The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!

Bukada

Re: The dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC - Wow!
« Reply #820 on: 18 Dec 2010, 05:37 am »
Hello, this is my first post to AC. I just recently acquired a Tranquility (not SE), auditioned and bought a Signature Essential USB cable, and I really enjoy music through this DAC.

I play it through iTunes with AIFF files from a peripheral Oyen HD.

I followed all of Eric's recommendations and advice in the setup of a 2010 MacMini (btw the ability to work/play in 64 rather than 32 is huge). The PC is an RSA Poeima!!! , also a nice fit.

The whole system/experience is just incredibly musical, and I agree with several of the immediately previous posts. On my system piano and piano jazz is really a pleasure.  Right now Ry Cooder and V.M Bhatt's "Meeting by the River" is just very open, un-congested, musical.

I came to the Tranquility a complete skeptic, a stubborn doubter, and found the praise of it just a little too over the top... and well, here I am... it's a good fit for most of my tastes in music.

coverto

« Reply #821 on: 19 Dec 2010, 07:21 pm »
Another brand-new review of the Tranquility SE.... and a rather interesting comparison with the Weiss 202!

http://digital-analog.blogspot.com/2010/12/review-db-audio-labs-tranquility-dac.html

Bukada

« Reply #822 on: 19 Dec 2010, 08:03 pm »
As I read the review, I think one of the things the reviewer left out is Eric's advice to run the 2010 Mac mini in 64 rather that 32 mode. On my system, the difference is huge.  I wonder if this reviewer forgot to do that because imho it would greatly affect the musical experience.

wilsynet

« Reply #823 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:22 pm »
The review says "If you are planning a computer-based high end stereo and can live with having nothing but computers to stream music, you owe yourself a listen.  It gives you fatigue-free listening experience rarely achieved by any products regardless of price.  If you hear the clarity of its highs and liquidity of its midrange, it's really hard for you to go back.  For me the Tranquility is a definitely keeper and a match made in heaven for my new Mac Mini."

That's a pretty strong endorsement.

Wilson

bhobba

« Reply #824 on: 19 Dec 2010, 10:52 pm »
It is indeed a strong endorsement and very similar to the endorsement John Darko made in his review. Having had the SE for a while I also concur with it.  I also concur that, having done some comparisons, some more expensive DAC's do best it in some areas eg the uber expensive DCS has better detail and speed, also some basically hand made DAC's I know have an edge as well.  But its mercurial analogue like fluidity and liquidity remains unsurpassed and makes this DAC a joy to listen to - it really is a beguiling DAC.  The DCS by all reports has a slight cold edge to it and the hand-built jobs, while having no digital edge, may fall just short in this area although I will need to do some direct comparisons to find out.  Andrew who I lent the SE to, and who posted his impressions, said this DAC was a joy to listen to, and it is.

Thanks
Bill 

wilsynet

« Reply #825 on: 20 Dec 2010, 01:09 am »
I wonder if this reviewer forgot to do that because imho it would greatly affect the musical experience.

It's a pretty strong endorsement anyway I think.

gprro

« Reply #826 on: 29 Dec 2010, 09:11 pm »
Little bump, been a few days, hope everyone had a nice holiday. I'm 95% sure I'm going to upgrade to the SE, and have had some good advice through a couple PM's, just looking for some more opinions and comparisons from those that have heard both the original and SE version. Inner/low level detail, background noise, imaging, and tone mostly.

Thanks, hopefully I'll be up and running in a couple weeks...

Bukada

« Reply #827 on: 30 Dec 2010, 05:14 pm »
Just slightly off-topic, but related to dbaudiolabs and the Tranquility:  I just had a chance to finish a setup using The Essential Signature version of dbaudiolabs USB cable. As with all cables, very system dependent but in right system/configuration it is quite remarkable imho. Removed the veiling and revealed a deeply three dimensional listening space. My ears enter the music, listen deeply into the music, whereas before it was something to be listened to. I hope this makes sense. My point: give the Signature version of The Essential USB cable a try. No affiliation with dbaudiolabs, just a happy customer! In a slightly related context, I've begun experiments with Pure Music as the player on my Minis instead of iTunes. So far I'm liking Memory Mode and Less is More mode. The combination seems to work well for me with the Tranquility and The Essential cable. But I haven't done a serious A-B listening test over a variety of music genres and recordings as yet.

MichAgain

« Reply #828 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:25 pm »
As I read the review, I think one of the things the reviewer left out is Eric's advice to run the 2010 Mac mini in 64 rather that 32 mode. On my system, the difference is huge.  I wonder if this reviewer forgot to do that because imho it would greatly affect the musical experience.

I wonder how you would boot 64-bit mode on a head-less 2009 Mini Mac.  I've not tried it, but I 've been told that you can hold down the 6 and 4 keys, shut down the Mini, then continue to hold (6 and 4) the keys while you reboot.  But my Mini opperates head-less, with no keyboard attached.  :scratch:  :scratch:  :scratch:

highfilter

« Reply #829 on: 2 Jan 2011, 11:31 pm »
I wonder how you would boot 64-bit mode on a head-less 2009 Mini Mac.  I've not tried it, but I 've been told that you can hold down the 6 and 4 keys, shut down the Mini, then continue to hold (6 and 4) the keys while you reboot.  But my Mini opperates head-less, with no keyboard attached.  :scratch:  :scratch:  :scratch:

You can download an app which switches the OS to 64-bit mode. You'll never have to switch it again once enabled. There's a few apps, but you can use something like K64 Enabler: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32300/k64enabler

MichAgain

« Reply #830 on: 3 Jan 2011, 12:01 am »
... thanks for the quick response! 

But I looked at the developers website.  There's a link to an Apple Support document that claims that anything prior to the mid-2010 Mini Mac can not support 64-bit mode.  I'm reluctant to try this...  :cry:

gprro

« Reply #831 on: 4 Jan 2011, 08:06 am »
Anyone with thoughts on the SE vs. Base? Any areas where the base is better at all or the SE is better in every way..

ebag4

« Reply #832 on: 5 Jan 2011, 02:33 pm »
In regard to other computer solutions, we are ALWAYS looking for computers to suggest beyond the Mac Mini. Just tonight I had corresponded with a friend who may be able to get an interesting Linux USB transport to try and evaluate. It's all about attempting to identify the best computer front end offerings. Everything supported by the entire Tranquility net of owners and our own research combined.

Cheers to all  :green: :green: :green:

Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs

website - www.dbaudiolabs.com
Hello Eric,
Has there been any movement with regard to testing the Linux solutions and/or any comparisons to the Mac Mini? 

Best Regards,
Ed

bhobba

« Reply #833 on: 5 Jan 2011, 11:31 pm »
Has there been any movement with regard to testing the Linux solutions and/or any comparisons to the Mac Mini?

I think you are referring to the Auraliti.  I got one late last year and some quick initial comparisons that I was not at were done.  The interest was how it fared against a heavily modded Marantz as a transport because thats what the guys were itching to check out at the time and because of that the Tranquility was not in the mix.  Interestingly it was felt the transport was better.  But one person there who had heard the Tranquility a lot with a Mac Mini felt the Auriaiti may have the edge - but at this stage until a formal comparison is done nothing definite can be said.  Out here in Australia we are in the middle of cricket season and what is known as the Ashes which is quite a big thing.  The last Cricket Test finishes at the end of this week and hopefully within a few weeks of that a formal comparison between the Auraliti and a Mac Mini can probably be done.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba

« Reply #834 on: 5 Jan 2011, 11:38 pm »
Anyone with thoughts on the SE vs. Base? Any areas where the base is better at all or the SE is better in every way..

I thought the SE was better in just about every area, but the thing that stood out to me was the bass - it was tighter and better defined.

Thanks
Bill

TomS

« Reply #835 on: 5 Jan 2011, 11:49 pm »
I think you are referring to the Auraliti.  I got one late last year and some quick initial comparisons that I was not at were done.  The interest was how it fared against a heavily modded Maratz as a transport because thats what the guys were itching to check out at the time and because of that the Tranquility was not in the mix.  Interestingly it was felt the transport was better.  But one person there who had heard the Tranquility a lot with a Mac Mini felt the Auriaiti may have the edge - but at this stage until a formal comparison is done nothing definite can be said.  Out here in Australia we are in the middle of cricket season and what is known as the Ashes which is quite a big thing.  The last test finishes at the end of this week and hopefully within a few weeks of that a formal comparison between the Auraliti and a Mac Mini can probably be done.

Thanks
Bill
Ed may be referring to USB specific transports such as the Alix Voyage MPD with no locally connected drives.  The Auraliti LK100 is primarily an S/PDIF player vs Mac Mini which is USB or FireWire, so that's a bit of apples and oranges.  The upcoming Auraliti USB optimized version will be interesting to see what they've come up with.  Hopefully they're showing it at CES and some comparisons against the Mac Mini with various high end software players will follow.

ebag4

« Reply #836 on: 5 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »
Thanks Tom/Bill,
Actually I am referring to the Alix solution that Tom mentions.  I thought that was the Linux solution that Eric referenced in his post, I may be incorrect in that assumption.

Best,
Ed

MichAgain

« Reply #837 on: 8 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm »
Any help appreciated...

I just received a base Tranquility.  It's replacing Halide Bridge / Cambridge Audio 840C dac source.

What I like about the Tranquility: it's incredibly smooth, liquid mid-range and sometimes (mostly) sweet, clear highs

What I miss a little: Detail.  I could hear subtle details like light symbols and brush strokes with the Bridge/840C and I'm kind of missing that with the Tranquility. And I think the base was more defined with the Bridge/Cambridge.

Bottom line: I prefer the Tranquility, the fatigue free listening and lack of glare, over the Bridge/840C

Question to SE owners: IF I UPGRADE to the SE, will I experience more detail, more defined base,... what?

Thanks in advance!!!

genjamon

« Reply #838 on: 8 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »

Question to SE owners: IF I UPGRADE to the SE, will I experience more detail, more defined base,... what?

That's exactly what you'll get with the SE.  It's a substantial improvement in detail without adding any glare or brightness.  Bass is the biggest area of the frequency spectrum effected, but there are improvements all around.  I don't know how the detail compares to what you've experience with your other units, but you'll just have to try it out to know for sure.

~Ben

highfilter

« Reply #839 on: 9 Jan 2011, 01:44 am »
Having compared the Tranquility SE to the W4S DAC-2 and Squeezebox Touch, the Tranquility SE has all the fantastic detail like the W4S DAC-2, but with a more organic and neutral overall presentation. I haven't heard the original Tranquility, but from what I have heard from Eric and on other posts, the SE version does indeed carry over more detail than the regular version and is also more refined because of the new output stage.

From my listening, the Tranquility SE lets all the detail shine through that the source track has to offer, and while having all the great detail, it still maintains a nice smooth, neutral presentation. Strikes a perfect balance of high detail with a smooth presentation in my system. I think it is worth it to give the SE a try.