BatteryBUSS group buy!!!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
BatteryBUSS group buy!!!
« on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:23 pm »
At the encouragement of jtwrace, Konut and several others I am going to open up a presale and group buy pricing on the BatteryBUSS.  If there is enough interest in the next 2 days I will proceed with the sale of the units.  Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

I know that there is a lot of battery powered gear out there that will benefit from the BatteryBUSS and the MacMini is just one of them.

Here is what the group buy will get you:

The BatteryBUSS - housed in an extruded aluminum chassis w/PowerCon Inlet, XLR 12V high current output, mini-XLR 12V low current output (< 2A)
6' 10ga battery cable with PowerCon connector and battery lugs
6' XLR 14ga output cable / please specify termination
6' mini-XLR 16ga output cable / please specify termination

This is the basic package and it will sell for $350.00 + a flat $20.00 shipping cost in the continental US.

Let me know what you all think and I am looking forward to making this happen.

Dave

ZLS

Re: BatteryBUSS group buy!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:31 pm »
    Dave,

The question that I have is this; what is the cost to have my Mach2 Mini modified.  Whether the money is going to you, or going to Mach2 Music,
this money is still coming out of my pocket. 
    Also, what is the time frame to get my Mach2 Mini modified? 

highfilter

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:34 pm »
This sounds great, Dave. Except I have the same questions as ZLS. I'm only interested in this for my Mac Mini, and depending on the cost and time that it takes Mach2Music, it can swing me either way.

Congratulations on getting this out. I knew you were excited about this for awhile.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2011, 06:35 pm »
    Dave,

The question that I have is this; what is the cost to have my Mach2 Mini modified.  Whether the money is going to you, or going to Mach2 Music,
this money is still coming out of my pocket. 
    Also, what is the time frame to get my Mach2 Mini modified? 

I'll find out from those guys and let you know ASAP.

Dave

dmccombs

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:47 pm »
We just got back from Axpona and are getting caught up.  We are also looking at how the production version of the mod will be done, and its cost.  Please give us a few days to sort things out.

Turn around time will be short (lets say 3 business days or less - if you schedule it in).  We will then ship back via USPS Priority Mail.

This obviously voids the Apple guarantee, so this needs to be clear.  IF folks don't charge their battery and the Mac Mini goes down hard, Mach2 can't be held responsible.  Blah, blah, blah.

We are excited to offer this great sounding mod, but we want to do it right.

The Mach2 prototypes and the battery powered prototypes that we ran at Axpona worked flawlessly and sounded superb.  It will be worth the short wait.   :thumb:

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2011, 07:54 pm »
IF folks don't charge their battery and the Mac Mini goes down hard, Mach2 can't be held responsible.  Blah, blah, blah.
Darrell

Why not leave the CTEK charger plugged in and on the battery all the time?  There is no difference plugged in or not...

dmccombs

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:10 pm »
That is how people should use it, but sometimes people get "creative".  My point is we will need a disclaimer.  Apple nor Mach2 will provide a warranty.
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2011, 09:24 pm by dmccombs »

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:31 pm »
This may be a dumb question, but it will clearly show my lack of knowledge/expertise:  would the BatteryBUSS also be powerful enough to power a DAC (say a Tranquility SE just as an example  :)) along with a Mac Mini?

Although I would guess that this would also require changes to the power supply of the DAC?

With the interest in powering DAC boards and USB/SPDIF interfaces off battery (and I know first hand how much better my JKeny modified HiFace sounded powered off battery), this would seem like a real winner....

Randy

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2011, 08:41 pm »
That is how people should use it, but sometimes people get "creative".  My point is we will need a disclaimer.  Apple nor Mach2 will provide a guarantee.
Me, three.

The end user needs to understand that battery powered gear is a completely different animal from AC powered gear.  Anyone that doubts this shoul re-read the end of this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83220.0  Batteries can ruin your whole day even if they are "only 12V".  On the other hand, there is nothing like the clarity and sonics of a well done, low impedance battery power supply.  Batteries are good by themselves for some applications, but the low-impedance supply is THE DEAL for audio... at least in my universe.  Thank you, Gary Dodd  :thumb:

I'll have pricing ASAP on the Mach2 end of the equation.  Other 12VDC powered gear is not a problem.  All I need to know is the termination needed to mate with that gear.  I will not accept any payment until the minimum number of reservations are in the queue.

Dave

schw06

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:07 pm »
Count me in for one.
David

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:08 pm »
This may be a dumb question, but it will clearly show my lack of knowledge/expertise:  would the BatteryBUSS also be powerful enough to power a DAC (say a Tranquility SE just as an example  :)) along with a Mac Mini?

Although I would guess that this would also require changes to the power supply of the DAC?

With the interest in powering DAC boards and USB/SPDIF interfaces off battery (and I know first hand how much better my JKeny modified HiFace sounded powered off battery), this would seem like a real winner....

Randy
The answer is yes and no, of course.  As you stated, there are changes that would need to be made to the Tranquility to operate on DC that the current design (of the Tranquility) will not support.  It requires =/- power rails to operate.  The power supply of the Tranquility SE is very well designed and executed and I would not screw with that, at all.  Let it live on AC where it belongs.

There are a bunch of other DACs out there that will be very happy on the BatteryBUSS.  These little guys all draw < .5A and that is nothing for the BatteryBUSS.  The BB will deliver any amount of current that is needed up to about 10A continuous.  This should be plenty for any battery gear that I know of and is not really the current handling limitation.  The limitation will be run time/AH capacity of the battery that the BatteryBUSS will serve.  On most 12V gear you do not want the battery supply to drop below 11.9V under load.  Because of this, I have decided to include measurement point outputs (jacks) on the BB to make monitoring easy with a multimeter.  I may offer a separate voltage display as an accessory later.   

Among these is the ARCAM rDAC http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,solo,DACs,rDac.htm, which is a good sounding unit for ~ $600.00.  I just finished modifying one for a customer and it went from good to great for ~ $100.00.  It runs on 6VDC and I can add Fixed Voltage regulators to the BatteryBUSS for not a lot of money.  Any DAC that uses a wallwart power supply will work with the BatteryBUSS with the proper connector.

Basically, the HC output will handle anything up to ~ 10A using the Neutrik XLR connectors that I will use.  If someone wants more current handling, I can install Neutrik PowerCons at the output side.  The Mini-Xlr connectors are rated @ 5A per leg, but I think that limiting the LC side of things will be my recommendation as well as the 16ga wire that I will use to build the cable harnesses that I will supply.

Dave 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:09 pm »
Count me in for one.
David
You got it, David.

Thanks.

<><

Dave

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:14 pm »
What does the BatteryBuss do?  Does it have a battery?  If not, is it designed for a specific battery?  Does it charge the battery?  If so, what kind of charging circuit does it use?  Does it filter the battery supply?  Does it regulate to 12v precisely or output in the 13 to 14V range? Can it regulate voltage down to 5V or 3.3V.  Can it be configured for a split +/-12v?

I'm just trying to figure out what this does that my SLA battery/charger/filter/regulator setup doesn't do.

Russ

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2011, 09:35 pm »
What does the BatteryBuss do?  Does it have a battery?  If not, is it designed for a specific battery?  Does it charge the battery?  If so, what kind of charging circuit does it use?  Does it filter the battery supply?  Does it regulate to 12v precisely or output in the 13 to 14V range? Can it regulate voltage down to 5V or 3.3V.  Can it be configured for a split +/-12v?

I'm just trying to figure out what this does that my SLA battery/charger/filter/regulator setup doesn't do.

Russ
Russ, go to this thread first.  It will answer most of your questions: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=93394.msg933256#msg933256

Here are some specific answers:

Does it filter the battery supply? - Yes it does.  It also reduces the output impedance of the typical battery from 1 ohm or more down to a few milliohms.  It also creates a current well that will dump very high amounts of low impedance current instantaneously.

No, it is not a regulated 12V supply.  It supplies battery voltage.  LDO regulators capable of handling prodigious amounts of current at extremely low output impedance are very pricey.

Yes, I can configure any type of regulated output below 10V at <3A  for a small additional cost.  These will also be individually filtered.

Split 12V?  Uh, no.

That is a question that people like Darrel, Kevin and Danny will have to answer.  I could tell you but it is my dog in this fight  :D

Dave

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:04 pm »
O.K.  I get it now.  Thanks.

ZLS

« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:04 pm »
    Dave,

What type of battery do you recommend for the buss? 
    A car battery? 
    Any idea what such a battery would cost? 

Thanks

ultrafi

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:05 pm »
Battery powered Tranquility huh?

Well, I just put a call in to Dave so that we may discuss exactly this.

That said, I'd need to know how many units we we're talking about.  So, if you're a taker either call me at 513 697-1187 or email me.

Cost would be less that a Tranquility SE; but, the exact number would determine the exact cost.  Something south of $1500.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:12 pm »
    Dave,

What type of battery do you recommend for the buss? 
    A car battery? 
    Any idea what such a battery would cost? 

Thanks

You don't want to use anything other than an activated glass mat (AGM) type battery IMO.  They are rugged, do not out gas, can be mounted in any orientation and are not finicky like some other batteries when it come to charging.  You MUST have a battery that does not out gas when using one indoors.  Regular lead acid batteries generate gases that can be explosive - not the thing you want indoors.  Plus the gas is highly corrosive and will corrode anything around it.

Dave

ZLS

« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm »
You don't want to use anything other than an activated glass mat (AGM) type battery IMO.  They are rugged, do not out gas, can be mounted in any orientation and are not finicky like some other batteries when it come to charging.  You MUST have a battery that does not out gas when using one indoors.  Regular lead acid batteries generate gases that can be explosive - not the thing you want indoors.  Plus the gas is highly corrosive and will corrode anything around it.

Dave

Such as an Optima Battery? 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:18 pm »
Such as an Optima Battery?

Yep.  Just like that.

Dave