Overdrive DAC Ideal with Mac Mini?

kfr01

Overdrive DAC Ideal with Mac Mini?
« on: 18 Apr 2011, 01:44 am »

I've been researching a 24/192 capable USB solution for use with my MacMini (4g ram, PureMusic software). 

The Empirical Audio Overdrive Signature DAC seems ideal.  I love that I can add an offramp and monolith modules to keep upgrading.

Is there any reason why an Overdrive DAC is not ideal for use with the Mac Mini and 24/192 files?

BCRich1

Re: Overdrive DAC Ideal with Mac Mini?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2011, 02:54 am »
I have been using the new Off Ramp 4 with a Overdrive Signature with a Monolith on each and it is absolutley stunning. Did the Hynes upgrades as well.
Using Amarra software. Steve knows what he is doing! :D

kfr01

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2011, 03:26 am »
BCRich, with OSX?  Mac Mini?

serengetiplains

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2011, 06:42 pm »
kfr, the Overdrive as well as the Pace-Car and presumably the Offramp work splendidly with Mac OSX.

BCRich1

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2011, 10:36 am »
Sorry, yes with OSX!

leoduran

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2012, 04:40 pm »
I have been using the new Off Ramp 4 with a Overdrive Signature with a Monolith on each and it is absolutley stunning. Did the Hynes upgrades as well.
Since the Overdrive already has USB input, is there a need for Off-Ramp, or Pace-Car to Overdrive, over I2S? (i'd think Off-Ramp is already built-in to Overdrive)... So, why not connect the Mac Mini directly to Overdrive, over  (Async) USB?

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2012, 05:02 pm »
Since the Overdrive already has USB input, is there a need for Off-Ramp, or Pace-Car to Overdrive, over I2S? (i'd think Off-Ramp is already built-in to Overdrive)... So, why not connect the Mac Mini directly to Overdrive, over  (Async) USB?

This is what I do.  Mac Mini to Overdrive.

Previous versions of the USB interface were not as good as the external Off-Ramp due to clocks etc., so it used to make sense to use I2S, but not now.

I2S on Overdrive is primarily useful now for networked devices, not USB.

Steve N.

Audioexcels

« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm »

Why don't you sell all of that stuff and get Steve's latest DAC w/built in superior USB, power supply, and so on....OR, if the Overdrive SE can be modded for cheap enough to new standards, you can toss the Monolith and OR4 likely for any price difference and have a far superior end product, let alone, one piece instead of 3.

BCRich1

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2012, 01:14 am »
Hi,
I actually did sell the OR4 and the Monoliths.  I had my Overdrive upgraded with the Dual Turbo Clocks last year, and also had the USB upgraded to the 24/192 version.
I absolutley love the dac and am considering some additional upgrades. ie. Hynes for the USB and the Empirical Hynes for the D/A and retunning of the Analog Hynes so the function more efficiently.  Also considering the SE.
Mike

Audioexcels

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:03 am »
I don't know much about the Overdrive but it sounds like so long as you have the latest goods which you do, you can pretty much do most the rest that the newest offering provides.  Or, if you sold the OR4+Monolith and the Overdrive sounds better, you may just consider leaving it like it is or simply doing the "basics" like the Hynes USB (specific areas that have been updated and "clearly" prove a substantial difference).  I think once you get past the OR4+Monolith, you are in a darn high end enough league where the simple/basics is what I'd advise vs. going full blown/modded.  I do love having it all, but at the same time, I know audio is compromises, so I always go with what I know works (in this case your Overdrive you know works as it does), and then maybe a couple little upgrades that are not costly, but are supposed to have the most dramatic affect on the sound all in all.

Cheers!