New Here - Bryston Fan

NHSkier

New Here - Bryston Fan
« on: 19 Mar 2018, 03:00 am »
Hello,
Longtime lurker finally joining the fray. I've had a modest system for a long time. It started with a NAD T747, some PSB Imagine Bs, and a HSU VT-1. I've since "grown up" a little and picked up a Cambridge CXU universal player (with some SACDs to go with it), built myself a Raspberry Pi streamer with Hifiberry Digi+ and piped that out to a Schiit Modi Multibit. I upgraded the Imagine Bs to Imagine Ts last week and also bought a used Salk Streamplayer II from one of the big used hifi dealers that everyone knows. I'm looking forward to comparing that with the Raspberry Pi/Hifiberry streamer. My reference tracks are The Eagles, Hotel California from "Hell Freezes Over," all the tracks from Oscar Peterson Trio's "We Take Requests" (HDTracks download), a bunch of concertos featuring Geza Anda, Rachmaninov Symphony No. 2 featuring Vladimir Ashkenazy with the Concertgebouw Orchestra, and Eric Clapton's "Unplugged."

I've been intrigued with Bryston for a while. I had a BUC-1 and a USB Regen between my desktop and the MIMBY/Magni 2 stack before I moved the MIMBY to my living room setup. Why both the BUC-1 and the Regen? Well, I kept getting pops when playing music on my HP desktop. I thought one or the other would eliminate them, but while they helped improve the air and weight of the presentation, neither eliminated the pops. Ironically, I ditched the BUC-1 and MIMBY/Magni 2 stack in my computer setup and replaced them with a Nuprime uDac-1 and no more pops, despite it being an inferior piece of equipment. The Nuprime gives a much flatter and less dynamic presentation though. Admittedly, the crappy source is the problem. Why the Nuprime uDac is able to filter the electrical crap better than the previous setup, I'm not sure. Headphones used are Sennheiser HD600s.

I've learned a lot reading most of the Bryston threads going back to the BDA-1/BDP-1 days. When funds permit, I'm hoping to demo a BDA-2/BDP-1 combo against the forthcoming Salk/MIMBY (connected via coaxial) setup. I prematurely grabbed a DH Labs DH-110 AES/EBU cable from another big online dealer knowing full well it might be a while before I get to connect it to either the BDA or the BDP. Such is life when you're living on a budget.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Here - Bryston Fan
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2018, 03:07 am »
Welcome Skier :thumb:
Such is life when you're living on a budget.
There is people in worse situation than you:
Life not easy when your Custom duties are 100 per cent.

ngamountains

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2018, 04:02 am »
Hi, NHSkier.  I am a recent new customer to Bryston, having bought used a pair of 28B Cubed amps, BP26/MPS-2 linestage preamp, and BDA-2 DAC.  These pieces have elevated the sound in my room clearly beyond where it had ever been before.  I am a big fan of Bryston.  Good luck in your quest and happy listening!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2018, 04:57 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC NHSkier 

NHSkier

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2018, 09:21 pm »
Thanks very much.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2018, 11:56 am »