Has anyone tried ANTICABLES?

geowak

Has anyone tried ANTICABLES?
« on: 4 Oct 2012, 07:50 pm »
Looking to try some different speaker cable for my Magnepan MMG's. I have some generic 16 gauge speaker wire made by GE. Looks like monster cable. Also had some 12 gauge by Pro Sound audio that upon inspection has about 1 inch section that turned black in some sections of the copper!

The only cable I have that I like is Analysis Plus Oval cables. I use these in another system, but they are a bit pricey.

So has anyone tried the budge priced ANTICABLES by Paul Speltz? What are your opinions of these speaker cables?

avta

Re: Has anyone tried ANTICABLES?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2012, 08:03 pm »
I have. Thought they were too bright for my ears.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2012, 08:08 pm »
Perform a Search for Anticables. There's a lot of information available. :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2012, 08:14 pm »
System dependent!

I've tried them and wish I still had them. I let them go when I thought the they were irritating in my system at the time. However, I found out later that my speakers at the time were irritating. Now, I wish I had the Speltz cables back to try with my present speakers.

Not a clear answer, but I do not think one is possible. Try and see. They are not expensive and usually available used.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2012, 08:28 pm »
That's all I use and I love them.  Are there better, I am sure that there are.  But I feel you have to spend big money.

Thought I would ad my speaker cables (anti cables) are 18 inches long that's it.  Not sure any would make much of a difference at that length.  My balanced interconnects (anti cables) are 1 meter. 
« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2012, 08:20 pm by playntheblues »

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2012, 10:22 pm »
I had ANTICABLES and they were just fine. I now have blue jeans BJC ten White 10AWG cables $.99 a foot and I think they are a better speaker cable.
 Just my opinion. Lot of cables cost big bucks a foot. Never had any of them. Not sure if I'd hear a big difference.

Cheers
                                                                       Charlie

gregcss

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm »
I started with BJC and preferred Anticables. After a year I decided to try Morrow SP3 and liked them a little better so I kept them. I still have the anticables for sale: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=108474.0. While anticables are flexible they are much more stiff than other cables since they are solid core.

decal

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2012, 12:23 am »
I didn't care for them in my system. That doesn't mean you won't like them in yours. What I'm saying is,try them for yourself. It's the only way you'll really know for sure.

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #8 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:24 am »
Jumping back in, I should say that I am using Blue Jeans 10 guage 5000 series Belden cable. Just look at the Blue Jeans site if that's confusing. I am quite happy with it. As Charles says, it's only a buck a foot and so there is little risk if you don't like them. I do... in my system which is high tech, but low end. Still sounds great to me, tho!

I got the Blue Jeans cable because a respected AC'er recommended them to me. I am quite pleased with them.

You know, there are diminishing returns. Both the Speltz cable and Blue Jeans seem popular for those without lots to spend, but with ears for good sound.

Just my two (more) cents.

ratso

« Reply #9 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:34 am »
blue jeans cables are well built, cheap, and the owner is one of the great guys in audio that deserves to be supported. in case no one remembers he is a part time lawyer and went after monster cable a couple of years ago when monster tried to bully (sue) small business owners around america who happened to have the name "monster" in their business name  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: x 1 million

sounddog

« Reply #10 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:42 am »
I think the anticables are worth trying, especially since Paul has a good return policy. His interconnects were a little too bright for my system, but they had a lot of clarity and presence. I suggest talking to Paul about your system first, because he may suggest a different version of his cables that isn't shown on his website (at least that was the case for his ICs). A good guy to deal with.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 5 Oct 2012, 04:07 am »
I didn't like them. Not sure they will sound different than any old ofc copper magnet wire either...

CSI

« Reply #12 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:54 pm »
I use them in my system and like them a lot. Clear, open, non-fatiguing. But as others point out, everything is system dependent - particularly cables. The fascinating thing about Anticables is that they should appeal to three kinds of audiophiles: those who think wire is just wire (because that's all they are, no tricky design philosophy), those who agree with a lot of wire mfgs that the big sonic difference among cables comes from dielectric absorption and the less or thinner the dielectric the better (the dielectric on anticables is a thin coat of paint) and to audio cheapskates (like me) who think that most cables are wretchedly over priced.

scott_man

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2012, 06:39 pm »
Tried the interconnects... They are amazing right out of the box/bag (no break-in time).  I have been using them for the last 5+ years.  I really like them.

Now, I am considering the speaker wire as well.

I haven't tried a lot of other options since using these... great price/performance factor. 

Scott

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2012, 03:10 am »
I didn't like them. Not sure they will sound different than any old ofc copper magnet wire either...

they shouldn't, considering that's what they are.   :wink:  i have a pair a friend gave me; i like them, but i have never tried them in my main system...

doug s.