs while walk around the room. I hear more details now, with voices and in bass.

Pchelac

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2012, 09:58 pm »

Start amount of wool, about 200gr/ box

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2012, 11:28 pm »

JLM;  we know you know that the devil's in the details - a properly tuned and damped TQWT (Voigt Pipe,  etc) can be just as musical as a TL - and certainly more so than one that's poorly executed

Yes no perfect speaker and yes any generic design can be screwed up, but as I've read Voigt himself didn't like TQWT's.