SACD Ripping Service - Free

Tyson

SACD Ripping Service - Free
« on: 6 Apr 2012, 03:37 am »
Today is my day to give back to the community.  I've gained so much from the knowledge shared here and I want to contribute a small bit to help others.  tedb detailed how to rip SACD's to ISO files and then to DSF files for playback on hirez DAC's here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.0

I've been doing this for myself as well as a few friends locally.  The results have been really good.  So, I'm extending the offer to the greater AC community.  Basically, if you send me SACD's and some hard drives, I will rip them for you so that you can play them on a hi-rez DAC of your choice. 

Of course there are some caveats!  This is a VERY labor-intensive process.  And it takes a lot of time.  I mean a LOT of time.  So I've made a few decisions to try to make my life a little easier when doing this for you guys.  So, below are the "conditions".  They are pretty reasonable I think.

1.  Contact me via PM and let me know you are interested.  Include your email address in the PM.  Send me a list of the SACD's you want ripped, so I have an idea of how big the job is going to be.

2.  I will contact you via email with a list of SACD's I've already ripped.

3.  Compare your list to my list.  If I have already ripped the disc, no need to send me that disc as I will already have the ISO file for it.  No need to re-rip things that I’ve already ripped….

4.  Once the list is honed down to the non-duplicates, send me the SACD's and a hard drive.  Size of the drive depends on the size of your library.  ISO files from SACDs are about 5GB each.  Some are bigger, some are smaller, but 5GB is a nice round number.  Portable drives, thumb drives, internal drives, external drives, NAS setups – I’ve done it all, and no problems with any of it.

5.  I will rip all SACD's to ISO files, copy them to your hard drive and send them all back to you when done.

Once you have the ISO files, you have basically the raw DSD data.  You can use programs like Jriver or foobar to play them natively.  Otherwise you will have to convert it to DSF to use them.  Some discs only have stereo, some discs have both stereo and multi-channel.

I will include on your hard drive a copy of the program that can extract DSD DSF files.  You can extract either DSF Stereo or DSF Multi-Channel, assuming they are both encoded in the ISO file.  If the ISO file has only stereo, then you can only rip DSF Stereo.  If the ISO file has only multi-channel, then you can only rip DSF Multi-Channel.  My general advice is not to bother with the DSF extraction.  Jriver and Foobar and PureMusic and Audirvana will all play ISO files directly, so not much need to do the conversion anymore. 

So, to sum up.  You send me SACD's and a hard drive, and I rip them to ISO format, copy them to your hard drive and send it all back to you.  And it's all free.  Can't beat that, in this economy!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2014, 07:52 pm by Tyson »

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
Re: SACD Ripping Service - Free
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2012, 05:42 am »
PM sent  :thumb:

Jazz and Baroque

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2012, 03:47 pm »
Wow.  Thanks for the offer.  I have not collected SACDs before, but I will start now.   I want to move to DSD playback, but didn't know where to begin. 

Mike

defense

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2012, 09:30 pm »
Hi there, this is my first post here. I would send a private message, but my account is too new for that. I am curious if this deal is still going on. I am considering purchasing an SACD and would like to be able to make an ISO for backup/listening purposes. However, I don't have the resources to get one of the old PS3 units and do it myself.

Also, I am curious why 2 TB of storage is necessary? I thought an SACD was manufactured using a DVD, meaning that an ISO can't be more than approximately 9 GB. Wouldn't a 16GB thumb drive be adequate, or is there something in the process that I don't understand?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2012, 08:06 pm »
Welcome to AC.  An ISO is typically 3-6GB depending on whether it is stereo hybrid or includes multichannel too.  Get a few more posts in, then PM me; if I have your SACD already extracted I can maybe help.  Tyson may have it, too.

Raffin

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2012, 12:34 pm »
Hi, I'm very impressed with your offer of help. I bought a PS3 to do the same process, but it has a disc loading problem which was not advertised. And I feel silly spending dollars to repair an old PS3 loading mechanism...

I'll PM you when my newbie status changes. :thumb:

defense

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2012, 07:43 pm »
Thank you for the welcome and offer for help. It sounds like you agree with my assessment then that a 16GB thumb drive would be adequate for the procedure. Once I build my post total up a bit more (I'm 2/3 of the way there!) I will send you and Tyson a PM.

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:00 am »
Hi all, I took a bit of a break from doing this as I was finishing up my Masters degree.  That's all done now, so I'm opening up the offer again.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 2 Sep 2012, 02:13 am »
And I will help Tyson with those on the East Coast, if needed.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 2 Sep 2012, 03:09 am »
Hi all, I took a bit of a break from doing this as I was finishing up my Masters degree.  That's all done now, so I'm opening up the offer again.

Congrats on finishing.  Let me know if you need me to get my list in an easier format

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2012, 04:31 pm »
Congrats on finishing grad school.  A college degree is one of few things in life that can't be lost or taken from you. 

And thanks again for ripping my SACD collection for me.  I recently got my system set up to play back multi-channel DFF files using a $50 SoundBlaster USB soundcard.  Obviously sound quality is limited compared to better PCM/DSD DACs, but I'm having fun playing all my multi-channel SACD programs from my music server.

Russ

PeteG

« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2012, 08:05 pm »
Tyson is ripping some of my SACD now, I am very appreciative of his time on this. Its kind of strange seeing the interested in SACD again (I was an early adopter), it would be nice if more site’s offered downloads like Blue Coast Records.

« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2012, 08:21 pm by ted_b »

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2012, 08:21 pm »
Tyson is ripping some of my SACD now, I am very appreciative of his time on this. Its kind of strange seeing the interested in SACD again (I was an early adopter), it would be nice if more site’s offered downloads like Blue Coast Records.

Channel Classics, and their SACD (i.e pure native DSD recordings) samplers are now only $8.50 DSD downloaded, that's like $.50 a track.  I own the actual SACD discs for samplers 2,3 and 4.  They are very nice.  The Ivan Fischer Mahlers (especially 4th and the latest, 1st) are sublimely done.  Jared Sacks knows what he's doing, and is a good guy too.

http://www.channelclassics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sampler&x=0&y=0
http://www.channelclassics.com/fischer-26109.html

Wow, weird.  I hit modify instead of quote and found I could modify Pete's post!!   Look out for Ted's wrath!!  :)

defense

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:12 am »
Hello all,

This is just a plug for ted_b and the ripping service. I sent an SACD to him recently and he ripped it and got it back to me incredibly quickly! It is really helpful for those of us who, like me, only have one or two SACDs and can't justify the purchase/setup of the PS3.

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2012, 04:35 am »

Yep, "Some" being about 160 SACD's.  Good news is, I'm almost done!  Should be finished up next week.  I think this puts me close to 1200 SACD's I've ripped for people so far.....

jamesg11

« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2012, 09:12 am »
Wish you were located here in the land of Oz - DownUnder - Great South Land - the Antipodes, etc.!

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2012, 01:33 am »
Finished with the latest round.  I miscounted, I thought I had 1200, but I'm "only" up to 853 :D

I'm free to do more, just PM me.....

PhilipAC

« Reply #17 on: 7 Oct 2012, 09:47 am »
Hi to Ted and Tyson

I am a newby-this is my 3rd post so I should be able to PM when the moderator approves them!

Ted- I put 2 messages on the Mr Wicked site yesterday, but having read that thread and this one, I am worried about the complications of doing this myself.

So, 2 questions, first I assume the PS3 route gives much better sound than using a de-embedder?

Second, Tyson- I have about 400 SACDs- but I live near London! If I sent them to you in, say, batches of 80, and naturally paid you for the costs of getting them back to me, could you rip them to ISOs for me. It seems like a terrible imposition to ask but it would be wonderful.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Philip

PhilipAC

« Reply #18 on: 7 Oct 2012, 10:07 am »
Sorry Guys- I now realise the output from the Atlona de-embedder is analog, so my first question above is stupid, as I want digital files!

Philip

anilveena

« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2012, 03:48 am »
Hi All:

I finally managed to get my SACD ripping on a PS3 set up thanks to the great information here and have mostly ripped my SACD collection.  As a small token of giving back to this community, I'm willing to volunteer my service to this as well:  I probably will not have the same capacity as Tyson, but am happy to do a few disks a week.  Please PM me if interested:  I'm in the Seattle area.

Anil