Stuffing BIB speakers?

acwd1950

Stuffing BIB speakers?
« on: 18 Sep 2009, 02:19 am »
I just finished the boxes and havent put the final touches on them. Anyways I thought I better test them and get them dialed in before the finishing process starts. I read that you should be able to hear from 300 Hz and down from the horn. Ive got about 10 oz of stuffing in each one of these and the lowest its got is about 350 Hz. What am I doing wrong? I put stuffing behind the driver down past the bottom edge and filled the bottom of the horn! The driver is a Tang Band W4-1052SD and used the box size from zillaspeaks website. Any suggestions??

Steve

rjbond3rd

Re: Stuffing BIB speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:00 pm »
Did you check for air leaks?

acwd1950

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:07 pm »
I glued all of the joints and screwed them together. Couldnt see light at any of the seams. Even ran some glue on the inside of the joints to be on the safe side.

Steve

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:58 am »
Have you tried it with just the top half stuffed?

acwd1950

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2009, 01:45 pm »
Jim,
I started off with the area behind the driver and some at the bend of the horn. Last night I was listening to them and decided that the bass was too tight for me and removed half of the stuffing out of the bottom. That opened them up and sound better. Maybe I should remove all of the stuffing out of the bend is what your saying? This is my first pair of horns so bare with me

mightym

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2009, 10:56 pm »
As I understand it, Typical stuffing for BIB's is from the point to just above the driver, and a layer on the bottom of the bend, with some directly behind the driver to mitigate reflections through the cone.

I'm getting ready to make some sawdust on a pair for one of the Recession Buster 2 kits I bought last month.

My plan is to line the front of the divider in the area of the woofer, and the bottom of the bend with some acoustic foam, and tease out some poly to put in the top above the woofer.

I'll let you know how it went when I finish.

John