Audirvana 3 MQA and BDP ?

Marius

Audirvana 3 MQA and BDP ?
« on: 14 Mar 2017, 08:43 am »
Hi,

Since Audirvana have updated to version 3 with MQA core decoder, I was wondering if any board member had already tried that. Seems a very affordable way of trying the MQA format with ones own ears. And worth the consequent update from version 2....

Cheers, Marius

Krutsch

Re: Audirvana 3 MQA and BDP ?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2017, 03:08 pm »
Hi,

Since Audirvana have updated to version 3 with MQA core decoder, I was wondering if any board member had already tried that. Seems a very affordable way of trying the MQA format with ones own ears. And worth the consequent update from version 2....

Cheers, Marius

Yes, I use A+ 3.0.3 at work with a portable SSD drive, a Sony PHA-3 portable DAC/amp with Sony MDR-Z7 'phones. The TIDAL MQA decoding sounds great and I highly recommend the upgrade.

reelvox

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2017, 05:53 pm »
Yes, I use A+ 3.0.3 at work with a portable SSD drive, a Sony PHA-3 portable DAC/amp with Sony MDR-Z7 'phones. The TIDAL MQA decoding sounds great and I highly recommend the upgrade.

Can you please compare Tidal MQA to hi rez masters of the same material? (Not Redbook CD). Thanks.

Krutsch

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2017, 09:29 pm »
Can you please compare Tidal MQA to hi rez masters of the same material? (Not Redbook CD). Thanks.

A lot of discussion on that topic on both the Roon and ComputerAudiophile fora. I will leave it to you to search and read. I haven't done any serious side-by-side comparisons (certainly nothing blind). My impression is that they sound pretty nice. YMMV.

witchdoctor

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2017, 11:13 am »

All you need to do is create a playlist with both a HIFI and MASTERS version of the same album and hit shuffle to compare.

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2017, 05:57 pm »
All you need to do is create a playlist with both a HIFI and MASTERS version of the same album and hit shuffle to compare.
Uhm... No. But you don't get that.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2017, 06:05 pm »
Uhm... No. But you don't get that.

uhm.. did you even try it? :duh:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2017, 06:14 pm »

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2017, 06:23 pm »

Maestro, we all appreciate the selfie but put them on facebook instead, thanks :duh:

If anyone else who actually listens to music wants to compare hirez and MQA take the challenge here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150368.0

Xinon

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2017, 08:13 pm »
Nice article about Mqa

"So, do I want this? "............No. I personally do not want this. So far, I have seen no evidence that what this is doing actually improves quality.
http://archimago.blogspot.no/2017/06/measurements-audioquest-dragonfly-black_24.html?m=1#comment-form

zoom25

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2017, 04:47 am »
Anyone try out Amarra 4?

I'm trying out the demo and comparing it against Audirvana Plus and Bryston BDP-1. WAV files as usual.

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2017, 04:33 pm »
Nice article about Mqa

"So, do I want this? "............No. I personally do not want this. So far, I have seen no evidence that what this is doing actually improves quality.
http://archimago.blogspot.no/2017/06/measurements-audioquest-dragonfly-black_24.html?m=1#comment-form

You can't "see" MQA evidence  :o

You can only HEAR it.   :thumb: