AC outlets and cryo treatment

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: AC outlets and cryo treatment
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:02 pm »
I know what you mean, Jim.  It's all that d#%@* Danny Richie's fault.  If I hadn't gone to listen to his rig many moons ago, I'd be happily listening to my old Sherwood receiver and 1970's Design Acoustics speakers, all happily fed by my Teac RTR.   I don't know yet if it is simply the outlet upgrade or the cryo that is the key difference, but it it wasn't all that subtle.  And I share your note of desperation, does this never end  :banghead:?
Guys, as long as we can think and/or say "what if?" we are doomed...

Dave

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:39 pm »
Doom, Desperation...  wow, what a gloomy thread!  Of course, the reality is that I am delighted to hear the extra detail that these outlets provide  :D-- and I'm really excited about the fact that this is going to be a very cheap way to improve my system  :dance:.  I am headed into town to get a few items to let me finish out the double outlet box, and the real listening will begin.  BTW, I stayed up way too late listening for extra bits in cd's that I knew well.  Vocals changed to a more clearly defined and realistic image on nearly every cd, but occasionally I was taken aback to hear a bit that I simply hadn't heard before. 

S Clark

« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2010, 06:18 am »
The cryo/non cryo double outlet is built and here are my prelim listening impressions.

Listening was done with a couple of Patty Larkin cds- Angels Running and Regrooving the Dream. 

Vocals are more clearly from a definite, somewhat forward space, but just to say better imaging misses an increased realism.  Non Cryo places the sound of the singers voice, but the cryo unit creates a sense of presence that makes the sound more real- you get the sense of a person being there.  It could be related to increase detail, especially the small echoes within the recording studio that I hadn't heard before.

Percussions are very clearly precisely imaged.  As a drum set is played, the individual drums are coming from slightly different positions.  Deeper notes are clearer with a more defined decay.  Lower guitar and bass guitar has an authority that my rig has not had before.  This has been the most obvious difference so far. 

I'll do some listening to classical and rock over the next couple of days and report in.  In the meantime, I'll tell you up front that I'll be biased from here on- I have made up my mind that these make a very real difference in making music more realistic with my system and will be ordering from Dave an outlet for each place that I might someday put an audio or video device on. 

Dave, in my email I had mentioned buying a couple of extras, make that 6. 

Scott
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 07:10 pm by S Clark »

brother love

« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:10 pm »
Thanks for the audition review S Clark, good stuff !

I have GR Research N2x speakers too powered by Virtue Audio One.2 int. amp (but soon to be upgraded w/ a Sensation M-451 w/ Dodd tube buffer & Sonicap upgrades  :icon_twisted:).

Dave, are these cryo-treated receptacles 2 outlet/ 15 amp or 20 amp?  Didn't see on your website, but price?

Also, I have a Rythmik Audio F12G servo sub on a different outlet.  Would this tweak benefit frequencies below 80 Hz as much?

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:17 pm »
Hey Bro, you are going to be very happy with that Dodd buffer.  My Dodd pre is the anchor of my system.  As far as the stuff below 80 hz, I can't say for sure since I have only two outlets at a time available, one running my Moscode and the other running the Cambridge 640C- no outlet available for the sub-woofer.    The preamp and the dac are both running on batteries.  However, noting that the most definite improvement is in the bass guitar and drums, my bet is that the increased clarity extends on down. Check with Dave to see if these are up for sale yet. 

Scott

brother love

« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:24 pm »
Scott,

Green w/ envy on that Moscode 300 you have.

Back in the early 90's I had a Moscode Tube/ Mosfet hybrid amp.  Geez Louise, I rue the day I got rid of it. Definitely top on the list of my hall of fame most stupid things ever done.  :duh: 

I had it hooked-up w/ a Dual Revelation Superphon preamp, Spica TC-50 speakers, etc. Great system...

Seems like I couldn't afford tubes at the time or some other such nonsense.  Now the Dodd tube buffer built-in to the Sensation is only 1 tube. No more excuses. Heck, I can do some tube rollin'! :lol:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2010, 10:26 pm »
OK, I have been getting some PM's and emails so here it is:  the cryoed Pass & Seymour outlets are available for $10.00 each and shipping is $5.00 for
1-4 outlets; $10.00 for 5-10 by USPS Priority Mail.  PM me for more information.

Dave
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2010, 03:07 am by dBe »

S Clark

« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2010, 11:55 pm »
There have been lots of things that have improved my system over the last few years. Building the Neo2X was a step up, the Dodd pre was a big step up, Electra Cables IC was a small but clear step up, Electra Cables power cord a bit bigger step up, and now cryo'd outlets- a bigger difference than the IC and perhaps a bit more difference than the power cord. 
There may be stuff even better out there, but for ten bucks, this is a no brainer. :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:23 am »
Thanks for the audition review S Clark, good stuff !

I have GR Research N2x speakers too powered by Virtue Audio One.2 int. amp (but soon to be upgraded w/ a Sensation M-451 w/ Dodd tube buffer & Sonicap upgrades  :icon_twisted:).

Dave, are these cryo-treated receptacles 2 outlet/ 15 amp or 20 amp?  Didn't see on your website, but price?

Also, I have a Rythmik Audio F12G servo sub on a different outlet.  Would this tweak benefit frequencies below 80 Hz as much?
Every system is different, but you can expect a tighter, more tuneful bass with better definition.  If you like music that "moves" with the bass line, you'll like it.

The receptacles are the 5362 Spec Grade units.

Dave

brother love

« Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:04 pm »
Every system is different, but you can expect a tighter, more tuneful bass with better definition.  If you like music that "moves" with the bass line, you'll like it.

The receptacles are the 5362 Spec Grade units.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I shot you a pm... put me down for (4) of these bad boys.

S Clark

« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:53 pm »
Listened to a Philips recording of Mozart's Requiem that is one of my favorites, and once again, there were several significant differences with the Cryo-ed plug.  Improvements were most noticeable in the clarity of brass and the audible movement of air in woodwinds.  All percussions were more clearly defined and placed. 

On to a bit of pop/rock with Sting's Brand New Day.  This one was scary in the differences- huge differences. 
Soft background vocals appeared that I hadn't heard before.  At one point (about 1:00 AM) I looked behind me to see if the wife had gotten up and had said something.  Instrument placement greatly improved, percussions jumped with each strike.  These were the kind of improvements that occurred when I moved up from a midfi pre to my Dodd- but the Dodd wasn't $10. 

Summation in my system.
Percussion, bass guitar, lower piano register, lower guitar register all more defined, better placed, with less smear in time.  Vocals more clearly placed and moved somewhat forward in the soundstage. Increased detail of instrument placement.  Better soundstage depth, but not width especially (except on Sting, in which the changes were just spooky :o). 

Conclusion- In general, I am amazed at how the cryo outlet affected my system.  If you are still using the original outlets in your house or apartment, do yourself a favor and pick up some decent cryo-ed outlets- do it now.  The Pass and Seymour's that Dave sells are an excellent value, and I'm sure that others are available from other sources that will also do the job.

S Clark

« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:59 pm »
Thanks Dave. I shot you a pm... put me down for (4) of these bad boys.

Robert,
Let me know what are your impressions of these.  It's always interesting to see how things work in different systems. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #32 on: 3 Sep 2010, 03:20 am »
Robert,
Let me know what are your impressions of these.  It's always interesting to see how things work in different systems.
Well, I've sent out quite a few of these.  Hopefully reports will start coming in soon.

I'm sending them out with cryoed brass Neutral screws and white labels on the side of the receptacle to remind the user which side is N.  Be careful if you choose to use these screws and LEAVE THE LABEL ON.  Someone may come along after you and not know what is what.  Remember SAFETY is better than being fondly remembered as "Sparky".   :o

Have a great weekend, ya'll,

Dave

brother love

« Reply #33 on: 7 Sep 2010, 02:40 pm »
Robert,

Scott,

I sure will.  I received my (4) cryoed receptacles (thanks Dave!) & have installed (1) of said receptacles thus far.

But in the timing is everything dept. ... I also just received a new Virtue Audio tube buffered amp & CD player, & am in the middle of the burning-in  process.  :?

I will definitely do some A/B comparisons against a nearby existing receptacle once burn-in has hit the approx. 100 hr. mark sometime next week.

Hey Dave, 

I understand your concerns & would strongly recommend all users w/ cryoed receptacles change 'em back to original standard versions (or at least put nickel screws back in the neutral side) if leaving/selling their dwelling to be on the safe side. Plus they get to keep the good stuff for their next a/v location.  :green:

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 7 Sep 2010, 04:54 pm »
Well, I've sent out quite a few of these.  Hopefully reports will start coming in soon.

I'm sending them out with cryoed brass Neutral screws and white labels on the side of the receptacle to remind the user which side is N.  Be careful if you choose to use these screws and LEAVE THE LABEL ON.  Someone may come along after you and not know what is what.  Remember SAFETY is better than being fondly remembered as "Sparky".   :o

Have a great weekend, ya'll,

Dave

Can't you tell which side is neutral by using the larger slot?  That is, the side with the larger slot is neutral. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #35 on: 7 Sep 2010, 05:45 pm »
Can't you tell which side is neutral by using the larger slot?  That is, the side with the larger slot is neutral.
I can tell this and obviously you can tell this but one of the things that came out of a prior exchange with a member of AC is that there is always the occasional moron in the audio mix that cannot read or remember instructions.  As a manufacturer I feel the moral obligation to try to keep that moron from killing himself and/or others.  Keeps my insurance guy happy, too.  I'm just being careful.

I think that Brother Love has the best idea: take 'em with you   :thumb:

Dave

jimdgoulding

« Reply #36 on: 7 Sep 2010, 06:40 pm »
I already gots an Uber and an Electra power cord.  I gots a hospital grade receptacle.  So, I'm still not there, yet?  One of Dave's puppies gonna be a noticable improvement to my end game given that I have what I have?  Thanks.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #37 on: 7 Sep 2010, 08:56 pm »
I already gots an Uber and an Electra power cord.  I gots a hospital grade receptacle.  So, I'm still not there, yet?  One of Dave's puppies gonna be a noticable improvement to my end game given that I have what I have?  Thanks.
When we get down to the level of reproduction playback that noise floor begins to loom its' ugly head means that we are getting down to the nitty gritty of what constitutes a reference quality playback system.  We are down here in the dirt where everything effects everything.

I understand the basics of energy states and crystalline metallic structures as a perk from my time in the semiconductor industry.  Very strange things happen in and to conductors when looked at from that POV.  The effects of cryogenic treatment on materials is not a topic that is debated very much now that its' use is commonplace.  What is debateable is just how far do those benefits extend into audio and why.  All I can say is that there are marked differences between cryoed and non-cryoed receptacles.  It is all part of the "who knew" aspect of high end sound that just tickles my brain.

All of my media outlets are cryogenically treated. 

YMMV

Dave

jimdgoulding

« Reply #38 on: 7 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm »
Hi, Dave.  So you're saying that I will hear an improvement?   Like you have or Clark?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #39 on: 7 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm »
Hi, Dave.  So you're saying that I will hear an improvement?   Like you have or Clark?
Jim, I can't tell you that you will hear an improvement.  I think you will, but that is just a thought.  Some of us obviously hear better than others.  I'm 62 and my hearing is doing what every old guys' hearing does.  It is becoming less sensitive.  Bandwidth is diminishing and medication induced tinnitis is present.  I did take the time to learn "how to listen", however.  There is an art and a science to critical listening. 

There was a great collection on vinyl years ago that I borrowed from a friend that was geared towards developing listening skills.  I wish I could remember the name of that collection.  It was a pivotal point in my education.  Thank you, Mike Wolfe.  Dave Moulton offers a similar product:  http://www.moultonlabs.com/full/product01

I think that if you truly listen to and through the music, you will hear a difference that is an improvement.  That is why I cryo my stuff.  It's like chicken soup.  It can't hurt.

Dave