Linked Events

• Capital Audiofest 2011: 8 Jul 2011 - 10 Jul 2011

Capital Audiofest 2011

Saturn94

Re: Capital Audiofest 2011
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jul 2011, 06:03 pm »
Did you make it by the Soundfield room? I met a couple AC guys, but can't recall if you were one of them...sorry if yes....but a ton of folks passed thru...

cheers,

AJ

p.s. Letitroll from "Enclosures" was there today for sure :)

I also visited your room a couple times yesterday (I requested the Billy Joel material).  I remember you kept having to tell visitors that the only thing playing was the speakers on the stands (me included). :lol:

I was duly impressed and got a kick out of the fact that one of the most "humble" systems (yours) I heard was one of the better ones I heard all day yesterday. :thumb:  Just goes to show you that it doesn't necessarily take a megabuck system to put out megabuck sound.

I hope you had a successful show and look forward to seeing how your plans for your speakers work out.  Let us know when you get that website up and running.:)

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2011, 07:24 pm by Saturn94 »

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:03 am »
Those two ways in photo #16, are those yours? If so, could you tell us a bit about them?
3 way bookshelf, latest generation KEQ UniQ 5" in its own internal subenclosure, then a JBL 8" sub 200hz>25hz, powered by a sub plate amp. Cab is 17hx10wx12d. I'm trying to get all the details worked out to make it available for sale at $1000/pr. Guess I need to start with a website :D.
The response at the show caught me a bit off guard, my intent was just to demo what a frugal DIYer can do against the big boys under possibly the worse conditions (a hotel room!). That'll teach me :lol:

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:10 am »
Yes, I was in the Soundfield  :wink:Room today.  I had on a light blue polo shirt if that helps.

Did not have much time as I had to leave the show by 1:30PM.  The demo piece that I heard sounded very good.  The problem is my ears were giving out from previous demo's!   :o
Hi Hal.
Gotcha. Yeah, try doing it for 3 days! :wink:
Was it the classical or one of the jazz pieces?
I guess there was stuff rattling in the hallway when I played the Eric Kunzel piece. One of the other vendors came up to me as I was loading the big speakers into my car after the show. He said, man, you had some serious bass coming out of those today as I walked the hallway. I had to explain to him that I didn't play the big ones on Sunday at all, just the little guys. He laughed. :green:
Glad you at least had a chance to drop in. I had a great time, including Sat at the jazz jam. Plan to be back next year.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:20 am »
Yes, and AJ's speakers were some of the most impressive sounding at the show regardless of price, and with what he told me the projected retail is, a screaming bargain.  Incredibly dynamic with bass to 20hz in a medium sized bookshelf.  While their main strength is Rock or Full Orchestral Classical, with which they can produce impressive sound levels, they also handled more intimate material with aplomb as well.  I heard some better speakers at 27 to 150 times the price, and some that were not as good but priced many multiples of the Soundfields, but nothing in my experience have the Soundfield's traits at anywhere remotely close to the price.  I'm glad I stopped in.

It was good to meet you. Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you liked 'em. At least I didn't blast you out of the room. :lol:
I'm going to try to get everything organized asap, then see what happens. I was a bit overwhelmed by the positive response, I honestly wasn't expecting it. And obviously (:green:), I don't believe music lovers should be forced to spend a fortune to get decent sound like you heard in my room.
Guess I better quit posting and get busy eh? :lol:

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:30 am »
I also visited your room a couple times yesterday (I requested the Billy Joel material).  I remember you kept having to tell visitors that the only thing playing was the speakers on the stands (me included). :lol:

I was duly impressed and got a kick out of the fact that one of the most "humble" systems (yours) I heard was one of the better ones I heard all day yesterday. :thumb:  Just goes to show you that it doesn't necessarily take a megabuck system to put out megabuck sound.

I hope you had a successful show and look forward to seeing how your plans for your speakers work out.  Let us know when you get that website up and running.:)

Hi Jim,

I bet you'll never listen to Eric Kunzel again! :lol:
Thanks for stopping in, I enjoyed the chat. Hey, at least I had Billy Joel.
How many rooms were allowing attendees to pick...or even play their own stuff? If I do anything different next time, is I'll bring someone with me to run the room so I can tour the show a bit more. I did hear some nice sound in other rooms, like Joseph Audio, Salk and even the DCDIY guys.
Wish I had a chance to take them up on the offer to run my Soundfield monitors with a 20watt SET. Just ran out of time. Several folks were asking me how they would sound with SETs, etc.
Glad you liked the extensive room treatment, my high end front end and cabling :green:.
As I say, it's the speakers, the speakers, the speakers......
I'll be sure to let you now once the site is up. Thanks again.

cheers,

AJ

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:33 am »
AJ

What about some pics of your stuff?

richidoo

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:45 am »
AJ, your demo was great! You played my Miles Quintet CD on your laptop and we talked a while. I didn't know you were an AC member... Your speakers had the best room response of any demo in the show, and the most dense intoxicating tone, too with that 18" open baffle mid. Similar approach as Legacy, who uses big drivers to cover that upper bass area, and sound similarly good.  I was very impressed.   You have a lot of talent (knowledge + enthusiasm), and I'm looking forward to hearing your future creations. Thanks for sharing your design with this curious DIYer.
Rich

MLS

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:51 am »
I heard AJ's bookshelves and was very impressed.  IMHO they put some big time speaker manufacturers to shame.  When I walked in an orchestral piece was playing and the dynamics and bass were energizing the whole room more so than any other demo at the fest.

AJ has a great R&D department :D

Scott

bunky

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:03 am »
I heard the Soundfield room and AJ is a very talented designer and he had one of the best sounding rooms at the CAF show. if i can play a pair if those with my 18 wpc 6C33-B SET amp i would be more than happy to buy a pair from you  :thumb: i was the big guy with dark hair and a Mullard tube T-shirt who gave up the sweet spot because they sounded great no matter where i went in the room

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:16 am »
Thanks guys. That 15hr drive back down today has me worn out, I'll get back here tomorrow

Saturn94

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2011, 02:41 am »
Hi Jim,

I bet you'll never listen to Eric Kunzel again! :lol:

:thumb:

Thanks for stopping in, I enjoyed the chat. Hey, at least I had Billy Joel.
How many rooms were allowing attendees to pick...or even play their own stuff?

I also enjoyed chatting with you.  Some of the rooms they seemed eager/willing to let you play your own stuff, and in others I think I would have been run out if I asked to play some lowly low res old recordings like Billy Joel. :green:

If I do anything different next time, is I'll bring someone with me to run the room so I can tour the show a bit more. I did hear some nice sound in other rooms, like Joseph Audio, Salk and even the DCDIY guys.

Good idea.  At least it would give you an opportunity to have lunch at a decent hour. :wink: :lol:  Funny that you mention hearing good things from Joseph Audio and Salk.  If I picked my top 3 favorites, it would be (in no particular order) Joseph Audio, Salk, and Soundfield.

.....Glad you liked the extensive room treatment, my high end front end and cabling :green:.
As I say, it's the speakers, the speakers, the speakers......
I'll be sure to let you now once the site is up. Thanks again.

Yeah, I especially loved your "HD" cables! :lol:  Seriously, it was great hearing what your speakers could do with basic/modest equipment.  Some of the other rooms were using equipment and treatments that cost much more than my house :icon_surprised:, and frankly didn't sound any better, and in some cases worse, than your setup.

Glad you made it back to FL safely.  I guess compared to your trip I can't complain about my 3+ hour drive home. :oops:

Thanks again, your room was one of the highlights of the show for me.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul 2011, 11:57 am »
AJ

What about some pics of your stuff?

Hi JT. You still owe me an Abbey listen :D.
I stole this from the Stereophile blog http://www.stereophile.com/content/soundfield-audio#comment-485051:
The large:

The bookshelfs:

I'm not the greatest photographer, so hopefully some of the pics being snapped by a bunch of folks eventually show up. This gives a slightly better sense of scale:

And like Saturn94 mentioned, I could not tell folks enough times that only the standmounts were playing, no tricks, hidden subs, etc. :lol:

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm »
AJ, your demo was great! You played my Miles Quintet CD on your laptop and we talked a while. I didn't know you were an AC member... Your speakers had the best room response of any demo in the show, and the most dense intoxicating tone, too with that 18" open baffle mid. Similar approach as Legacy, who uses big drivers to cover that upper bass area, and sound similarly good.  I was very impressed.   You have a lot of talent (knowledge + enthusiasm), and I'm looking forward to hearing your future creations. Thanks for sharing your design with this curious DIYer.
Rich

Ah yes, the Miles Davis man. Good to meet you Rich. Thanks for stopping in. You may be the only one here who made it on Sat when the large pair was playing. Glad they didn't butcher Miles :wink:.
Just to be clear, the coax is a 12" mid. The 18's are 200-50hz dipole "woofers".
They would be a bit too complex to reproduce at the moment, so for now, I'll most likely just stick with the little monitors. Wish you had a chance to hear those, but flying solo, I decided to only set them up on Sunday. next time I'll have help. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole show, the atmosphere and especially meeting all you folks. Thanks again and take care.

cheers,

AJ

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm »
Hi JT. You still owe me an Abbey listen :D.
AJ

You just have to make the trip...it's a bit much for me to pack up.   :lol:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #34 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm »
I heard AJ's bookshelves and was very impressed.  IMHO they put some big time speaker manufacturers to shame.  When I walked in an orchestral piece was playing and the dynamics and bass were energizing the whole room more so than any other demo at the fest.

AJ has a great R&D department :D

Scott

Thanks Scott. It's an old trick. Get stuff to rattle in the hallways and folks will naturally want to stick their head in to see what the racket is all about. :thumb:
Glad you liked 'em.

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #35 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm »
You just have to make the trip...it's a bit much for me to pack up.   :lol:

Hey, I made the trip....just not at the right time. :D

JohnR

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:12 pm »
Sorry but... a small bookshelf ratting stuff in the hallway?

What's the trick?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #37 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm »
I heard the Soundfield room and AJ is a very talented designer and he had one of the best sounding rooms at the CAF show. if i can play a pair if those with my 18 wpc 6C33-B SET amp i would be more than happy to buy a pair from you  :thumb: i was the big guy with dark hair and a Mullard tube T-shirt who gave up the sweet spot because they sounded great no matter where i went in the room

Damn, that's not you in your avatar?? :lol:
I'll have to get my hands on a SET locally and see how they mesh. the DCDIYaudio guys offered, but unfortunately, it didn't happen. Did you get a chance to go by their room? Lots of cool tube stuff, DIY TT, etc.
Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

cheers,

AJ

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm »
What's the deal with the cover over the equipment?  What should we know?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #39 on: 12 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm »
Sorry but... a small bookshelf ratting stuff in the hallway?

What's the trick?

Loosening objects in the hallway the night before  :green:

That, or using 2/3rds the cabinet volume for a high displacement subwoofer John.
Powered. No laws of physics broken. Just applied.

cheers,

AJ