A new product: Synchro-Mesh reclocker

R-A-W

Re: A new product: Synchro-Mesh reclocker
« Reply #20 on: 4 Feb 2012, 11:00 pm »
How much performance do you expect it to deliver (comaper to overdrive) and for what price?

Roger

audioengr

« Reply #21 on: 4 Feb 2012, 11:36 pm »
How much performance do you expect it to deliver (comaper to overdrive) and for what price?

Roger

I plan to offer the Hot Rod DAC at $1499.00 or less.  It will have Off-Ramp 5 USB interface, good clocks and Hynes regs etc..

I dont expect it to beat Overdrive, but I expect it to be very close if both are comparing RCA outs and both are driving preamps.

It has some innovations that the Overdrive does not, including DC-coupled output (can't do this with my Overdrive Volume technology).  Because it is not balanced in design, it will probably have a tad more compression than the Overdrive.  It will use a newer D/A chip, probably the AD1955, so this may make up for that.  It will use less expensive RCA connectors like the Synchro-Mesh.

Steve N.

R-A-W

« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2012, 08:12 am »
I'm very interested in this as I run an integrated amp.
Would prefer balanced out, too bad it ads too much to the costs.
When do you expect it to be available?

Roger

LewinskiH01

« Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2012, 04:40 pm »
Steve,

The Synchro sounds very interesting. Bhobba started asking about the SB Touch, but went a different route. If I were to use the Synchro between the SB Touch and a DAC:

• What's the implication of the Synchro not being bit-perfect? I usually see in forums and online magazines people refer to this as non-desirable.
  • The Touch outputs 24/96, so I would be better off getting a 24/96 version...which you plan to offer, right? When?
  • What would be the best setup if I am to use a Touch and a separate DAC? BTW, your hot-rod DAC might throw me yet into another loop...oh well!

Thanks!

audioengr

« Reply #24 on: 5 Feb 2012, 06:32 pm »
I'm very interested in this as I run an integrated amp.
Would prefer balanced out, too bad it ads too much to the costs.
When do you expect it to be available?

Roger

Probably late summer to fall 2012.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2012, 06:37 pm »
Steve,

The Synchro sounds very interesting. Bhobba started asking about the SB Touch, but went a different route. If I were to use the Synchro between the SB Touch and a DAC:

• What's the implication of the Synchro not being bit-perfect? I usually see in forums and online magazines people refer to this as non-desirable.

It does change the sound at the high frequencies a little.  Loses a tad bit of clarity over the OR5 for instance.  It is really good for a resampler though.

• The Touch outputs 24/96, so I would be better off getting a 24/96 version...which you plan to offer, right? When?

Probably.  I'll offer it at launch.

• What would be the best setup if I am to use a Touch and a separate DAC? BTW, your hot-rod DAC might throw me yet into another loop...oh well!

The best I can do to improve a stock Touch is the Synchro-Mesh.  I may offer clock upgrades for it too.  I have yet to experiment with these.

Steve N.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2012, 03:05 am »
Hello Steve:
I am not a frequent follower of your Circle so please excuse me if the following is something you have covered before.
I too own a Sonos system and have used it primarlily for listening to Internet radio and streaming music services at lower bitrates.
I have never tried a Sonos device in my "big-rig".  Your new proposed Synchro-Mesh reclocker intrigues me.  What I would like to know is this:
I assume that the music that you are playing through your Sonos is from your own music collection at 16/44.1.  I would appreciate if you explain how you have ripped your CD collection in order to achieve maximum fidelity.  I am new to this end of the hobby and would like to follow your lead in ripping my Cds.
Your advice would be appreciated.

audioengr

« Reply #27 on: 6 Feb 2012, 05:57 am »
Hello Steve:
I am not a frequent follower of your Circle so please excuse me if the following is something you have covered before.
I too own a Sonos system and have used it primarlily for listening to Internet radio and streaming music services at lower bitrates.
I have never tried a Sonos device in my "big-rig".  Your new proposed Synchro-Mesh reclocker intrigues me.  What I would like to know is this:
I assume that the music that you are playing through your Sonos is from your own music collection at 16/44.1.  I would appreciate if you explain how you have ripped your CD collection in order to achieve maximum fidelity.  I am new to this end of the hobby and would like to follow your lead in ripping my Cds.
Your advice would be appreciated.

I mostly use dbpoweramp and play ripped CD's on the Sonos.  The ZP-90 has been gathering dust here until I designed the Synchro-Mesh.  Now its worth listening to.

See my tips for computer audio here:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/

Steve N.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 6 Feb 2012, 12:38 pm »
I mostly use dbpoweramp and play ripped CD's on the Sonos.  The ZP-90 has been gathering dust here until I designed the Synchro-Mesh.  Now its worth listening to.

See my tips for computer audio here:

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/

Steve N.

Steve:
1:  Assuming that dbpoweramp is used correctly, and using the Sonos unmodded with the Synchro-Mesh: will the audio quality be comparable to using a good CD transport?
2:  You wrote something previously about Sonos that I have never read anywhere else.  You stated that the 16/44.1 output from a Sonos is actually 24/44.1.  Can you explain what this means and how you determined this.
3:  Why does the Synchro-mesh eliminate the need for modding the Sonos?

Please reply when convenient.

audioengr

« Reply #29 on: 6 Feb 2012, 06:27 pm »
Steve:
1:  Assuming that dbpoweramp is used correctly, and using the Sonos unmodded with the Synchro-Mesh: will the audio quality be comparable to using a good CD transport?

Depends on your definition of good.  It will probably beat any transport less than $3K.

2:  You wrote something previously about Sonos that I have never read anywhere else.  You stated that the 16/44.1 output from a Sonos is actually 24/44.1.  Can you explain what this means and how you determined this.

I dont remember saying this.  Maybe I read it elsewhere.  Even if this is the case, I dont believe it matters when using the Synchro-Mesh since it resamples.  24-bit at 44.1 seems to sound better out of the Synchro-Mesh.  This was the same result with my older Off-Ramp 3.  Changed 16-bit to 24 bit for 44.1.  Sounded better.

3:  Why does the Synchro-mesh eliminate the need for modding the Sonos?

I previously required a mod to the Sonos to work with the Pace-Car.  No such mod is required for the Synchro-Mesh.  Also, any mods to the Sonos to reduce jitter will not make any difference since the Synchro-Mesh resamples and establishes a new master clock.

Steve N.

Spirit

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 6 Feb 2012, 07:08 pm »
Depends on your definition of good.  It will probably beat any transport less than $3K.

I dont remember saying this.  Maybe I read it elsewhere.  Even if this is the case, I dont believe it matters when using the Synchro-Mesh since it resamples.  24-bit at 44.1 seems to sound better out of the Synchro-Mesh.  This was the same result with my older Off-Ramp 3.  Changed 16-bit to 24 bit for 44.1.  Sounded better.

I previously required a mod to the Sonos to work with the Pace-Car.  No such mod is required for the Synchro-Mesh.  Also, any mods to the Sonos to reduce jitter will not make any difference since the Synchro-Mesh resamples and establishes a new master clock.

Steve N.

Hi Steve:
Here is the comment you made about the 24/44.1 Sonos.  Perhaps I read it out of cotext:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70106.0

In any case - when will this product be released?

audioengr

« Reply #31 on: 6 Feb 2012, 08:46 pm »
Hi Steve:
Here is the comment you made about the 24/44.1 Sonos.  Perhaps I read it out of cotext:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70106.0

In any case - when will this product be released?

Estimate is 4-6 weeks depending on my assembly house.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #32 on: 6 Mar 2012, 07:14 pm »
I have one at a reviewer and more going soon.  I have the final panels on the way and the circuit boards are here.

I can take pre-orders using PayPal now.  $599.00 plus $30 shipping.

Here are some more photos:

Steve N.

johnnydarko

« Reply #33 on: 9 Mar 2012, 12:54 am »
I'm excited.   :o

DjSinae

« Reply #34 on: 13 Mar 2012, 10:57 pm »
This reclocker is very interesting but does it completely remove jitter?
Will it stay at 600$ or something.. i wish it would be something like 350$..

audioengr

« Reply #35 on: 13 Mar 2012, 11:07 pm »
This reclocker is very interesting but does it completely remove jitter?

Nothing completely removes jitter.  Anyone that tells you this does not know anything about it.  Marketing BS.

It is a lot better than competing resampler/reclocker products, but not as good as my async USB interface.  This has lower jitter.

Will it stay at 600$ or something.. i wish it would be something like 350$..

Me too, but in order to get the clock and regulator technology necessary to provide low jitter, it's expensive.  I sell these direct, and there is still very little margin in it for me.

Steve N.

DjSinae

« Reply #36 on: 15 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm »
what is the measured latency of the device? how much real latency does it add to the signal?

audioengr

« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2012, 12:05 am »
what is the measured latency of the device? how much real latency does it add to the signal?

the delay through the Synchro-Mesh is less than 10uSec.  Not audible.

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #38 on: 23 Mar 2012, 04:42 am »
Steve, the synchro-mesh sounds excellent.  I use for TV watching fed via optical by an Apple TV.  It works like a charm, and cleans up the jittery optical signal very nicely.  Great product!

Rclark

« Reply #39 on: 23 Mar 2012, 05:03 am »
I'm trying to understand what this does. If I add it to my cdp, and it's currently not a transport, but one day I'll buy a new dac, what does this device do for me and is it a $600 upgrade? Worth it I mean? That's a lot for a tertiary inline device.