Van Alstine Insight SL+ preamp

sachi

Van Alstine Insight SL+ preamp
« on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:30 pm »
Sooo..thinking about buying this preamp as a stop gap while i plan my hotrodded Aikido build.

I got about 700$ to spend and I am looking at this and the AUdible Illusions Modulus 3 (not the newer 3A).

I know one is a tube and the AVA is a solid state preamp.

My questions is how would the AVA perform when compared to say a Krell KRC-2 or a PLinius CD-LAD preamp?

The preamp will be paired with a Plinius SA-100MK2 driving Magnepan 1.6s. Source is an assemblage DAC 2.7.

Appreciate any inputs that can help make my decision smoother.

coke

Re: Van Alstine Insight SL+ preamp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:42 pm »
Have you read the 30 day Satisfaction Guarantee on the website?

:thumb:

sachi

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2011, 05:49 pm »
Yes I did...but someone must have a few opinions to share that would be worth it in helping me narrow down the choices.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:00 pm »
I have the Insight SL+ for about 8 months now. Its excellent, very, very good. I dont have any other comparison with these particular preamps. But I am very fussy and this preamp for this price is an excellent choice. I wouldnt hesitate at all. I use it to drive the Ultravalve amp and its a wonderful combination. Also as a bonus the headphone circuit is excellent as well and will drive low impedance phones with authority.

You wont have a problem selling this if and when you decide to move on.

All the best
Alex
 :D :D

sachi

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:01 pm »
Just read somepolace that the insight comes with an attached 2 prong power cord. Is this in fact true?

ANy reason AVA went this route with the iNsight?

mark funk

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:25 pm »
Yes that is true. And not just the Insight. I think all of Frank's stuff is made that way.  :thumb:

:smoke:

rcag_ils

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:43 pm »
Here we go again.......

sachi

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jan 2011, 07:51 pm »
If this has been hashed out already..would appreciate some links as i am curious to know the reasoning.

trebejo

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:14 pm »
If this has been hashed out already..would appreciate some links as i am curious to know the reasoning.

You can use the search function for that purpose. Someone else could use it for you, but ultimately, you are the one that knows what you are looking for.

To sum up, the reasoning is that the attached cord works just fine and it saves money. Other questions, it is best to call Frank and ask him.

Minn Mark

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2011, 08:58 pm »
Cords aside,

I had an AVA (Omegastar) pre-amp for about ten years. Then I upgraded to Insight (not Insight+, so I dont have the most recent model). I have not listened to Krell or other models, in part because I dont need to. I was extremely happy with my old AVA unit, but am amazed at the new Insight circuitry.  The 30 day guarantee is a no brainer. If you live with the AVA unit for a couple of days, I'll bet a buffalo nickel it stays with you.

Oh yes, and you never have to worry about the power cord coming loose.  8)

Cheers,

Mark

sachi

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2011, 09:08 pm »
Gotcha..did some searching around in the "intergalactic wastebin" with regards to the power cords.

WEll the insight SL + is being offered with a remote option for a little under 700 by a local seller. Going to throw it in my system and see how it sounds.

trebejo

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2011, 09:23 pm »
$700 for a current Insight+ in good shape with remote is a fine deal. If it's original owner, you might still get warranty coverage.

fwiw I have resisted getting a remote control just to make sure I get some exercise.  :weights:

sachi

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2011, 09:27 pm »
Seller is single owner and has had it for 2 and half years..so just another 6 months of warranty left..but its still something :)

Should be plenty of time for me to build my aikido linestage. 8)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2011, 02:34 am »
The power cord is very long compared to anything else I have ever had on any other hifi stuff....about 8 or 9 ft long. I did a review somewhere in this circle.

Alex

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 4 Feb 2011, 02:39 am »
I have not yet heard a power cord make a difference in sound in any of my gear.  And the 2 prong cord helps prevent ground loops.