Multi Rail Power Supply

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
Multi Rail Power Supply
« on: 8 Nov 2011, 05:04 pm »

I can now offer a multi-rail supply in the SR7EHD case format. Up to four fully regulated supply rails can be fitted depending on the voltage/current requirements of the equipment to be powered. The supplies have their own separate secondary windings on the high performance custom mains transformer for complete galvanic isolation from each other. This eradicates any ground return current inter-modulation caused by powering more than one circuit from the same power supply, giving a more stable musical presentation both dynamically and dimensionally and it also reduces the masking of low level information caused by the mixing of these ground return currents with a common supply.

Many of you are using a master battery supply to power more than one item of equipment. You should really have a separate supply for each item of equipment to eradicate ground return current inter-modulation.  This can get complicated with batteries with their charging regime as well as taking up a great deal of space in the audio rack. Now you can have up to four very high performance independent power supplies in one half-rack width, 120mm high chassis, and have better performance than batteries. No more unsightly batteries and no more charging hassles.

As an example, a 12 volt rail can supply the Mac Mini audio server, a five volt rail can supply a solid state hard drive and another two rails can be configured for a backup drive system. Alternatively the four supply rails can be configured to provide the separate supply 12v, 5v and 3v3 rails required for low power PC motherboards like the Atom core types. Or you could have it set up to power a Mac, a solid-state hard drive, a digital interface like the Empirical Audio Off Ramp, and a DAC, all with isolated power supplies.

The SR7EHD starts at £650 and each additional regulator module will only add £115. A four rail regulated power supply will only cost £995. That’s less than £250 for each supply rail. Customised high performance DC leads will cost in the region of £35 each depending on the connector requirements. Insured shipping and packing will be charged at cost and I can quote for this once the shipping destination is known.

Regards
Paul

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Multi Rail Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2011, 05:48 pm »
Very cool.  Any pics of the case to share?

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2011, 06:50 pm »
I have been too busy recently to do any photo shoots but I should be finishing Ted_B's power supply on Friday. It uses the same case. I will photo the supply and post a pic for you so you can see how it looks.

Regards
Paul

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2011, 06:54 pm »
I have been too busy recently to do any photo shoots but I should be finishing Ted_B's power supply on Friday. It uses the same case. I will photo the supply and post a pic for you so you can see how it looks.

Regards
Paul

Great.  Is this his Mac Mini supply?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2011, 07:00 pm »
  Good news Paul. Excellent concept, good luck.

charles
SMA

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2011, 10:55 pm »
Jtwrace,

It is Ted’s Mac Mini Supply.

Charles,

Thanks for the good luck wish. I am listening to requests and trying to provide for popular ones. It takes time to sort these things out when you have to build all the products too not to mention the production engineering costs. If I did not have to build product and run the business there would be a lot more goodies available. I have over 30 years of R&D to let loose on you all.

Regards,
Paul

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:20 pm »
I have over 30 years of R&D to let loose on you all.

Regards,
Paul
Bring it!

Any other new stuff or ideas you care to share with us?   :D

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2011, 06:15 pm »
jtwrace

When I finish production engineering items I will post information.

Here are a couple of photos of the SR7EHD in the black anodised finish.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/SR7EHD004.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/SR7EHD009.jpg

This is Ted’s Mac Mini supply. It weighs a shade under 5.5 Kgm which is approx 12 LB.

Regards
Paul

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2011, 07:43 pm »
Nice.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2011, 09:39 pm »

+1   Look forward to your feedback.

sondale

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2011, 11:25 am »
Paul,

Could this be configured for a cMP2 setup? I currently have 3 linear supplies 12v @ 5A feeding a picopsu (120watts), 12v @ 1A feeding the P4 (processor) and 5v @ 2A feeding an SSD and a 1TB HDD. Another 5v  supply for USB duties would be nice!

Alan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:20 am »

Well, can you report anything about the PS?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:31 am »
Well, can you report anything about the PS?

I wish I could.  Not here yet.  Shipped this week but no update from parcel force yet.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:39 am »
I wish I could.  Not here yet.  Shipped this week but no update from parcel force yet.

:(

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:45 pm »
You're killin' us!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:55 pm »
Tell me about it.  Paul has done exactly what he said he'd do, but some back issues (as well as waiting on the new cases, etc...which I knew about anyway) kept him slightly off his original estimate.  The unit shipped Mon Nov 14th and is just now being reported as leaving overseas customs as an approved export.  I now expect it next week.   :o

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:58 pm »
Tell me about it.  Paul has done exactly what he said he'd do, but some back issues (as well as waiting on the new cases, etc...which I knew about anyway) kept him slightly off his original estimate.  The unit shipped Mon Nov 14th and is just now being reported as leaving overseas customs as an approved export.  I now expect it next week.   :o

Err.   

:hyper:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:11 pm »
New info:  Handed off to FedEx and they called saying it would be here tmrw morn.    :thumb:

Jason, did u send an umbilical?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:30 pm »
New info:  Handed off to FedEx and they called saying it would be here tmrw morn.    :thumb:

Jason, did u send an umbilical?

Woohoo!

No, I never got a response.  Do you need it?  Locking one right?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:40 pm »
Whichever one u are not using.  Coin flip?  I'd rather the non-locking, but don't care.  It may work too.