Music that was playing in our room at the show -- What's playing in your room?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Going to see Jane Monheit tonight:

http://centerateaglehill.org/events-detail.php?record=5

Anyone like her?  I only own one of her albums - "Taking a Chance on Love"

Looking forward to seeing and hearing her live!  aa

Vinnie

LIKE her???  I'd say based on the album covers alone :drool:  that would be an understatement of the year! 
 :lol:

Fork

• Industry Participant
  • (855) JAGAUDIO
    • JaguarAudioDesign.com
Responding to StevenKelby 3 posts back in this thread.

Yes, KEXP is an awesome station.  Like NPR, it lacks commercials for the most part.  There are several shows throughout the week that focus on specific genres (reggae, techno, punk, hip hop, rockabilly, etc).  What I like most is the sound is uncompressed (the only uncompressed station I have ever found) and they play stuff like what you see on Vinny's playlist, which doesn't get much play on regular stations.  I send them $20 occasionally (during their pledge drives), because they have to pay for each user they stream to.

If you like classical music, King FM in Seattle has fewer commercials than normal and there's a pluggin to stream higher resolution (choose the 64k option).

Regarding the distortion Steven hears on the "Smoke" track of the Hana album, that's not supposed to be there, it must be the disc.

cfcjb

Just a few current faves;

Sweet Billy Pilgrim - "Twice Born Men": Brilliant, brilliant album. Hard to categorize but really worth listening to. Here's a snippet from a review of the album...

"Okay: remember how Wilco's "experimental" album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot turned out to be simply a series of brilliant pop songs? Same thing here. What makes Twice Born Men truly special is the way the indefinable floatiness of the verses is merely the springboard for a succession of delicious pop choruses."

and from the BBC site...

"Elsenburg's music is all about texture. Found sounds and clicks weave in and out of the mix. There is even, ahem,  a tuned dishwasher on Kalypso. Longshore Drift rises and swells, snapping in and out of focus, while Joy Maker Machinery is an otherworldly ballad. But there are songs here, too. Truth Only Smiles is longing pop, evoking Talk Talk and the Beach Boys. Remarkable, too, is the album's closer, There It Will End; a hymn which features Elsenburg's voice overdubbed 30 times."

If you like left of center arrangements tied to quite wonderful but slightly melancholy pop songs then you will love "Twice Born Men". An added bonus is that the album sounds absolutely fantastic, if you're into that sort of thing ;-)

Jackson C. Frank - "Jackson C. Frank". Fantastic folk album produced by Paul Simon. Really the template for so much that came out of the British folk scene in the 60s. Well worth listening to if you have even the vaguest interest in 60's folk (Nick Drake, Fred Neil).
Can be found (Remastered) on Amazon.co.uk for a pittance.

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2009, 02:19 am by cfcjb »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Wow - this thread needs an update! (sorry for forgetting to do this more often!  :oops:)

Didn't make it to RMAF this year, but here is some music that I've picked up more recently and am enjoying!

Regina Spektor - Far

Muse - The Resistance

Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions - Through the Devil Softly
(I've been waiting for Hope to release a new album for a long time - I love her work!  :inlove:)

Why? - Eskimo Snow

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

The Beatles (remastered) - Abbey Road
(I gave in and bought this after reading all the positive feedback on how much better it sounds compared to the older CD release.  Well all the buzz it true - MUCH better sounding - well done!)

Hoots and Hellmouth - The Holy Open Secret

Mum - Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy
(I've heard it called experimental Icelandic "folktronica" - It's good stuff!  :green:)

The Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

More to come - must get back to listening without distractions of typing...  :nono:  :thumb:

Vinnie

R Browne

Yes, time for an update of recent listening choices:

Magos Herrera - Distancia

Kim Kashkashian & Robert Levin - Asturiana - Songs from Spain and Argentina

Marcin Wasilewski Trio - January

Eberhard Weber - Silent Feet

The Herbaliser Band - Session 1 & 2

The Egg - /Forwards

Marconi Union - Tokyo

Between Interval - Autumn Continent

Alva Noto - Xerrox Vol. 1 & 2

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Just picked up this one - WOW!

Nellie McKay - Normal as Blueberry Pie: A Tribute to Doris Day

Here's another good one!

Rosanne Cash - The List

Happy listening,

Vinnie

joschmo

Glad to hear that you like that the Alopecia album, its awesome

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor

Hey joschmo,

Yes - Why? - Alopecia is definitely one of my favorites from 2008!  I also saw them live in Boston last year at the fine arts museum and it was a great show. 

Their new one (Eskimo Snow) is definitely growing on me - did you check it out?

I also love their "Sanddollars" EP (from 2005)  :guitar:

Cheers!

Vinnie

David C.

Just can't get enough of Bill Evans:

This set of 3 CDs includes everything on the "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" disk posted by Mariusz. The first time I listened to disk 1, I thought my system was dying. Then I read the liner notes and found that their tape recorder had been the victim of a brief power failure during the first take of "Gloria's Step". What a relief!

When I want to savour delicious bass, this is the one I play.

My favorite ambient artists are Jim Butler and Steve Roach. These two CDs are dark and immersive, yet very calming:

Deep Energy 1 by Jim Butler. This is the first ambient music I ever paid serious attention to; iTunes tells me that I've listened to it in its entirety 82 times since January 30.

A Deeper Silence by Steve Roach. This is the only CD that I play with the volume set louder than 12 o'clock. The louder it is, the calmer I get!

David
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 07:31 pm by David C. »

joschmo

Hey joschmo,

Yes - Why? - Alopecia is definitely one of my favorites from 2008!  I also saw them live in Boston last year at the fine arts museum and it was a great show. 

Their new one (Eskimo Snow) is definitely growing on me - did you check it out?

I also love their "Sanddollars" EP (from 2005)  :guitar:

Cheers!

Vinnie

No I have not heard it but I will soon!

jimdgoulding

The Egg - /Forwards

Marconi Union - Tokyo

Nice choices and what an interesting system you have there.

Major Roadrash

This made The Times "100 Best Records of 2008" list but I just picked it up yesterday. Old school R&B, well recorded with a lush, fat sound.  Backup includes The Dap-King Horns and Corinne Bailey Rae.  Not a weak track on it.  An easy recommendation.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2009, 01:35 pm by Major Roadrash »

R Browne

The Egg - /Forwards

Marconi Union - Tokyo

Nice choices and what an interesting system you have there.

Thanks for the comments.

Here are a few new selections a bit out of the ordinary.

Yui Onodera And The Beautiful Schizophonic - Radiance

Yui Onodera - Entropy

Northerner - 1976

Chihei Hatakeyama - The River & Saunter

Loscil - First Narrows

Danny Norbury - Light In August

Burial - Untrue

Nosaj Thing - Drift
« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2009, 02:00 pm by R Browne »

David C.

The most intimate playing I've ever heard, especially for the Mozart piano sonata. Also the funniest, for the Chopin Scherzo no.1; Horowitz's impish nature really shines through.

From Sudbin's liner notes: "We can only imagine how alien the sonatas must have sounded at the time they were written and it is small wonder that they were nicknamed, somewhat misleadingly, 'original and happy freaks'. The poet Gabriele d'Annunzio compared them to 'a necklace which breaks, producing a resounding hail of glistening pearls rolling around and bouncing about like precious bubbles of watery beauty', a more reasonable comparison."

David

David C.

An odd but endearing collection of jazz pieces, with much use of sampled sounds. The pieces range from the goofy to the haunting and slightly melancholy. Happily, there is much more haunting than goofing. Anyone who used to listen to "After Hours", the now-cancelled late-night CBC jazz show, will recognize this music; After Hours habitually used a 40-second clip from one of these songs to signal the end of a segment.

David C.

I don't ordinarily think of Bach as happy music, but Turkish pianist Fazil Say somehow manages to infuse every note with happiness, and makes it sound perfectly natural.

David C.

Glassworks by Philip Glass: frenetic minimalist music from the early 80's. I first encountered the music of Philip Glass through the soundtrack of the movie "Koyaanisqatsi", for which it is the perfect accompaniment.

R Browne

Some recent listening:

Kings of Convenience - Declaration of Dependence

The Dead Texan - The Dead Texan

Rolf Lislevand - Diminuito

Kim Kashkashian - Neharot

Celer - Discourses Of The Withered

Le Lendemain - Fires

« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 11:06 pm by R Browne »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great posts - during the upcoming Holidays, I plan to check a lot of this  music out.  Gotta spend those Amazon gift cards on good music  8)

Best regards,

Vinnie

David C.

I love the slow start to this music. Before he plays the first tune, the artist spends ten minutes (!) introducing each of the notes that he'll be using. He plays with them individually and in groups, bending and shaping them, letting you hear them from different angles. When the music finally gets going, it's like going to a party with your new friends.

For me, the female vocals are the most memorable part of this music. They're all sung in a language I don't speak, but they're so catchy, they run through my head for a long time afterwards.