Orion active concept will be born soon!!!

PRELUDE

Re: Orion active concept will be born soon!!!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jan 2012, 04:47 pm »
Thank you very much folks for the comments and the good words I just enjoy this construction a lot.
Here is all the cables with WBT and FURUTECH cables.

And the crossover done and tested just works fine.The power supply that I used here is from DENMARK which I find out would be perfect for this project.
http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=318

PRELUDE

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jan 2012, 04:50 pm »
As a fellow loudspeaker builder I am in awe.

Then again, I do not have access to a place that can do the work on the metal... The wood work is no problem here.

I have heard this loudspeaker in several configurations, the only one I did not like was completely passive, I was not impressed to say bthe least. But when in an active configuration with the correct filtering going on... This probably will be the last lousdpeaker you'll build.

(Unless "The Itch" starts again... :wink:)
The itch is what killing me and I cannot stop it. :lol:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #22 on: 21 Jan 2012, 05:02 pm »
The itch is what killing me and I cannot stop it. :lol:

I know... I have the same problem. :lol:
In order to keep it bareable I build custom furniture for my parasites and my partner, and some stuff on order.
But I do foresee a new loudspeaker project within a few years... (I want an earthquake sub, 1 to 50 Hz)

rascal

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jan 2012, 05:14 pm »

I have heard this loudspeaker in several configurations, the only one I did not like was completely passive, I was not impressed to say bthe least. But when in an active configuration with the correct filtering going on... This probably will be the last lousdpeaker you'll build.

:scratch: I don't follow--Linkwitz Orions have always been active speakers- so what passive speaker are you referring to? :roll:

mhconley

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jan 2012, 05:48 pm »
Absolutely freakin' amazing...  I wish I had the resources to realize my DIY dreams like this.  :bowdown:

Martin

PRELUDE

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jan 2012, 06:06 pm »
Well folks, I have to wait few days because the large milling machine is busy right now.I need it to make my turns to make the frame.As soon as I start I will send more pictures.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #26 on: 21 Jan 2012, 06:57 pm »
Holy crap is right.  :o  You gotta send these pics to Linkwitz himself to post on his website for the DIY photo library he has on the site.

I just put a link to this thread on the Orion Users Group page.

http://orion.quicksytes.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2249

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:34 pm »
hey, Prelude!

...what else can i say? respect, respect :thumb:

al.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #28 on: 21 Jan 2012, 11:19 pm »
:scratch: I don't follow--Linkwitz Orions have always been active speakers- so what passive speaker are you referring to? :roll:
Some people are more creative than others. The guy designed a passive cross over for them, and kinda failed.

Rclark

« Reply #29 on: 22 Jan 2012, 02:01 am »
The guy being Linkwitz?

Davey

« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2012, 05:40 am »
The guy being Linkwitz?

No.  :)

Prelude,

Very nice build on the Orion ASP.   Beautiful work.
I hope that toroid has the capacity to power that circuit board.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

skunark

« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2012, 06:57 am »
Very nice Prelude

coolbiz

• Não em uma caixa
« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2012, 09:46 am »
Prelude, your work is simply stunning! I finished my Orions four years ago but this thread makes me want to build another pair.

This one is going to be the Orion+
<...>

Having listened my way through the various ASP updates that SL tirelessly has churned out since I originally built the 2.0 (a.k.a. "+") version, I strongly recommend that you go straight for the 3.3.1 version of the ASP. Consider also the modified C7-R5 bass shelf as described on SL's Experimenter's Corner.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2012, 06:45 pm by coolbiz »

PRELUDE

« Reply #33 on: 22 Jan 2012, 11:15 pm »
Prelude, your work is simply stunning! I finished my Orions four years ago but this thread makes me want to build another pair.

Having listened my way through the various ASP updates that SL tirelessly has churned out since I originally built the 2.0 (a.k.a. "+") version, I strongly recommend that you go straight for the 3.3.1 version of the ASP. Consider also the modified C7-R5 bass shelf as described on SL's Experimenter's Corner.
Thanks, and yes I will try all the updates that SL has made. I just wanted to start it right at Orion+ and go up.If you think about rebuild the frame then take a look at this also. :thumb:
http://www.ltlewis.co.uk/b15.htm

PRELUDE

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2012, 11:18 pm »
hey, Prelude!

...what else can i say? respect, respect :thumb:

al.
Thanks al. and all of you guys. :thumb:

coolbiz

• Não em uma caixa
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm »
Thanks, and yes I will try all the updates that SL has made. I just wanted to start it right at Orion+ and go up.If you think about rebuild the frame then take a look at this also. :thumb:
http://www.ltlewis.co.uk/b15.htm

Thanks for the panzerholz link. Not sure if mechanical strength matters quite as much in an open baffle design as in a closed cabinet, but it can't hurt and panzerholz is certainly easier to work with for the average DIYer than slabs of metal.

As for the ASP, I am tempted to say that going through the pre-3.3.1 versions is a bit of a waste of time. While earlier versions were very good, 3.3.1 is superior in several ways, and makes the Orion a truly great speaker in my opinion. (The C7+R5 mod might well be a matter of personal taste and room interaction.)

On the other hand, it is quite an interesting educational process to experience the subtle but significant improvements from the various modifications. And with your obvious level of skill, the risk of the copper tracks separating from the ASP circuit board due to repeated component re-soldering should be minimal.

PRELUDE

« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2012, 10:07 pm »
Thanks for the panzerholz link. Not sure if mechanical strength matters quite as much in an open baffle design as in a closed cabinet, but it can't hurt and panzerholz is certainly easier to work with for the average DIYer than slabs of metal.

As for the ASP, I am tempted to say that going through the pre-3.3.1 versions is a bit of a waste of time. While earlier versions were very good, 3.3.1 is superior in several ways, and makes the Orion a truly great speaker in my opinion. (The C7+R5 mod might well be a matter of personal taste and room interaction.)

On the other hand, it is quite an interesting educational process to experience the subtle but significant improvements from the various modifications. And with your obvious level of skill, the risk of the copper tracks separating from the ASP circuit board due to repeated component re-soldering should be minimal.
I agree with you on your thoughts. :thumb:

PRELUDE

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jan 2012, 05:48 am »
Ok folks all done with machining for good. :thumb:
Here is the plate for back tweeter and the spacers.

Top baffle for midrange and tweeter.

The H frame for woofer.

And the speaker front and back.

PRELUDE

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2012, 06:11 am »
Material  ---Aluminum 6061 T6  @ 1"
Pices      ---38
Weight    ---169 Ibs each speaker complete
Finish      ---Brushed black anodized type 3
Number
of tap and
holes       ---380 and will be assemble with torex screws and medium strength loctite

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jan 2012, 06:57 am »
 Holy heck it's the T1000 of speakers  :thumb:

Those will be nice! I always thought the Orion's had a really sophisticated look that didn't err too far that way. Yours will be something else though for sure. Lots of debate on the sound, at least a couple years ago when I was looking into them. I know they've gone through a lot of updates, I think the only speaker I've ever seen with updates as frequent as my operating system's. I'm sure they're awesome though, they must be.