Dan's HT2-TL's in stunning cocobolo

jsalk

Dan's HT2-TL's in stunning cocobolo
« on: 10 Feb 2012, 03:57 pm »
Sometimes it takes time to sort things out.

Dan originally contacted us asking about a pair of SongBirds.  We exchanged a few emails and calls.  The more he looked at images on our web site, the more he wanted to know about SongTowers, Veracity HT1-TL's and Veracity HT2-TL's.  After first deciding on SongBirds in curly maple, he finally settled on HT2-TL's in curly walnut.

So we started to work on a pair of cabinets.  But as he continued to look at our web site, he started to wonder if he made the right choice.  Pal Dao rosewood started to look real good.  So we talked it over. 

I told Dan not to worry about the walnut cabinets that were underway.  We would finish them up and make them available to anyone who might like a pair of HT2-TL's in curly walnut without the wait (these cabinets are now available SOLD by the way).

I told Dan that if he liked pal dao rosewood, he might want to consider a batch of really nice Mexican cocobolo I had just run across.  I could tell he was a bit nervous, but he said he trusted us and gave us the go-ahead. 

Last evening I got a call from Dan and he and his wife seemed extremely happy with the results.  He said he was very tired when they arrived the evening before, but they were up at 5:30 the next morning listening and were very impressed with both the looks and sound of the speakers.

Here is a picture...

And a close-up...

I only wish I was a better photographer since these pictures do not do the speakers justice.  But that's life.

Happy listening Dan!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2012, 03:52 pm by jsalk »

WGH

Re: Dan's HT2-TL's in stunning cocobolo
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2012, 04:05 pm »
Very nice, the color and grain looks similar to aged mesquite.

Wayne

ricardojoa

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2012, 04:32 pm »
Those just look insane...
Jim, is it even possible to have built the front baffle with real hard wood  instead of wood trim plus veneer? Just you did with some of your HT1 but on a tower.

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2012, 06:24 pm »
Those just look insane...
Jim, is it even possible to have built the front baffle with real hard wood  instead of wood trim plus veneer? Just you did with some of your HT1 but on a tower.

Ricardo -

Yes and no.  It is possible to use hardwood for the front baffles, but there are significant issues and the larger the speaker, the greater those issues become. 

Wood will expand and contract at a different rate than the underlying cabinet when exposed to changes in temperature and humidity.  So the first thing you have to insure is that the wood you are using is well seasoned.  This is somewhat of a problem since it is unlikely that wood being sold has sat around seasoning for a number of years.  And if not, it may not be seasoned enough and you can have major problems.

A number of years ago, I purchased a "museum-grade" piece of cocobolo.  I paid about $1000 for the board and it was fabulous - stunning.  I had it milled to create a matched set of front baffles and basically book-matched them.  I did the remainder of the cabinets in black and hand rubbed the finish to high gloss.  They were incredible looking speakers to be sure.

A few months later, I noticed a few small cracks in the cocobolo hardwood.  A few months after that, the cracks had expanded to the point where the board started warping.  Since the cocobolo was glued to the cabinets, it had nowhere to go and actually started ripping the cabinets apart.  A month or so later, the cabinets were broken beyond repair and all we could do was trash them. 

I was VERY happy I hadn't sold them to someone.

That said, we have successfully done speakers with full hardwood front baffles.  Some woods are a lot more stable than others and much safer to use in this fashion.  We have had good luck with cherry, walnut and bubinga for example.  And there are things you can do like kerfing the back side of the baffles that will help considerably.

But any time you have to glue hardwood to any surface, you are gambling. 

If you look at wood doors, you will notice that the center panels are not usually glued to the frame.  They sit in a pocket in the frame so they can expand and contract without breaking the frame.

With speaker cabinets, you cannot do this sort of thing (at least not easily) since the cabinet must be totally sealed.  So the safest thing is not to gamble in the first place. Simply veneer the fronts and use hardwood trim.  That way they should be very stable for a very long time.

I hope that made sense.

- Jim

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2012, 07:35 pm »
Ricardo -

Yes and no.  It is possible to use hardwood for the front baffles, but there are significant issues and the larger the speaker, the greater those issues become. 

Wood will expand and contract at a different rate than the underlying cabinet when exposed to changes in temperature and humidity.  So the first thing you have to insure is that the wood you are using is well seasoned.  This is somewhat of a problem since it is unlikely that wood being sold has sat around seasoning for a number of years.  And if not, it may not be seasoned enough and you can have major problems.

A number of years ago, I purchased a "museum-grade" piece of cocobolo.  I paid about $1000 for the board and it was fabulous - stunning.  I had it milled to create a matched set of front baffles and basically book-matched them.  I did the remainder of the cabinets in black and hand rubbed the finish to high gloss.  They were incredible looking speakers to be sure.

A few months later, I noticed a few small cracks in the cocobolo hardwood.  A few months after that, the cracks had expanded to the point where the board started warping.  Since the cocobolo was glued to the cabinets, it had nowhere to go and actually started ripping the cabinets apart.  A month or so later, the cabinets were broken beyond repair and all we could do was trash them. 

I was VERY happy I hadn't sold them to someone.

That said, we have successfully done speakers with full hardwood front baffles.  Some woods are a lot more stable than others and much safer to use in this fashion.  We have had good luck with cherry, walnut and bubinga for example.  And there are things you can do like kerfing the back side of the baffles that will help considerably.

But any time you have to glue hardwood to any surface, you are gambling. 

If you look at wood doors, you will notice that the center panels are not usually glued to the frame.  They sit in a pocket in the frame so they can expand and contract without breaking the frame.

With speaker cabinets, you cannot do this sort of thing (at least not easily) since the cabinet must be totally sealed.  So the safest thing is not to gamble in the first place. Simply veneer the fronts and use hardwood trim.  That way they should be very stable for a very long time.

I hope that made sense.

- Jim
Jim, as always, that made more sense then anything.
Cant appreciate you enough for the thorough explanation.
Many thanks.

Nuance

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2012, 08:56 pm »
Those are amazing, Dan!  Congrats and welcome to the Salk family.

mark funk

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm »
Dam, I though those Mesquite HT2s were sweet! :thumb: These are just a little bet sweeter! :thumb:

:smoke:

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2012, 12:12 am »
Dam, I though those Mesquite HT2s were sweet! :thumb: These are just a little bet sweeter!  :thumb:                                                                                         

And probably cheaper! That mesquite was darn expensive.

Wayne

vermont99

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2012, 03:33 pm »
Fantastic, love the grain.   :thumb:

ratso

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2012, 03:44 pm »
a really classy pair of speakers. nice.

billmcc

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2021, 03:49 pm »
I was just searching for thoughts from Salk speaker owners and possible comparisons to Harbeth speakers. I happened upon this thread and sure enough these HT2-TLs are now residing in my system! When I saw "cocobolo" in the thread title it piqued my interest as that is the veneer on mine. Once I saw the pictures I knew right away. They still look amazing and sound incredible! Listening to Chet Baker's Chet APO SACD and it sounds excellent.

It's amazing to find this nine year old thread and it's significance :).

Edit: Looking at Jim's pictures the top one showing both speakers is a very accurate representation of the HT2-TLs. The color in the close up picture is a bit off. That picture shows the grain with a "yellow" tint. The veneer is more towards a red shade than the yellow of the picture.