Bryston 4B Cubed transformer buzz

Will_PWR

Bryston 4B Cubed transformer buzz
« on: 8 Dec 2016, 03:55 am »
I got my Bryston 4B Cubed in October and have been enjoying it very much.

When I first got it I noticed a little transformer buzz but was not too worried about it since I used to own a 4B ST that also had noisy transformers.

I emailed Bryston support to ask if it is normal to hear the buzz when my ears are 2 feet away from the amp.  They told me it is considered acceptable if the buzz cannot be heard more than 3 feet from the amps, therefore mine would be considered acceptable.

But lately with the colder weather, I do more late night listening when my room is really quiet and the buzzing is starting to bother me even from my listening seat.  Especially between tracks, I hear it as if it is room ambiance in the recording.

Anyone else here notice the same issue with their 4B Cubed? 

James, do I just have to learn to live with it?  I don't want to go thru the trouble of sending it back if nothing can be done.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Bryston 4B Cubed transformer buzz
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2016, 05:40 am »
Is the buzz consistent or does it change sometimes? Specifically, if you have dimmers, or maybe if the stove or fridge is running? I'm wondering if it's electrical hash that's making the transformers hum, rather than something inherent to the amp itself.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2016, 11:49 am »
I got my Bryston 4B Cubed in October and have been enjoying it very much.

When I first got it I noticed a little transformer buzz but was not too worried about it since I used to own a 4B ST that also had noisy transformers.

I emailed Bryston support to ask if it is normal to hear the buzz when my ears are 2 feet away from the amp.  They told me it is considered acceptable if the buzz cannot be heard more than 3 feet from the amps, therefore mine would be considered acceptable.

But lately with the colder weather, I do more late night listening when my room is really quiet and the buzzing is starting to bother me even from my listening seat.  Especially between tracks, I hear it as if it is room ambiance in the recording.

Anyone else here notice the same issue with their 4B Cubed? 

James, do I just have to learn to live with it?  I don't want to go thru the trouble of sending it back if nothing can be done.

That seems excessive - where are you located?  Also I would ask as stated above does it vary in a different outlet?

james

rlee8394

Will_PWR

« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2016, 06:06 pm »
The buzzing is constant. It does not vary with volume.  I've tried plugging it into different outlets around the house but it made no difference.

I actually bought the Humdinger linked to above but that made no difference - wasted my money there.   Not the humdinger's fault though since I don't think the problem is dc in the line.  I am not even sure if it is the transformers since if i put my ears close to the amp it sounds like it is coming from the back of the amp but that could just be my ears playing tricks on me due to reflections in the amp.

I used to have a Creek amp that would buzz whenever i turned on my halogen lamp but be dead silent otherwise  With the Bryston the buzzing is there even when the lamp is off and it does not get any louder when the lamp is turned on.

This actually bothered me enough that i considered selling it but then i listen to the glorious sound it makes and changed my mind. Plus I don't want to explain to potential buyers that the buzzing is normal when i know that to me it is really bothersome.

James, i am in Ottawa.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2016, 06:12 pm »
The buzzing is constant. It does not vary with volume.  I've tried plugging it into different outlets around the house but it made no difference.

I actually bought the Humdinger linked to above but that made no difference - wasted my money there.   Not the humdinger's fault though since I don't think the problem is dc in the line.  I am not even sure if it is the transformers since if i put my ears close to the amp it sounds like it is coming from the back of the amp but that could just be my ears playing tricks on me due to reflections in the amp.

I used to have a Creek amp that would buzz whenever i turned on my halogen lamp but be dead silent otherwise  With the Bryston the buzzing is there even when the lamp is off and it does not get any louder when the lamp is turned on.

This actually bothered me enough that i considered selling it but then i listen to the glorious sound it makes and changed my mind. Plus I don't want to explain to potential buyers that the buzzing is normal when i know that to me it is really bothersome.

James, i am in Ottawa.

OK - email Mike at Bryston and we will get it in and replaced the transformers for you.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

Will_PWR

« Reply #6 on: 8 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm »
OK - email Mike at Bryston and we will get it in and replaced the transformers for you.

mpickett@bryston.com

james

Thank you James.  Mike has already reached out to me.

dumanski

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2016, 03:01 am »
James are new transformers in 4b cubed plintron ? They look different then before also says made in China on transformer ...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2016, 10:59 am »
James are new transformers in 4b cubed plintron ? They look different then before also says made in China on transformer ...

We get some of our transformers from Plitron and some from other manufacturers (Eagle Rise) - depends on the model as all our transformers are custom to the specific amplifier.

james