Plasma tv lines ?

2bigears

Plasma tv lines ?
« on: 1 Aug 2014, 02:06 am »
 :D.  Hello all, sparked up my old Pannie plasma tv after a year of storage and it has colored vertical lines random down across the set. Maybe 20 lines in all. Is this a bad sign ? Is the tv seen its days,,?  Not that many miles on her either ,, darn ! Any help thanks a lot ,, darn again,, really is a new tv , TC-P54G20,, made in Aug 2010
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2014, 03:51 am by 2bigears »

mcgsxr

Re: Plasma tv lines ?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2014, 11:58 am »
It certainly sounds ominous.  Does it have a factory "screen wipe" type thing in the service menu you could try?  Whatever it is called when you try to wipe the screen of burned in images. 

bajaed

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2014, 01:17 pm »
Try everything but it is more than likely a bad panel. Cheaper to replace than repair. Happened to me about a month out of warranty but I was able to get it covered.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2014, 03:58 pm »
 :D. Thks guys. Does the panel have to have miles on her to fail. This tv has 50 hours of run time .
          If the panel is the problem,, good Lord these plasma tv's are junk.  :D

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2014, 04:20 pm »
Could you please share with us how you stored the plasma TV?  Was it standing upright on a stand or lying flat on its back?

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2014, 04:39 pm »
 :D it was on its stand as you would play it. But dormant. There was 2 long trips on some very bumpy roads. This is where I set it up again , from the long road trip back to my 2nd home where and when I noticed the lines . The lines are very thin and colored. Vertical and right across the screen. Random widths between but I would say there are 7 or so.   :D   I surely hope it's a module or loose connection ?

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:22 pm »
There have been questions posted on the web about similar issues to yours.  Some questions are even answered by repair guys. 

If you like to fix things it might be worth your time to do some google'ing.  I see that www.shopjimmy.com has TV parts for fair prices.

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:39 pm »
 :D. I was just looking at shop jimmy. Might call them . I hope it's a simple cheap fix or I need to find out what to buy for a new tv. A basic tv with great picture for movies and vids..... Hummmm.    I really dislike JUNK ..that guy that fixed his flat screen with a baseball bat is wayyyy too funny.  Holy Moly that's laugh out loud funny stuff,,,, made me anyway.. Ha  :D

brooklyn

« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:57 pm »
Hi 2bigears, I don't know anything about plasma's but as far as new TV's go.... all I have ever owned are Sony's,
both TV's and flat screens over the years I never had a lick of problem's with them, some I gave away that were
still working fine. That is my personal experience but mileage may vary.

Best picture quality would go to the plasma's but my last two sets are Sony LED's, while not as sharp as a Plasma
they are very nice sets.

Hope that helps and sorry about the old Pannie.

2bigears

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:06 pm »
 :D. Time to research a bit.  They still make plasma sets I do believe.. Over 55" in plasma and new ,, hummmmm..... What to do ?  :D

bajaed

« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:42 pm »
Love plasma. Will have one as long as they are available.

Might not hurt to call customer service and complain. Talk to where you bought it.

bajaed

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:43 pm »
Plasmas are cheap enough I would get an extended warranty next time. I never buy warranties but will on a tv in the future.

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2014, 10:07 pm »
 :D  90% it's the panel.  So told by a good tech. 50 hours or not.  Good Lord this stuff is junk. Plasma is dying because its heavy and thick. Power ratings too I would think. Soon they will be a thing of the past. Dam
      55" or pure brand new junk. Ha. Ya gotta love electronics.  :D   
          Just went into the basement and a couple of the lines are gone on the left side. Hummm
    A few in the middle are strong and the one that were on the right have gone too.
      I'm going to leave to leave her on for days and see heat happens ..  :D
    Won't get out the Louie Slugger just yet ?

srb

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2014, 10:39 pm »
Who knows, maybe you can help goose it back into shape.  Try something like or similar to Menu > Setup > Anti image retention > Scrolling bar and see if that helps.  Certainly couldn't hurt.

Steve

2bigears

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm »
 :D.  Thanks Steve and all,,,, maybe sitting around for 1 year put this puppy to sleep.  Maybe a little burn time will loosen her up.  Good Lord my fingers and toes are crossed.  I will try that Steve.  And constant "on" seems to be doing a thing too !  These lines are thin as threads , the tech said it's 90% new panel time when this happens,, 50 hours or not.    :thumb:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2014, 11:10 pm »
 How 'bout this method of repair? Looks pretty low tech...even easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ykPsV2voYU

2bigears

« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2014, 01:06 am »
 :D. Haha,,,, that guy is my newest frickin' hero. I Love that clip. We all have done it ,, hit it a bit or jiggle it roughly.....  Ok, I'm getting out the 52oz Easten Aluminum,,,, see how his method works on my set ! Ha   Too dam funny.... Should blend right in with the new Trailer Park Boy vid I will be watching tonight..  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:32 pm »
 :D :D. Nothing but Happy Faces here today as when I woke after leaving the tv on for days,, the thin colored lines have GONE....  Good Lord I am blessed  by the plasma Gods and will not need to buy another set . I am soooo frickin' happy I can't believe it. Made the long weekend even sweeter. I would think the long idle storage period may have had something to do with this. Or the long bumpy ride in the moving truck ?
    Now I'm afraid to turn it off ,,,, ha !  Like Cream sang,, "I'm so glad " ....   Easton back in the garage !

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #18 on: 7 Aug 2014, 12:27 am »
Glad it's worked out.  :thumb:
I've passed that "bat" video around, and was thinking about posting it again as a reminder, and possible solution.   :lol: