Replacing the radio in my YukonXL with a pioneer 4300 DVD player

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
I very much like the sound quality of the GMC Yukon XL sound system, but was growing tired of ripping and burning CDs to play.
So....it's time to modernize things just a bit. The ability to play a CD, or from a USB or SD card source was more than I could resist. So I bought a Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD and installed it today. The ability to play a DVD isn't necessarily a big deal for me, but might come in handy someday.
So anyway, here's how I cut up the dashboard of my truck:

Before:

The main dash plate removed:

Radio and HVAC controls removed:

Sizing things up. The difference between old and new:

The factory radio has a VERY slick way of mounting to the dash. The bottom of the radio itself has (what I call) a "sled" built into it that slides into and locks into the dash.
Much more slick than the old school way of mounting radios in a dash. I was determined to incorporate this "sled" into the upgrade. It was just too cool not to.
Here, you can see the sled on the upper right and the "sled receiver" inside the dash:

Here's just the sled slid back into the dash:

Again, sizing things up. The sled mounted back in it's home, the dash face plate back on, and the new head unit ("HU") sitting on top:

The new HU, the old unit, and the sled detached from the old unit:

The new HU sitting on the sled:

Since the new HU isn't quite as wide as the old one, I had to make some spacers:

The sled with the spacers painted to match the dash face:

The new HU on it's new nest:

The new HU in the dash:

Some tunes playing:
Note the USB cable hanging down on the left. I have yet to figure out where it's permanent home will be, but it's usable for now.

Closer.......

The THX "planet shattering" splash screen:

Just because I can.....let's try a movie: ........ :)

I'll be trying the pro's and con's of using SD card versus thumbdrives versus actual harddrives for music storage.
But for now, it's time to listen to some tunes in the truck..............

Bob

srb

I would route the USB cable into the glove compartment where it would plug into an iPod.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
I would route the USB cable into the glove compartment where it would plug into an iPod.

Steve
Oh, for sure Steve. Baby steps though......One thing at a time.  :lol:

I just wanted to get things up and running first. As time allows I'll route the USB to the center console. The cubby in there is pretty large. The ultimate plan is to have a large(ish) USB harddrive connected to the USB hidden away from plain sight. Right now I'm using the SD card slot for tune storage.

Bob

youravhandyman

Huh, I figured you would veneer the spacers...  :icon_lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
No Matt...It's a Yukon, not a Denali.   :rotflmao:

medium jim

Great thread!  BTW, a new circle that is dedicated to Mobile Audio was created and this is the kind of information that would be perfect there. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=196.0

Jim