Acoustic Room Treatment

Xi-Trum

Acoustic Room Treatment
« on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:07 pm »
Ok, going off Dan Banquer's comment regarding the total lack of acoustic treatments in many systems, I know I have been guilty of this.    :wink:   So, it's time for me to start looking at room treatment seriously.  I'll need a lot of help in this area.  So, I'll throw out some questions (that may sound obvious to many of you out there)... like... um... how do I get started?   :D  I mean, what do I use to "treat" the walls with?  Is there some DIY stuff that I can toss together that'll work effectively?

Since I'm a newbie in this, any bit of help/information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Marbles

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:17 pm »
Xi-Trum,

Run, don't walk to your email and contact Danny at GR Research.

He is practically giving his stuff away.

Don't know if he has any left, but he is the first person you should contact.

http://www.gr-research.com/foam.htm

Marbles

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:29 pm »
After that, go down to the salvation army and get a valour sofa in whorehose red  :rotflmao:  :thumb:

Dan Banquer

Acoustic room Treatment
« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:34 pm »
If your here in the states try www.partsexpress.com  The last I knew they had 24" by 36" foam pnels at about $5.00 each. If you need a part number contact me and I will post it. Other sources can be found in the audioperfectionist journal #2 found at www.audioperfectionist.com It's a free download from them.
Cover the entire back wall if you can and come up on the side walls about 3 to 4 feet.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. BTW this stuff really does work.

hairofthedawg

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:51 pm »
Here's a link to the page I found on their site.  Now to come up with a good way to install it without ruining the walls...renting sucks sometimes.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-900&DID=7

cheers,

Dick

Marbles

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2003, 07:51 pm »
Uh oh, I think I'm about to be banned from here  :bawl:

Really John, I'm sure it is a lovely sofa in person.... :thumb:

Dan Banquer

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:07 pm »
Gentleman: I say we should take up a collection and get Marbles a new couch. He is obviously envious of John's audition couch and we need to help him out. Anyone know what the Salvation Army is charging for one of these things?

rosconey

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:10 pm »
with or without urine stains :o

Xi-Trum

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:14 pm »
Guys, thanks very much for the tips.

Marbles, um... I'll wait for a review on the couch.  I believe you're next in line to try it out?   :lol:

Marbles

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:19 pm »
I'm really worried that no one asked how I knew what shade "whorehouse red" was!

Just goes to show...like a tell my kids..get caught even once and your branded for life!!!  :lol:   :angel:

BOK

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #10 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:22 pm »
You could also try the old standby  (Jon Risch's DIY acoustical treatment site)
www.geocities.com/jonrisch/a1.htm

Marbles

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #12 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:37 pm »
Thanks Dick!  Nothing quite says PIMP DADDY like a totaly custom Crushed red velvet and Cheetah couch extra long and extra tall.

nathanm

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #13 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:43 pm »
Quote from: hairofthedawg
Here's a link to the page I found on their site.  Now to come up with a good way to install it without ruining the walls...renting sucks sometimes.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-900&DID=7

cheers,

Dick

You aren't kiddin'!  I glued my Auralex foam to 1/8" thick 2x4' boards of that whatsit kinda material they make pegboard with, only it doesn't have holes in it.  Then I drilled a hole in the center and hung the panel from a picture hanger hook.  Only one hole in the wall that way.  For the LENRD bass traps I used T-pins which are created by Satan to destroy the mortal thumb.  When I become king I shall decree that all rental properties shall have cork over the drywall.  Case closed!  :D The makers of textured paint will be publically executed as well.

Hantra

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #14 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:52 pm »
Xi:

How big is your room?  Be very careful not to OVER treat it!  I used 15 of Michael Green's Pressure Zone controllers in solid cherry back at the old room.  The old room was horrible!  

My new room is smaller, and more rectangular with NOTHING in it but the system, and I can tell just how much ONE PZC takes away from the music.  It's like they absorb a little too much for me.  So, I took them all down, and left up only the corner ones.  

Much better.  

Treatments can help, but they can quickly lead down the slippery slope to a dull, lifeless sounding room.  But then again, some folks like that. .

Just don't assume that more, or bigger is better.  My only advice. .

B

Dan Banquer

Acoustic Foam
« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:19 pm »
The part number of the acoustic foam from parts express that I use for a live end dead end room is  260-315B. Note that I use this foam behind the speakers and just out a few feet on the sides. All of this is essentially behind the speakers.

Dan Banquer

Marbles room treatment.
« Reply #16 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:29 pm »
For those of you in the States, there is a chain of music stores catering to DJ's and pro audio which is called Daddy's Junky Music. Imagine if you can for a moment Marbles has taken over this chain and renamed it to:

PIMP DADDY'S JUNKY MUSIC

Marbles

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #17 on: 3 Feb 2003, 09:33 pm »
Nah...I'm too tame for that, but this years CES winner Jim Bongiorno

is THE Pimp Daddy!

DVV

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #18 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:17 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I'm really worried that no one asked how I knew what shade "whorehouse red" was!

Just goes to show...like a tell my kids..get caught even once and your branded for life!!!  :lol:   :angel:

Unless you're Bill Clinton - then you use getting caught as a reference for next time. :P

Cheers,
DVV

DVV

Acoustic Room Treatment
« Reply #19 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:21 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Thanks Dick!  Nothing quite says PIMP DADDY like a totaly custom Crushed red velvet and Cheetah couch extra long and extra tall.

Dig the unsmoked joint in the right lower corner!

Hey Marbles, your wife know about this? The joint, I mean? :P

Cheers,
DVV