T.V. home improvement show features audiophile listening room

Photon46

Don't know if anyone else caught the DIYNetwork's show "Million Dollar Contractor" last night, but it was an interesting show. They featured what looked like a completely gutted and renovated Rives designed room in an 18,000 square foot N.Y. apartment that had an eye popping 4 million dollar budget. :o Two million for the room alone! Here's a link to the future broadcast schedule: www.diynetwork.com/million-dollar-contractor/2-million-listening-room-/index.html

Phil A

I guess if you can get an 18,000 sq. ft. apartment in NY at what those prices might be (I've seen medium sized lofts a fraction of 18,000 sq. ft. going for millions), then it is not as out of proportion as it seems on the surface, even though it is lots of money

Phil A

Here's a listing for $18M for a 2,910 sq. ft. condo - http://www.corcoran.com/property/listing.aspx?Region=NYC&ListingID=2268325&ohDat=
 and property taxes are a shade under $59k for the year.

Photon46

I guess if you can get an 18,000 sq. ft. apartment in NY at what those prices might be (I've seen medium sized lofts a fraction of 18,000 sq. ft. going for millions), then it is not as out of proportion as it seems on the surface, even though it is lots of money

You're quite right about that. The tv show "Selling N.Y." on HGTV drives home the high cost of Manhattan real estate. I imagine where I live in Florida, construction costs for the job would be a quarter of the NYC tab. It is so much more difficult to do anything in construction within NYC compared to the suburbs.