LFP-V Edition Tube Rolling Thread

AdvoCat

Re: LFP-V Edition Tube Rolling Thread
« Reply #80 on: 15 Oct 2012, 09:28 pm »
Hi,

New to the board.  I have a 30.2 LFP-V driving Omega 8 XRS w/no sub.  I'm finding the sound to be a bit "bright" for my liking with stock tube.  Will the Dario Miniwatt ease that some?  Any other suggestions?

I want the system to cure a bit before making any changes, but I'd also like to start planning.

Many thanks for your input.

AC

mrarroyo

« Reply #81 on: 16 Oct 2012, 09:49 am »
AC, for your requirements I like the older Russian 6H23-EB valves.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #82 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:11 pm »
I have the 30.2 LFP-V and my current tube flavour is a Siemens CCA.The CCA provides that extra level of detail and delivers a richer musical presentation than any other tube I have auditioned which included an NOS Mullard ECC88.The CCA has the transparency and sparkle that I enjoy.I would like to "roll in" an Amperex 7308 at some point.
Your products rock Vinnie.
Hi,

New to the board.  I have a 30.2 LFP-V driving Omega 8 XRS w/no sub.  I'm finding the sound to be a bit "bright" for my liking with stock tube.  Will the Dario Miniwatt ease that some?  Any other suggestions?

I want the system to cure a bit before making any changes, but I'd also like to start planning.

Many thanks for your input.

AC

AdvoCat

« Reply #83 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:18 pm »
Thanks mrarroyo and Markwatkiss for your suggestions. 

What has been your (or the board's) experience with "burn in " time, for lack of a better term, for these tubes.  In other words, how patient should I be with the stock tube before trying a different one?

mrarroyo

« Reply #84 on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:32 am »
About 100 hours.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #85 on: 18 Oct 2012, 12:14 pm »
About 100 hours.
Thanks mrarroyo and Markwatkiss for your suggestions. 

What has been your (or the board's) experience with "burn in " time, for lack of a better term, for these tubes.  In other words, how patient should I be with the stock tube before trying a different one?
I would agree with 100 hours.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #86 on: 18 Oct 2012, 04:35 pm »
Hi AdvoCat and Markwatkiss,

Welcome to the RWA forum!

I have a 30.2 LFP-V driving Omega 8 XRS w/no sub.  I'm finding the sound to be a bit "bright" for my liking with stock tube.  Will the Dario Miniwatt ease that some?  Any other suggestions?

Yes - the MW Dario is warmer than the stock JJ tube.    Another good one is the Mullard CV2492. 

I agree with the 100 hour tube burn-in time. :flame:  That should be plenty! 

Also, if you guys like the sound of Amperex PQ 7308, then search for Amperex 8416.  It has a 12V heater, but
it sounds identical IMO (really sweet tube).  YOU MUST short the power resistor on the tube stage board to provide
12V heater voltage to this tube (and don't forgot to remove the short when you go back to a 6.3V tube heater!!!). 

Best regards,

Vinnie

tirwin

« Reply #87 on: 29 Nov 2012, 08:08 pm »
    Miniwatt Dario - Wow!

Many thanks to Vinnie and the other posters who recommended this tube for the 30.2. I bought a gold grade E188CC/7308 version from Upscale Audio since they didn't have the cheaper driver grade available. It totally transformed the 30.2 from a good to a great amplifier. Detail, soundstage and bass fullness were all increased. The tendency for high frequencies to smear together during loud passages was removed - and this had been an issue with all my previous amplifiers. I'm now hearing a very full, detailed and natural sound from top to bottom, even in loud passages, a total revelation of what my system was capable of with a good tube in the 70.2. This was a memorable system change for me, leading to much more enjoyment of both CDs and LPs.
     While this tube unveils extra detail, be aware it may bring out issues with other components in your system. I became aware of an unnatural hardness on LPs that wasn't there before, and having read the many comments here, I knew it wasn't coming from the amplifier. The culprit was a Nordost Red Dawn interconnect from my phonostage. I had enjoyed its detailed presentation with previous amplifiers, but apparently it was overkill once the Miniwatt Dario was installed. I am now enjoying an OCC all-copper interconnect (Audio Sensibility) that reveals all the detail coming out of the amplifier without any hardness.
      If you haven't tried any other tube in the 30.2 but the stock JJ, you are really missing out on some much better sound.

catmansound

« Reply #88 on: 22 Dec 2012, 04:19 am »
Hi everyone,

A little over a year ago I purchased a used pair of 70'2, (non LFP-V) and just about this time last year Vinnie upgraded those with LFP-V tube technology. The Lilliana's just came out, but i opted for the upgrade to save a couple $k. I've was pleased, to say the least. So much so, that I purchased the Isabella right after. So much for the savings. :duh: Anyway, about a month ago, I came across a great deal for an Esoteric X-01, back to digital, for now... When I posted here back then regarding tube rolling recommendations, Vinnie gave me excellent advice, listen first for a while, then roll. Thank you for that advice, I did listen, and listen, and listen.

Ok, a year later, well over the 100 hours break in, probably twice or thrice that, and then some. As I read through this thread of tube rolling advice, thank you all, thank you Vinnie, I am considering the Miniwatt Dario E188CC/7308, gold. Found 4 available at Upscale Audio (ouch!). So I am considering buying two. Question is, does it make sense to buy two more? The Isabella takes two and one each for the 70.2's (I think).

My gut instinct says, plug the Dario's into the Isabella and let the amps ride with stock... Tube roll Preamp, Amp, both??  Any suggestions, recommendations, experience. Thanks in advance.

Cheers and Happy Holiday's to all,
Anthony

mrarroyo

« Reply #89 on: 22 Dec 2012, 10:59 am »
If you would like to try a tube that will not brake the bank look into the Tungsram PCC88 also known as 7DJ8. Love mine and although I did not do a lot of shopping I found the matched pair for $50 at Tubemonger.

catmansound

« Reply #90 on: 22 Dec 2012, 01:33 pm »
Thank you mrarroyo for that tip, just searched & found the same. I wonder if they differ from the 6922's that Vinnie listed at beginning of this thread. I guess there's one way to find out  :D Cheers.

update as of Dec. 29, 2012...
I purchased the Tungsram PCC88 and installed them in my Isabella preamp today. For $50 a pair, I'm happy... I've spent the better part of this stormy snowy Saturday comparing the stock tubes to these. The difference is there, especially the bass. I have bassy speakers to begin with, Dali Helicon 400's. It might be a bit too much bass for me now, not sure yet, I will keep playing music through these tubes for a while see if they change any. The treble though is much better to my taste than the stock. The ribbon tweeters of the Dali's were always too soft sounding, they have more presence now. As for mid range, it's broader, somewhat more lip smacking on Nina Marie and Diana Krall, I kinda like that.

Can anyone tell me if there is a benefit to rolling tubes on a pair of LFP-V 70.2's Vinnie upgraded back in March?

Cheers, Anthony
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2012, 09:46 pm by catmansound »

zomble

« Reply #91 on: 31 Dec 2012, 02:10 am »
Just got my Sig 15. Tried to compare it to my sig 30.2 non lpv. It has the jj tube. I found it a little too analytical.the raspiness in the singers voice was not mellowed out. Debating a miniwatt dario or an EAT with the tube coolers. Any thoughts?

CSI

« Reply #92 on: 31 Dec 2012, 02:55 am »
I went from a 30.2 LPV to a Sigature 15. You need two things before you will like your Sig 15 better than your 30.2 (and you will in time). One, LOTS of break in time - 60 to 100 hours. Two, the MiniWatt Dario. Enjoy the journey.

zomble

« Reply #93 on: 31 Dec 2012, 04:33 am »
Anywhere else to get the miniwatt dario other than upscale audio

zomble

« Reply #94 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:07 am »
Well its been a week and I am starting to hear the differences with the 30.2 and the sig 15. Talked to Upscale Audio and he seemed to think the the Amperex 7308 and the Miniwatt Dario had very similar characteristics. Considering the Dario is 3 times the price I thought I would try the Amperex 7308 first. If the Sig 15 is this good how good is the new renaissance amps with dual tubes

PhishPhan

« Reply #95 on: 24 Jan 2013, 04:28 am »
Just installed the mini watt dario; loving the sound so far.

Any idea how long it takes to break in? 100 hours?

JeffV

« Reply #96 on: 24 Jan 2013, 03:29 pm »
Anybody have experience with the EAT ECC 88?  Looks to be in the Dario Miniwatt range for price, but it's in current production.  Here's a linky:  http://www.musicdirect.com/p-5315-eat-cool-valve-ecc-88-aka-6922.aspx

dc.kundera

« Reply #97 on: 13 Apr 2013, 08:13 pm »
Im using the Amperex "PQ" 841 in my red wine signature 15 with a small bypass vinnie helped me install. The sound has solid bass, is 'tubey' yet still has speed and response. I have listened for a few days and will post more, but overall I cannot at this point find a downside. I like the original tube a lot, but this gives it some more texture and greater bass in my system and room. I particularly find that solo piano is almost astonishing on this system. Jazz, organ, and blues are particularly good, with depth, real feeling and textures of voices and instruments coming out nicely. Thanks vinnie for the advice on this tube. I would recommend it for the price.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #98 on: 11 May 2013, 07:00 am »
Hi all,

Someone asked this before, but there any alternative to Upscale Audio for the Miniwatt Dario?  $230 is just too rich for my blood.

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #99 on: 13 May 2013, 12:05 am »
Hi all,

Someone asked this before, but there any alternative to Upscale Audio for the Miniwatt Dario?  $230 is just too rich for my blood.

Thanks!

Hi Lousyreeds1,

The tube is also very rich.  :icon_lol:

Seriously, your best bet is to look around on ebay and other for-sale sites. 

Search for "Miniwatt Dario E188CC"

Good luck!

Vinnie