How to burn Hi-Res downloads

Stylus

How to burn Hi-Res downloads
« on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:19 pm »
I have the hi-res download of NIN ? The slip and wanted to burn it to a DVD for playback on my Oppo 980.  Is this possible?  The one I tried did not work.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: How to burn Hi-Res downloads
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2009, 05:57 pm »
One way to do it is to convert it to DVD-Audio (MLP) so the Oppo sees it as a DVD-Audio and either plays it normally as a 24/96 DVD-A or sends it out 96k via coax (assuming LPCM is set for 96k or greater in the oppo menu).  The software called DVDAudio Solo has a trial license that allows for up to five full discs being burnt, or unlimited if burnt DVD is less than 700mb (i.e test a few tracks). 
http://www.cirlinca.com/download.htm

I have an Oppo 980 (and SLIP in 96k; I use wavpack and Transporter to listen via 24/96) so I'll try both this idea as well as just burning 24/96 wav files for coax output (likely won't work via analog or coax).. 

EDIT:  Darn, my trial expired.  Try it, though.  Just drag the flac or wav files over, then hit export and write.  It will create a DVD_Audio disc that the Oppo will handle like any other.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2009, 02:21 pm by ted_b »

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2009, 07:27 pm »
Ted,

Do you know if this works (DVD-A stream on coax out) on all of the Oppo's or is it just specific to the DV-980?  Apparently they just sell this one and the BDP-83 now.

Tom

Stylus

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2009, 07:28 pm »
Awesome, I will give it a try.  :)

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2009, 08:43 pm »
Ted,

Do you know if this works (DVD-A stream on coax out) on all of the Oppo's or is it just specific to the DV-980?  Apparently they just sell this one and the BDP-83 now.

Tom

Tom, ''m not sure.  If your Oppo has a menu item that allows LPCM to 192k then I would assume it works.  There is a quote somewhere on the net that says the Oppo may be allowed to send 192k via coax (seems illegal) because it gets around the copywright by also truncating to 16 bits.  Not sure, and not sure how to tell...any DAC I've had lights up the correct sample rate (i.e 192k, 176k for HRX made into DVD-A, etc) but doesn't allow for any bit depth analysis.  Sounds good though.  :)

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2009, 08:53 pm »
Actually I don't have an Oppo at the moment.  Just thought about picking one up as a transport to use for this reason with the Bryston DAC.  It tells you the native sample rate, but of course no bit depth.  Probably best to stick with a used 980, but the BD-83 would be nice  :wink:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2009, 09:14 pm »
Actually I don't have an Oppo at the moment.  Just thought about picking one up as a transport to use for this reason with the Bryston DAC.  It tells you the native sample rate, but of course no bit depth.  Probably best to stick with a used 980, but the BD-83 would be nice  :wink:

That's what I'm using it with right now, the Bryston DAC, a very very nice sub-$2k offering. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2009, 10:26 pm »
UPDATE:  I downloaded the trial of the upgraded version and it worked.  I burnt a 24/96 NIN "The Slip".  It lights up the Bryston 96k light via Oppo 980 coax/SPDIF oput, and plays very nicely through analog outs too.  it shows on the Oppo front panel as DVD-Audio LPCM.

Stylus

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2009, 10:35 pm »
Great, I will try this as soon as I get home tonight.  I am just using the analog out from the Oppo into a no video 2-channel system.  Primary source is vinyl, but this hi-res digital is starting to peak my interests.  aa

Stylus

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:34 am »
Worked like a charm!  :D

This opens up a whole new avenue now finding hi-res downloads!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:41 am »

YES!!  This makes my day.  This is exactly why I wanted to start a HiRez Circle; so folks could find new ways to enjoy great analog-sounding music!   :thumb: :thumb:  Ain't the internet wonderful!  :)

BTW, to buy the software for unlimited DVD-Audio burning is only like fifty bucks!

avta

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:04 am »
How about a favorite program to burn DVD-A for Mac Os?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2009, 02:38 am »

Dunno, but I'll get looking.  I know that the DVD-Audio author Sourceforge project has OSX capability.  See
http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/

mathgeek97

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2009, 07:55 pm »

Dunno, but I'll get looking.  I know that the DVD-Audio author Sourceforge project has OSX capability.  See

I've had success using http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/ on Windows and playing the DVD-Audio discs in my OPPO BDP-83.  It's open source, and it's possible that the sourcecode is already set for compiling in OSX. 

Stylus

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jun 2009, 01:35 am »

YES!!  This makes my day.  This is exactly why I wanted to start a HiRez Circle; so folks could find new ways to enjoy great analog-sounding music!   :thumb: :thumb:  Ain't the internet wonderful!  :)

BTW, to buy the software for unlimited DVD-Audio burning is only like fifty bucks!
Yeah, I'll be buying the software.  Looking forward to trying some more albums so I can get a better feel for what this hi-res stuff has to offer.

RadioWonder

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2009, 02:37 pm »

I tried installing the latest Windows version of DVD-Audio author and got error messages.
I left all the boxes checked before installing.
I am using Vista Home Premium.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

baldrick

« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2011, 05:01 pm »
I've looked everywhere for a DVD audio creator for the Mac, and have come up pretty empty.  There are a few open source applications out there that create DVD-A files, but since most DVD players do not support the DVD-A standard I was looking to create DVD-V files that I could play back on a standard DVD player that can output 24 bit 96 KHz data through the coaxial digital output.

So I had to resort to Windows and this program:
http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

Did the trick for me.  It basically outputs a VIDEO_TS folder that I can burn to DVD using any DVD burning software.
The problem is that it is only Windows based.  I I had to resort to running it in Parallels on my Mac, but this arrangement at least gets the job done properly.

jamesg11

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2011, 03:21 am »
Toast (Roxio) will do this - aiff 24/96 setting in Custom on dvd-video window - burn.  Works.  I've found issues with accessing individual tracks - returns to track it was at (needs autoplay setting), after playing your single selected track.

NastyChipmonk

« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2011, 03:42 am »
I make all mine under Mac OS X with a free program called 'Burn' 

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net

Works very well.

baldrick

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2011, 01:15 pm »
Burn is a nice easy to use program with a shortcoming.

It cannot create high resolution video DVDs.  It can only create audio DVD-As.

For those of us that do not have DVD-A or universal players Burn is pretty useless.
Remember that most standard DVD players can play back and pass through 24 bit 96kHz audio files through their coaxial port using standard DVD-video.  Burn cannot handle that type of DVD authoring.