Re: How to rip Hi-Res

Brandon B

« Reply #40 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:35 am »
With the supposed release today of HDCP master keys, it may get easier to pull DSD or PCM off an HDMI output of an SACD capable deck in the future.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #41 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:54 am »
With the supposed release today of HDCP master keys, it may get easier to pull DSD or PCM off an HDMI output of an SACD capable deck in the future.

PCM is being pulled off now, as per my thread/reviw about the HDMI de-embedders, like Atlona.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

soundpro69

« Reply #42 on: 17 Sep 2010, 11:00 pm »

Hello there,
Sorry, but what are the "HDCP master keys"? Are these software "keys" or specs of some sort that will allow access to the DSD data in the SACDs or something like that?
As always,

Thank you!

Gabe.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #43 on: 9 Oct 2010, 09:06 pm »
Been looking for a solution to take audio from a DTS 5.1 audio dvd into a 2 ch stereo file I can play. I have an Oppo BD83SE and recently converted 300+ cds to FLACS and play via a laptop DLNA/Asset UpnP ethernet and this works very well for me.

I know I can just put the 5.1 dvd into the Oppo and listen to 5.1 DTS or just 2 ch if I want.

The question here is is there a sane way to get the 2 ch off of the DTS 5.1 stuff, core etc
into a good 2ch "high res" format??? Something where I dont have to put the 5.1 DTS dvd in??

I have mucked around with DBpoweramp, and their Music Convertor...but when I try to play what I converted its only white noise...

Any ideas?

Alex

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 9 Oct 2010, 10:12 pm »
Alex,

The question here is is there a sane way to get the 2 ch off of the DTS 5.1 stuff, core etc
into a good 2ch "high res" format??? Something where I don't have to put the 5.1 DTS dvd in??

I have converted (extracted) the two channel dts files from various music dvd's using foobar2000 (v.0.9.6.7 or later) to 2 channel audio.  1) You need to first copy the "foo_input_dts.dll" file to the program components directory in foobar - (google search) or I can email it to you, 2) open the dvd in foobar and... 3) right click on the song within foobar and "convert to PCM" file giving a destination in your hard drive. From there you can do whatever you want with the file using various software programs. The "dll" file will convert to standard 16/44.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #45 on: 10 Oct 2010, 12:48 am »
AlexG,

Thanks so much.

I am trying to take the Diana Krall 5.1 DTS files to 2 ch and will try you solution!!

I will PM u for the DLL file!!

Many!!! Thanks!
Alex
 :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #46 on: 10 Oct 2010, 01:35 am »
Hello...

I found the  "foo_input_dts.dll file , installed foobar2000 v 1.1 and then copied this DLL to the foobar folder.

Ran Foobar, opened one of the files in the DTS 5.1 disc. They show up as 1K CD audio files in windows explorer??

Anyhow I right click on this one file and follow the convert window but do not see a LPCM or PCM option. I tried WAV and it converted but when the converted file is played its white noise?

Alex

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 10 Oct 2010, 01:22 pm »
Alex,

Assuming you have the right files in the components directory (foobar2000) you should have no problems. Make certain that when you right click the song in foobar, you must the first time setup the converter engine - within foobar by selecting after you right click the "..." option instead of "last use" and enter the parameters you want for output-processing and other...you can even convert directly to FLAC, level 5 and also select output bit depth! I just converted a dts encoded song (Titanic Movie-Never An Absolution) to make sure I am right with my instructions, and produce a 92.5MB wave file for this song. If you still have problems, PM your phone number and I will walk you through in front of the PC.

Good luck  :thumb:

Alex

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 10 Oct 2010, 01:35 pm »
Although this Alex-to-Alex DTS conversion project dialog is not about hirez, I find it very valuable and am leaving it here for others to use.  Alex (whichever one wants to :) ) please let us how/why you got over the hump.  Thx

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 10 Oct 2010, 02:07 pm »
Ted (?), Just trying to help...as dts is kind of hirez, I thought that didn't matter. Will go PM if you prefer.
Sorry..
Alex

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 10 Oct 2010, 02:12 pm »
Ted (?), Just trying to help...as dts is kind of hirez, I thought that didn't matter. Will go PM if you prefer.
Sorry..
Alex

No, no it's great that we use AC to solve problems.  I just wanted to state the DTS-is-not-hirez to those folks who keep me at my word and ask that redbook, etc discussions be moved elsewhere.  This is relevant and a typical problem for folks who have DVD's and want to rip the highest quality off of them as possible.  And moving it to Home theater, etc right now seems fruitless.  Keep the discussion going, solve his problem, and nevermind my silly editorial comments. :)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #51 on: 10 Oct 2010, 02:24 pm »
Thanks Ted, and AlexG.

This is really not Home Theater, its about getting the highest quality sound from a 5.1 DTS dvd to the highest quality 2 ch.

I have a really 'full' day today and will further play later today and report back the results.

I am wondering if the DVD and or the soundcard or onboard soundchip has anything to do with this.

There is no DTS decoder on the pc or laptop I am playing with. One has a Coax and an Optical set of outputs. But I cant even play the DTS 5.1 disk in the pc to begin with.

I did see the default settings in foobar and tried the FLAC and WAV selection for conversion and also tried the additional DSP setting of the 5.1 to 2 ch downmix...all converted, big files but when i tried to play on the PC..white noise.

When I look at the DTS dvd in windows explorer, I only see 1K kiles, no other files or types. This may be the root of the problem, maybe I dont have a player or codec to see the high res DTS files on the Diana Krall DTS DVD.

I did find some posts that indicated I needed a 'bit perferct' sound card that supports DTS ???

Ok when I get home later  I will attempt some more experimenting. If unsuccessful I will PM u my phone number and we can chat.

Thanks Alex and Thanks Ted!

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #52 on: 11 Oct 2010, 12:42 am »
Ok, Just got off the phone with AlexG, many thanks for the conversation and time discussing DTS to High Res issue I was trying to solve!

It turns out to be relatively easy!

The surprise here is that it seems from the data I have looked at that you can get FLAC 24 bit depth file sampled at 44.100 Hz.

Here's is the short version:

Get Foobar 2000m the version I got was V1.1 and find (google search) the foo_input_dts_dll file.

Install foobar and then copy the dts dll to the components directory...this directory is a folder in the Foobar folder..where you installed Foobar.

Then get the FLAC convertor from:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html
Scroll down on this site for downloads and you will see a WINDOWS section. Select the FLAC with Windows installer.

Install this, remember where you put it. Later in Foobar you will have to point to the flac.exe file for the magic to happen.

Ok so you have Foobar installed, copied the dts dll file to the components directory and then installed the FLAC stuff.

I used a DTS 5.1 Music disk, Diana Krall, Love Scenes. Insert into your pc cd/dvd and open foobar.

Click on File, and Select Open Audio CD, a small window pops up showing you your CD drives found...I select Add to playlist and all the songs on the DTS disk should show up in the Foobar main menu. The first song probably will be playing. If you copied the dts dll correctly the song should be playing.

Stop the song playing (click on the player control for STOP), select the first song. Right click on it and a small menu pops up, select the three dots "..."

The convertor window pops up. This is where you can save presets for later conversions.

I select output format on the right top side then another window pops up where you actually can select the output file format from a list. I select FLAC. level 5 the FLAC default.

At the bottom of this output file format window there is an output bit depth its set to AUTO. I used this and played with the bit settings.

Auto here got me 24 bit FLAC files from the DTS music disk. I tried 32 bits for the heck of it, still got 24 bits in the file I converted.

Ok so once you select the output file format, and bit depth...select the back button at the bottom. Now you back at the Convertor setup window. You can select destination and Processing.

Under Processing I add the convert 5.1 to stereo DSP. On the processing window on the left are the Active DSP's on the right are the Available DSP's. Select this one and click on the arrow to add it to the Active DSP window. Then click on Back to get you bcak to the main Convertor setup window.

Then click on convert. A window pops asking you where to save the file etc. You will for the first time get a window asking you where your FLAC.EXE file is. Point to this file.

The convert 5.1 to stereo to 2 ch DSP I added seems to only output a file that has 2 ch (what I am intersted in). and the file size is a LOT smaller. If you dont select this you get ALL 6 DTS channels and the file size in my case was in excess of well over 100mb.

I would think your would be able to stream this to a player as well  as the 2 ch flacs I made via UpnP DLNA etc..hmm something to further investigate.

Any how, I now have 24 bit files from the DTS 5.1 music disk, I know the file properties say only 44.1 Khz sampling rate, but its 24 bits.

Thanks much for AlexG helping me think thru this one!

All the best
Alex

:D :D

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 11 Oct 2010, 01:03 am »
Alex,
Glad you were able to convert.  Realize, of course, that those 24 bit files are significantly upsampled from lossy DTS.  The core DTS container is slightly better than average MP3 but not even redbook (cd) quality.  DTS 5.1 has a max of 1.509 mbps or about 250-300k per channel (similar to 320k MP3) but is usually half of that (768k spread into 6 channels or equivalent to 180k MP3).  Even the faux named DTS 96/24 just adds an extension to that core audio, but is not redbook level, let alone high rez.  True hirez in the DTS world doesn't begin until their wonderful BluRay codec called DTS HD Master Audio, capable of 24/96 in 8 channels (or 24/192 for stereo).

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:32 am »
ted_b,

Thanks for adding this data.  I think I will buy a copy of the actual redbook cd and compare the sound.

Just because you have bits witout the higher sampling rates doesnt mean that its great!!

It was an interesting thing to try and at least suceed in doing.

Thanks
Alex

RadioWonder

« Reply #55 on: 11 Dec 2010, 05:32 pm »
Here is the latest version of the AudioGate Software.
You must have Korg hardware or a Twitter account to use this free software.

http://www.korguser.net/audiogate/en/index.html

jamesg11

« Reply #56 on: 1 Jan 2011, 02:31 am »
Very very useful thread ...  Getting back to an earlier posted question - what's the best way to rip dvd-video for hi-res audio on MAC OSX?

kenreau

« Reply #57 on: 20 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm »
Very very useful thread ...  Getting back to an earlier posted question - what's the best way to rip dvd-video for hi-res audio on MAC OSX?

I'm very interested in this as well.  From what I've read, the only practical route is to run a parallel system (VMware Fusion, Parallels or Bootcamp) that allows you to install a windows os, then use DVD Extractor or Explorer.  I'm about to try out the free trial of Parallels.  The biggest drawback is the $80 sticker price.   https://nct.parallels.com/fulfill/0285.001/thankyou

If someone is aware of a MAC OSX compatible / reliable / functioning DVD-A ripper program, please chime in.

THanks
Kenreau

sfig

« Reply #58 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:12 pm »
Right.  So far for the mac it's a purchase of Windows and Parallels I think.  I'd do it but I don't have any other use for the software so it's a little pricey.

Another post indicated DVD Extractor is supposed to have a mac version in April or May.  Probably smarter for me to wait for that but you never know with the tweak bug.

Brandon B

« Reply #59 on: 12 Jul 2011, 01:51 am »
DVDAE OS X port now available:

http://www.dvdae.com/download