Mini-Review: Favorite SACD or DVD-Audio disc

jimdgoulding

Re: Mini-Review: Favorite SACD or DVD-Audio disc
« Reply #40 on: 19 Oct 2014, 08:50 pm »
BIS in a fine label with fine engineers.  I have several.  ALL of the Scandanavian labels with which I am familiar make realistic and excellent recordings.  Mine are all vinyl, however.

windhoek

• Live life like you're gonna die, cos you're gonna!
« Reply #41 on: 7 Mar 2015, 05:23 pm »
Although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's my favourite SACD and possibly not my favourite classical SACD, Zander's Grammy Nominated (for Best Surround Sound album) has almost certainly become my favourite performance/recording of Mahler's 2nd Symphony. After ripping the two discs, I listened to the m/c mix last night (in 4.0 as per my speaker setup) and I really enjoyed it. It's clear that the m/c mix has taken a noticeable step towards the sort of discrete mixes we normally associate with rock/pop m/c releases. If classical ambient surround sound mixes are usually 1/10 and Dark Side of the Moon 10/10 for discreteness, I'd rate Zander's at 3/10. Sure, it could be more discrete, but it could also be less!

Even though the level of discreteness varied throughout, I felt quite immersed in the music regardless and it was only after 87 minutes or so I realised I'd be listening to it for that length of time; that's how engrossed I was. I lost track of time! If you like Mahler and you like m/c mixes, you'll almost certainly like this :)

MTVhike

« Reply #42 on: 7 Oct 2020, 06:34 pm »
I'll jump in here, after 5 years. I have a small collection of SACDs and only 2 DVD-As, but I really like Verdi's Requiem, conducted by Valery Gergiev on DVDA (Phillips/Decca), and an organ/orchestra collection on Ondine, which includes Samuel Barber's Toccata Festiva, Francis Poulenc's Concerto for Organ, Strings, and Timpani, and my all time favorite composition in this genre, Camille Saint-Saens Organ Symphony.
I also have the RCA Living Stereo SACD release of the Saint-Saens which also sounds spectacular! It was recorded in 1956 on a 3-track recorder, so is that considered "Multi-channel"?
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2020, 03:01 pm by MTVhike »

msiron

« Reply #43 on: 23 Jul 2021, 12:43 am »
Hi, I am fairly new to the site and have a number of SACDs I enjoy. One I will mention that my wife also very much likes is Diana Krall's "Wallflower". She certainly has a gorgeous voice and the sonics of this SACD are outstanding.