Custom Super 7xrs

jorgen

Custom Super 7xrs
« on: 20 Jan 2017, 11:57 pm »
Hi guys
I just have reveal my upcoming treat to self. I have two pairs of Omega speakers. A custom 7" alnico floorstanders and a pair of CAMS. Well to be short, Louis had some problems with a glue, with the result that the veneer wasn't ideal. Have to say, the Omega warranty isn't just for show, Louis was just as keen to make this right and offered to build a new pair. In to this mix my misses insisted that we should stay with floor standers. We both enjoy the first pair of speakers we bought a lot. A while after I got the CAMS I first read about the 1.5 HO speakers and I found that I really wanted to try this solution. A few emails back and forth, and with the guidance from Louis I (or we?) decided for a custom Super 7xrs cabinet with two of the Alnico drivers in a 1.5configuration. They are due to arrive by the end of the month or so.

Well I used to do a little, and a little got to little and a little got more and more... so when Decware released a mono version of the ZEN with a whooping 2.8 watt per channel...I wanted a pair of those. I have heard a ZEN select from earlier, with my original floorstanders, and if the HO solution of the Alnico driver adds anything at all I'm in  for a proper treat. The setup will be a very clean and revealing system. I have found my love with single ended amps and honest, sensitive speakers.

A few weeks from now...

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Re: Custom Super 7xrs
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2017, 12:50 am »
Way to go Jorgen!  I sure am tempted by the new RS5 HO.  Two of the Alnico drivers would be even more amazing. 

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2017, 06:25 pm »
Way to go Jorgen!  I sure am tempted by the new RS5 HO.  Two of the Alnico drivers would be even more amazing.

Just when I thought I would be happy with the dual RS5's. I am hopefully getting them in a month or so. I am sure I will be VERY happy but do get back to us and let us know what you think of your dual Alnico's!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2017, 07:12 pm »
+1 on the Super 7XRS 1.5 way, look the top.

Nocturne79

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2017, 07:23 pm »
Grats thats awesome.  Have to say love the dual rs5 monitors i have fantastic speakers.

jorgen

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:32 am »
From the owners of 1.5 HO speakers they seem to be a very good speaker. Especially with super fast SET amps, and I have heard a standard 3xrs and loved the sounds. There are some really good reasons for choosing those in stead of the Alnico, and also some very good reasons to go the Alnico way. When I bought my first pair of Omega I wasn't aware that the 6.5 alnico driver was a better driver than 7" I asked for.  I just went for the bigger one and thought that would be best. The 7" Alnico  is a very good driver I have to say and my custom floor standers are a very good speaker. Still I wanted to try the 6.5" version when I bought monitors , mainly because of user feedback of the 6.5 alnico. I will use the drivers I have from the monitors in the new floor standers. I don't how know they sound, either of 1.5 HO solutions to be honest but I guess both are really good speakers.

pstrisik

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm »
From the owners of 1.5 HO speakers they seem to be a very good speaker. Especially with super fast SET amps, and I have heard a standard 3xrs and loved the sounds. There are some really good reasons for choosing those in stead of the Alnico, and also some very good reasons to go the Alnico way. When I bought my first pair of Omega I wasn't aware that the 6.5 alnico driver was a better driver than 7" I asked for.  I just went for the bigger one and thought that would be best. The 7" Alnico  is a very good driver I have to say and my custom floor standers are a very good speaker. Still I wanted to try the 6.5" version when I bought monitors , mainly because of user feedback of the 6.5 alnico. I will use the drivers I have from the monitors in the new floor standers. I don't how know they sound, either of 1.5 HO solutions to be honest but I guess both are really good speakers.

Jorgen,

You may recall that I had Super 7's with 7" Alnicos also.  I now have the Super Alnico Monitors.  The SAM drivers are definitely more refined than the 7". 

......Peter

jorgen

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:48 pm »
Hi Peter

Yeah i remember, I do believe we bought quite similar speakers the first time around. Even though I have had or rather owned a pair of speakers with the 6.5" I haven't heard them enough to review them properly. A friend borrowed them for a while when he was waiting for his 3 xrs, and later when I had them here they never got proper stands, time and opportunities to shine. When the new pair arrives I will to give them time to impress. There will be two pretty similar systems playing in our household, but with enough difference to make the comparison interesting.

roscoe65

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2017, 12:39 am »
Hi Jorgen,

I'm glad Louis is standing behind his work - I have three sets of Omega's and the cabinetry is first rate.  One pair has some very minor veneer bubbling, but they are 12 or 13 years old and the beech veneer may not have been of the same grade as is used now.

Is the custom Super 7XRS cabinet the same size/volume as the stock cabinet?  It is smaller than the other Alnico models with the exception of the CAM.  It would be interesting to hear your experience with two alnico drivers in this cabinet.  I know from my own experience that all of Louis' drivers work in different cabinet volumes, and I appreciate the flexibility of stand mounts for both placement and for moving around solo (as much as I like big speakers, being able to move them single-handedly is a priority for me).

R

stevegpt

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2017, 02:57 pm »
First time poster here. I think you'll be very happy with your speaker / amp combo. I know I am! I just put this system together -- now I have to work on presentation. Cheers, Steve

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2017, 09:41 pm »
Congratulations stevegpt and welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.  Very nice system with super high value components.  Looking forward to reading about your impressions once it's all broken in and you have your "presentation" sorted out.  My guess is that it even sounds great as you have it currently set up.  :thumb:

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 4 Feb 2017, 04:01 pm »
Hi jorgen,

Thanks and your new speakers are ready and will be going out this week. Great to hear about the Zen's mono's and it's going to be a fantastic combo.

It was great working with you and this was a very fun project. The look and sound are excellent.

Thanks for the great posts and welcome stevegpt. Great system and I also look forward to hearing about your impressions of your High Output 7's.

Thanks again,
Louis

jorgen

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2017, 03:07 pm »
Hi guys

Thanks Louis and great experience as always. Glad they will be shipped this week. Amps will arrive the 28 th this month and speakers should be in da house by then. Looking forward to hearing the HO speakers, I have heard many of Omega's drivers, but this will be a new experience
Louis and I first landed on a 3xrs cabinet on steroids, and later Louis suggested the Super 7 cab, from round one we decided HO solution and I believe 96-97 db sensitivity. Zebra wood venering.  I think it will be pretty cool.

jorgen

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2017, 09:55 am »
FED EX delivery the 20th, should expect a couple of days extra though, usually the customs have an issue..

jorgen

« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2017, 05:45 pm »
They are here and they are fantastic! Took me 20 minutes to unpack and install spikes and drivers I had from before,  which are properly matured from prior use in my monitors. Even though they are smaller than my prior speakers they sound bigger faster and with better resolution. I gave them Morphine, and they are serving me my favourite poison.

Adding a second driver really does make a difference, but also I have to admit this 6.5" Alnico driver is better than my 7" alnico. Not like day and night, but a step up, most definitely. I'm gonna have so much fun in the days to come.

In a week my new triode amps arrive! 

pstrisik

« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2017, 06:34 pm »
Jorgen,

Hey, glad they are hitting you right!

Love to see some photos and further impressions after you settle in with them.  Particularly, advantages/disadvantages of the 1.5 configuration.

I lost track, are these standard Super 7 MkII XRS cabinets (29" x 11" x 8")? 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2017, 07:08 pm »
Particularly, advantages/disadvantages of the 1.5 configuration.
+1 would be great to see some light on this subject.
Its a rarely used config, it may be very useful to music fans.

jorgen

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2017, 08:12 pm »
Yes I will post both pics and impressions when I have more hours on them. Even though the FR drivers has been used quite a bit they have been in storage the last 8 months or so, so I guess there is a possible development to expect. The second drivers are brand new and need their time to wake up. Have to say though that burn in is mystical and development is sneaking up, and I think the sound is rich and solid very quickly.  If they develop like other speakers and drivers I have had, the sound will be in

I haven't measured the cabs but I do believe they are standard 7xrs cabs. I was about to go with Super 3xrs cabs with HO Alnico drivers but I'm glad Louis just told me to go with the larger cabinets. They also came with spikes that makes them tilt a little backwards. So I am pretty sure they are standard cabs with upgraded drivers. I'm not sure where the coil is kicking in either.

I will later try write down what the up and downsides of the solution is, but I'm already experiencing more body and more detail, I also find a more 3D perspective, but haven't played much with position and placement.

jorgen

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:13 pm »
After 15 hours or so of music I can't find any disadvantages with the 1.5 HO solution. This driver is more detailed and have more attack. I also find better depth in the soundstage. The biggest difference is (of course) more in the lower end. Of course I'm biased by my expectations but this is better speaker. Still, I will not part with my old speakers, I had a small accident with and notch I made makes the sale value much lower than what they worth to me. A cool thing is the fact that I now can speakerroll back and forth.

Totally off topic; If I can make a solution, can tubeamps be hung on the wall?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2017, 09:21 pm »
Totally off topic; If I can make a solution, can tubeamps be hung on the wall?
Depending what tubes it use, unfortunately the heat will hit the transformers which is not good, but if you live in Canada...