New York Audio & AV Show 2012
« on: 2 Feb 2012, 11:14 pm »
New York Audio & AV Show '12

Waldorf Astoria
301 Park Avenue
New York City
NY 10022-6897

April, 13-15 2012

"Every new venture carries with it elements of uncertainty, traces of apprehension. What became clear at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest is that the time is right for a major audio show produced to the highest standards in New York, and that the members of the industry will support it wholeheartedly."

http://www.chestergroup.org/index.php/extensions/newyorkaudioshow

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: New York Audio & AV Show 2012
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2012, 03:59 am »
Oh yeah, I feel a train ride through NJ coming on....

Delta Wave

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2012, 04:35 am »
Hmmm... I may be able to make that!  :thumb:

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2012, 04:46 am »

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2012, 05:08 am »
Thanks for the reminder.  This should be a great show!

Listens2tubes

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:45 pm »
Coming up fast! I hope it becomes a yearly event.

Levi

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2012, 04:58 pm »
Registered!

Delta Wave

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2012, 08:10 pm »
Anybody going that would like 2 tickets to the NYC International Auto Show that's going on at the same time, 6th-15th? PM me...

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm »
Hey!

Hmmmmm.... not sure yet. I'll have to see if I can get that weekend off from work  :? So, I'm not buying tix yet.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

saisunil

« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2012, 01:47 am »
Seems like I would be going

enjoythemusic

« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2012, 11:21 am »
Look forward to meeting fellow AC'ers there! Of course will be taking pics and posting my show coverage on Enjoy the Music.com . Also note that the big International Auto show is at the jacob javits convention center too. As for the audio show, looks to be a great event and can't want to arrive in NYC with a Krispy Kreme in hand :)

Anywho, my report will be posted at www.enjoythemusic.com/new_york_audio_av_2012/ and look forward to seeing you there.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2012, 04:29 am »
So does anyone want to link up at the bar to tip a couple on Saturday?

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm »
See y'all there this weekend... Heading in less than 2 hours with a Long Island contingent!

Cheers,
Pete

putz

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2012, 10:49 pm »
Might head over Saturday from NJ.

Friday attendees, please report back on whether it's worth the trip and which rooms to hit.

kbuzz3

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:33 am »
My Overally personal opinion was that it was underwhelming.  I dont have time to post a full review but i found the selection smaller then expected, the crowds a bit much and the sound qualty presented per costs not commesnurate. I was also dressed well and respectful but i found some of the room hosts to be noticably less friendly then at past events.  If some of the well known audio press members were in the roomit could be a blessing or a curse for the public depending on the suck up quotient Of the manufacturer and deamonor of the press member. I wont name names but on writer -who is not with the big print mags was just a douche in the room i shared for a little -and this was in the opening hour

On a more positive note vinnie' rwa audio was sounding great and a model of simplicity.  Soundmith showed how vinyl should be done And got great full range sounf with the with nice firefly small speakers. Woo audios lineup was well worth it.

Robyatt quads were something ive wanted to hear for a long time and the room lived up to it.  But what a small sweet spot. I wanted to hate the sound by singer dude schtick and room but have to admit the vac -verity- playback design combo was beautiful and showd the promise of digital. But If you have to ask the price...

The high water sound room was tops for me. The walker turntable should not be missed

Is sum great to have a show on ny but i wouldnt get in hot water with the wife or miss kids events for this one

saisunil

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2012, 03:53 am »
I enjoyed it ...
I was not sure if Friday would be good day - I think it was better as the crowds were surprisingly low ... (at least where I happen to bet)

There are surprisingly low number of exhibits ... I have some recorded notes and iphone pictures that I hope to upload at some point during the weekend ...

The top picks for me were:

1. TAD - this is THE reference (for me)
2. Sony room - big sound from small speakers
3. Audio Note with 211 tubes - speakers were thrown in a corner and toed in about 60 degrees ... I could not find a fault in this room ... wow! It had no room treatments
4. Walker Audio with Burmester - wow!
5. MBL - really nice but their bass seemed detached from the rest of the sound
6. Amphion with Hegel electronics - what a nice surprise - nice and smooth sound
7. Sound by Singer - they always have good sound in the rooms - it was no exception here
8. Woo Audio - really wooed me - it needs a page of its own ... they have a great DAC for $1199 - this is where headphones happen ...
9. Gradient - Interesting demo of open baffle bass
10. Picked up a couple of high rez albums from MA Recordings - I played them when I came home - WOW!
11. RWA: Great headphone setup - Audeze amp/LCD2 combo. It is always nice to see Vinnie - I think the speakers hooked up to the new monos, though nice, were holding back ...
12. Good to run into some audio buddies :)

More tomorrow ...

Levi

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2012, 05:09 am »
Hi Sunil, which MA recording did you get?  I want to buy good music as well.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2012, 10:30 pm »
Here's my listening notes captured on my phone, so they are terse

Yg acoustice- pa speakers! Forward and not nuanced

Sony - veiled

Wilson sasha/vtl- nice, dynamic, open , diacordant, not well integrated

Scaena- not integratwd, hole in upper mids

Kef blades on koto drum track - nice but give me something real, on regular music very nice and integrated in a big crowded room. Bigger than life but pretty and dynamic. bass is still detached

Mbl - awesome. Cohesaive, dynamic, detailed. Not overly loud but still port bass boom

Gradient - best sound so far, cohesive, live, full range, very nice amd dynamic, soind very big for their size

Woo audio - headphones, probably best sound at the show

Veloce and little yg's7 sounds much better yhan the big yg's but a bit congested and not full range

Quad 58s- sometimes its easy to say it has all been done before and its not better, just dfferent. I don't think there was anything in this room that was lass than 20 years old.

Tad - no bass, toppy high end. Crappy am radio sound

The clue bookshelf speakers - $999 and they are phenominal, against the wall, cohesive and dynamic and awesome I want a pair of these. Call Bob Learner 908-967-5990

Singer verity vac - balanced nice on cd and spectacular on hi rez apl for about $100k, then a second system of Kudas (?) speakers and dart zeel integrated for about half that which sounded dynamically constrained bit still more cohesive than most if a bit flat

Amphion hegel - nice and open if a bit horny in the tweeter and tippy on the top end and needs a sub

Harbeths - somewhat flat and non dynamic. Not what I thought harbeths would sound like

RobertLlighton speakers and electronics - ok bit nothing spectacular. Rather home made look and not fully finished. Also somewhat closed in and typical small tweeter and big woofer sound with a hole.

Walker burmeister - a bit tame and over controlled but nice

Davinci wilson sasha pass - might be some of the best sound at the show but still a bit congested on complex stuff

Red wine - great synergy between all components and speakers, need to get Vinny to a local meeting

Hansen redpoint - Wes always makes sure thing sound good, dynamic and balanced

Soundsmith on a big vpi hrx - dynamic and natural on soundsmith firefly spealers and amp. Very very sweet. Just a wow sound. Not a tube in sight but wow tube sound

GF audio - panels and self powered cone woofers. Sound nice but looks bad for only $2750 pair and awesome at 3 times the price. Someone just buy these.

Audio note - boxy and closed in sound.

Arum cantus speakers, avid tube amps, vpi classic 4 (new tt) - big and dynamic and beautiful in 3 speaker sound (yup there was a center channel speaker too)

coverto

« Reply #18 on: 15 Apr 2012, 12:09 am »
The Walker Burmester room was probably my favorite. Although I liked the Walker part of it more than the Burmester part, the combo still delivered some of the most convincing, engrossing and downright beautiful music I heard the whole day. A lot of jaws were hanging open when I was there.

The Audio Note room was also outstanding - John Atkinson seemed to think so too as we lingered there for an inordinate amount of time (he was taking a suspiciously large number of notes) - although I thought it was surprisingly vulnerable to a little peakiness with the sopranos and pianos that seemed to dominate the playlist in there.

The Red Wine Audio room was shockingly, scandalously good. Truly one of the best rooms in the whole show - I couldn't believe the sound Vinnie was pulling out of those little inexpensive floorstanders. Alan Sircom, the editor of British pub HiFi+, was also there, and seemed equally impressed, peppering Vinnie with questions, taking notes, exchanging business cards, etc. - I'm guessing you'll see a review before too long...

KEF Blades were nice, though I agree the side-firing bass woofers were having issues in the room. I also thought the smaller YGs sounded better than the big ones, which lacked coherency, a Tower of Babel resulting from too many crossovers, however well designed. This also was an issue with the much-ballyhooed Legacy speakers that were getting a lot of attention.

Which is why I was surprised how good the sound was coming from the Scaena speakers, with their dozens of drivers stacked up. Still some integration issues with the subwoofers, but if you sat in the middle, it was impressive.

The Kaiser Acoustik speakers were as nice to listen to as they were to look at, and they were handsome, indeed.

The Cessaro horns were extremely intriguing, but also apparently having some very serious issues with the room.

The TADs were a huge disappointment, after all the hoopla they generated at the show a few months back - I'm guessing the room and the accompanying equipment were quite different. I agree with the "A.M. radio" analogy.

The MBLs were penned up in a tiny room, resulting in a line out the door that seemed to generate some buzz. The thing is, they were still locked up in that room. Aside from the boomy bass, there were a lot of wall reflections going on that muddied up the sound pretty good.

Sony room was amusing - as if somebody in the real world would ever be pairing Sony speakers with Pass amps....

cornelius

« Reply #19 on: 15 Apr 2012, 12:45 am »
I also thought the show was pretty weak...  No vibe whatsoever - not nearly as many exhibitors as other shows. 

My favorite system was the Rogers Hi Fidelitey/Totem system... down at Stereo Exchange.  I hung out there with Vince Bruzzese after the Show, it was much more fun.