BatteryBUSS update!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: BatteryBUSS update!
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:10 pm »
Attention Group Buy Guys!!!

I am beginning the shipment of BatteryBUSSes this week in the order that they came in.

You are gonna like it!

Dave

praedet

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jun 2011, 06:58 pm »
Awesome!

JDUBS

« Reply #42 on: 7 Jun 2011, 07:04 pm »
The BB will take care of the output impedance issue.  Looks like a killer battery for your application.

Dave

Thanks Dave!  :thumb:

-Jim

dmccombs

« Reply #43 on: 9 Jun 2011, 02:42 pm »
I got my BatteryBuss last night.  I only have a couple hours on it so it is still breaking in.  Some things are clear already.

1)  Putting the Mach2 Server on a battery gives a nice sound improvement.  I have been running this way for a coupl emonths now and am used to the sond from this setup.

2)  When I plugged the Mach2 into the BatteryBuss (BB from now on), the sound got smoother and the noise floor got quieter.  Everthing got a little cleaner and as some folks said, the sound came out of nowhere.  The speakers disappeared.  It was a nice improvement.  :dance:

3)  The BB also has cables for harddrives (provided you tell Dave the connections you need when ordering your BB).  I had the hard drive plugged into MajikBusses before, and a I use the MBS Firewire Cable that has no power running through the cable.  It's a pretty good sounding setup.  :thumb:

When I unplugged the hard drive from the MajikBuss and plugged it into the BB, the sound
improved again.  The noise floor got quieter yet again.  The soundstage got wider and taller.  Vocals became more real.  Again, music jumped out as the speakers disappaered.   :banana piano:

I use a MBS Firewitre cable that has the power cut so I know all power being provided to the hard drive comes from the BB, and no power is running alongside the music signal.  I am guessing that people with standard Firewire cables will get very good results with the BB.  Those with the MBS (or another Firewire cable with the power cut) will gain even more.

4)  I was able to utilize the BB for two devices and both times, the noise floor got quieter and the sound improved noticably.  The BB comes with 3 connections so people with certain DACs may be able to power them from the BB.  Then you would get a triple wammy.   :lol:  I don't have such a DAC, but I am quite happy with the improvement I am seeing from the Mach2 Server and the external hard drive.  Hmmm, maybe surgery can be done to my phono preamp.   :lol:

I will report back in a few days if there is any big changes after break-in.  Dave mentioned that some of the parts in the BB will break-in.  I'm very happy with it right out of the box.  Any improvements from break-in will be bonus.

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

tasar

« Reply #44 on: 9 Jun 2011, 07:56 pm »
Just to clear things here Darrel. you mention both powering your Solid state HD from AC delivered by the MagicBuss. Then you infer you're powering(not powering) the drive thru Firewire cable....not sure of what this means ?

Anyway, with the HD powered from the BB, you hear improvements and that the HD is not gathering any power from the Mach2 thru your Firewire cable as this is not possible. This begs the question, will those of us with "normal" Firewire have a compromise. Further, for those of us with the "standard" Oxford chipped Datatale drives powered from a walwart, what power (detrimental current) is running thru firewire, from our drives to the Mach2 ? I know, stupid questions, but inquiring minds need to know.

dmccombs

« Reply #45 on: 9 Jun 2011, 08:35 pm »
Taser,

Some people power thier external hard drive through thier Firewire cable. Most Firewire cables have a power lead for this.

You can also plug some hard drives into the wall.  It is my understanding that when you do this, the hard drive will pull power from both.  If this is not the case, please let me know.

Regardless of how power is pulled, having the power lead in the firewire cut prevents EMI type noise from feeding back through the power lead to the Mac Mini.  Many people have found benefit in using the MBS Firewire cable or some other cable that has the power cut.

I am guessing that people with standard Firewire cables will get very good results with the BB.  Those with the MBS (or another Firewire cable with the power cut) will gain even more.  I will test this in the next few days.  Dave is getting me a 12vdc cable that I can use with a Datatale drive and a standard Firewire cable.  You will owe me a beer when we meet in person someday though for having me listen through a standard firewire cable again.   :thumbdown:   It burns, it burns...    :lol:

Darrell
www.mach2music.com

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #46 on: 9 Jun 2011, 11:55 pm »
Thanks for the comments, Danny.

I was thinking of something like this (12v LiFeMnPO4):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Valence-Lithium-Ion-12V-battery-/260742780889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb57b17d9

REALLY low internal resistance (although, perhaps it doesn't matter with the BatteryBUSS).  "Only" 40amp hrs of capacity but better rechargeability than an SLA.

-Jim
That does look very interesting.

The one thing I would ask is about the charger.  The listing makes it sound like a standard AGM battery charger will work.  It does say the charge controller is not included.  Normally LiFePO4 batteries need special chargers.  Best if they actually balance charge the individual cells.   

Have not found much info on the LiFeMnPO4 chemistry.  There is also a LiFeYPO4 chemistry as well.  The quoted internal impedance is actually higher than the LiFePO4 40AH cells I found.  They were <= 1mOhm per cell!  :thumb:

JDUBS

« Reply #47 on: 10 Jun 2011, 01:24 am »
HAL, yeah, I looked at the website for the company and it says a regular AGM charger will work but the fact that the charger controller is not included is a good point - not sure if the cells are being balance charged if its not used.

It seems like a good solution if the charging aspect checks out - will shoot them a note to find out.

Could always go with an Optima Red Top, but I'd REALLY like (or rather my wife would really like) something smaller.

-Jim

That does look very interesting.

The one thing I would ask is about the charger.  The listing makes it sound like a standard AGM battery charger will work.  It does say the charge controller is not included.  Normally LiFePO4 batteries need special chargers.  Best if they actually balance charge the individual cells.   

Have not found much info on the LiFeMnPO4 chemistry.  There is also a LiFeYPO4 chemistry as well.  The quoted internal impedance is actually higher than the LiFePO4 40AH cells I found.  They were <= 1mOhm per cell!  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #48 on: 10 Jun 2011, 01:26 am »
Will be interested in what you find out.  It is nice and small!

tasar

« Reply #49 on: 11 Jun 2011, 07:50 pm »
" I am guessing that people with standard Firewire cables will get very good results with the BB.  Those with the MBS (or another Firewire cable with the power cut) will gain even more.  I will test this in the next few days.  Dave is getting me a 12vdc cable that I can use with a Datatale drive and a standard Firewire cable.  You will owe me a beer when we meet in person someday though for having me listen through a standard firewire cable again.      It burns, it burns...   

OK Darrel.....so I assume you'll suffer with "fire" in the firewire while listening to a PI 12v line powered DataTale drive from the Buss and over to the Mach2. Also, plug the Tale's Walwart in for a compare. I'm deducing your comparative comments are with firewire powered DataTales. With the Minis enemic power supply, I was not sure "Fire" power was possible !

As for the beer....yes, a microbrew so we can check stories whilst getting stewed !

Val

« Reply #50 on: 8 Aug 2011, 01:37 am »
Does anyone know if the Mach 2 Server can be used with a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery?

Thanks.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #51 on: 8 Aug 2011, 03:10 am »
Does anyone know if the Mach 2 Server can be used with a Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery?

Thanks.
Yes, if you have the Mach2 Music server configured for DC supply by them.  The price is $199.00 when ordered with their Music Server package.  Battery power is THE deal when it comes to quality digital audio  :thumb:

Dave

praedet

« Reply #52 on: 14 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm »
Well, I can now weigh in on the BatteryBUSS (BB) as I have had mine for a while, and a recent addition showed how truly awesome it is :icon_twisted:

First, I would like to thank Dave for allowing me to be part of the group buy.  Besides that, the customer service and knowledge that he is willing to share are truly unusual these days.  My BB is slightly special in that it actually has 5 outputs.  3 Regular XLRs and 2 minis.  I also got 4 assembled cables and 2 for me to assemble in the future as required.  The system this is going in is as follows:

PC Engine Alix Linux based music Server (Battery Power)
V-Link USB-SPDIF (Originally USB Powered, now battery Power)
Modified Lite Audio DAC-60 (AC)
Dodd Audio Tube Buffer (Battery Power)
Class-D SDS-254 (Battery Power)
Polk Audio LSi9s modded to the hilt by the Ninja
Kinetik HCA 1400 SLA Batter in a Battery Box with 4 outputs and 1 input
Cabling is mostly DIY VH Audio Silver RCAs and then a braided DIY Speaker cable made from Electra Cable Wire

I will discuss future changes later on, but that is the system as it sits now.  So, before I was running everything that was battery powered off the battery box with no filtering or cleaning at all.  I started with the V-Link powered from the Alix, but now I have a single cable from the battery box to the BB, and then 4 cables going to the various equipment.  Initially, while the V-Link was powered by the Alix, there was an improvement with the BB, but not dramatic.  The noise floor went down slightly, and instruments seemed a little more separate, but overall it was not much of a change.  I was able to truly try all the possibilities as I had all the outputs on my battery box, plus I had an extra SLA battery and charger that I could even put something on a second battery.  I figured out that the system sounded it’s best with everything fed through the BatteryBUSS.  But, with the Dodd at listening volume and no music, I had an oscillating noise that was audible at about 1-2 feet from the speakers and would not go away.  It was quieter when all equipment was running off the BB, but it was there.  It was loud enough to hear anywhere in the room with the volume pegged.  Moreover, it seemed to be creating an “edge” to the music with was more noticeable on some songs than others. (Everything is flac and cd quality atleast, with some high resolution thrown in)  This is the point when I started e-mailing Dave questions.  And, that is when he offered to let me try a new cable he has been cooking up.  So, I of course bit :icon_twisted:

This cable takes the data from the Alix and routes it to the V-Link, but the power for the V-Link comes from the BatteryBUSS.  Literally, from moment one with the cable added I was floored.  Here is the actual e-mail I sent to Dave after hearing the cable.
“Before, at listening volume (Dodd Buffer at about 9 o'clock), the digital oscillating noise was noticeable if the music was stopped and I got my ear within about 2 feet from the speaker.  When the music was playing, there was an "edge" that I couldn't identify.  At full volume and no music, the noise was noticeable anywhere in the room...
Now, the noise is virtually gone.  At listening volume, it is not present with my ear against the speaker.  At full volume, it is BARELY there, again with my ear against the speaker.  The "edge" is gone in music.
Now, the superlatives.
Honestly, I was not prepared for the change that is there.  And this is with NO TIME on the cord.  The music is just there. It floats in the room with nothing to make you think it came from a computer.  The problems I had with the Alix set-up are now gone.  This is atleast as big a change as the BatteryBuss itself made.  Well, I say that with the qualifier of the V-Link USB power bringing the whole set-up down.”
Truly, everything I hoped this set-up would be, it is.  There is no noise.  There is only music.  The music is there, and it seems ULTRA realistic.  This is especially true of good Live recordings.  One of my favorite to listen to (as a former drummer) is the 3rd song on the 2nd disk from the Dave Matthews Band album “The Best of What’s Around Volume 1”.  The song is “Say Goodbye” and starts with a very fun Drum solo that really highlights the great recording they did of the band.  You get to hear where each piece of Carter’s set is on the stage, and it sounds like you are there.  Then you have a flute solo which begins.  When it is playing you can tell where the flutist is on the stage, and which direction he is facing.  Overall, it is a wonderful test/show song.  So, before the BatteryBUSS and USB cord, this song was very fun, but it had the small “edge” to it, and the soundstage was compressed.  Now the soundstage is well beyond the speakers and is quite large front to back as well.  The only way to describe it is to say that it feels like I am there, watching live.  Hope that makes sense…

Anyway, the BatteryBUSS is amazing, the new USB cable is amazing, and Dave is an all around great guy 8)

Ted

Oh yeah, at some point the V-Link/DAC-60 combo will be replaced by a Buffalo DAC running off battery.  The LSi9s will be replaced by the N2xs I am currently building.  Then I guess I will build a servo sub to integrate nicely…

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #53 on: 14 Aug 2011, 01:42 pm »
Nice write-up! 

My BB is here for the PC Music Server I built.   Will be experimenting with it and the Dodd Battery Buffer setup.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #54 on: 14 Aug 2011, 03:08 pm »
Well, I can now weigh in on the BatteryBUSS (BB) as I have had mine for a while...

Ted

Thank you Ted, my pleasure.

Dave