Terminating Digital Inputs/Outputs

jimiles

Terminating Digital Inputs/Outputs
« on: 16 Apr 2012, 02:45 pm »
Several years ago, I purchased a rather nice 75 ohm terminator (from an outfit called High-End Electronics) for the unused S/PDIF input on my PaceCar.  Having just ordered an Off-Ramp 5, I wondered which of the forest of outputs might benefit from termination and what sorts of products (plugs, caps, gadgets) are people using/liking?

audioengr

Re: Terminating Digital Inputs/Outputs
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2012, 04:56 pm »
Several years ago, I purchased a rather nice 75 ohm terminator (from an outfit called High-End Electronics) for the unused S/PDIF input on my PaceCar.  Having just ordered an Off-Ramp 5, I wondered which of the forest of outputs might benefit from termination and what sorts of products (plugs, caps, gadgets) are people using/liking?

The input on the Pace-Car has 75 ohm termination, so putting another one on there reduces it to 37.5 ohms.

The outputs on the Off-Ramp 5 could be terminated if you like.  It may reduce RFI.  75 ohms on the BNC and 110 ohms on the XLR.

Steve N.

jimiles

Re: Terminating Digital Inputs/Outputs
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2012, 07:23 pm »
Well that's a testament to the robust engineering of the PaceCar...it sounded fantastic even my superfluous terminator screwing up the impedance!

I may just leave well enough alone. I'm sure my biggest RFI offender was the AppleTV itself.  In anticipation of going USB with the Off-Ramp, I took to opportunity to run CAT-5 to the laptop...so there won't be any Wi-Fi involved in the playback chain.  Not blasting the equipment rack with Wi-Fi ought to be a big step in the right direction.

Thanks for the quick reply, Steve...and I can't wait to sample my new Off-Ramp 5!

Jake