Questions on integrating X-Sub with a speaker stand

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Questions on integrating X-Sub with a speaker stand
« on: 14 Apr 2014, 03:29 am »
I'm going to make a pair of speakers for my step-daughter. When she was in town this weekend I had her audition a pair of X-LS Encores and a pair of LGK 1.0's, both combined with an X-Sub.

She preferred the Encores with two of the single driver X-Subs. However, physical space is tight so she would like to co-locate each Encore with a sub.

The simplest method would be to set an X-LS Encore on top of an X-Sub. Besides the fact that this wopuld place the tweeter 4-6 inches too low, I think I remember reading in other threads that setting a two-way speaker directly on top of a subwoofer is not a good idea.   

Would putting a speaker stand like this on top of the X-sub and putting the X-LS Encore on the stand work?

Mike

dragoonxp20

Re: Questions on integrating X-Sub with a speaker stand
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2014, 09:30 am »
If it's up against a wall, you could wall mount it.

I think the reason you don't want a speaker directly on the sub is that the sub's vibrations will carry through to the speaker.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2014, 03:20 pm »
That's what I have heard but how is this any different that what happens in full range speakers since they have the subs built into the same cabinet as the midwoofers and tweeter?

Mike

dragoonxp20

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2014, 04:04 pm »
I'm not sure actually.

This is just a guess, but if you were able to securely attach the speakers to the subwoofers so that the weight of the subs are holding down the speaker, there would be no difference. It probably has to do with the fact that the speaker is on almost a floating platform, not really firmly planted on its base.

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:39 pm »
There are many speakers designed around the sub/woofer base and satellite Mid/Tweet on top.  I seem to recall Danny showing a setup like that using the x series, although that may have been on the old AV123 website.  With regard to the height of the tweeters, you could simply make the sub box tall enough to get the tweeters to the correct height then adjust the volume of the sub box by adding an additional panel to get the volume correct.

Best,
Ed

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2014, 09:50 pm »
Usually the best place in the room for your speakers isn't the best place in the room for a sub and vice versa.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2014, 10:02 pm »
Usually the best place in the room for your speakers isn't the best place in the room for a sub and vice versa.

OK but then why have full range speakers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2014, 10:12 pm »
No free lunch huh. Everything is a compromise.

Even with the full range speakers we take to the show we still often run a pair of servo subs in the back of the room running out of phase from the front speakers to even out room loading.

It's really all about the room.

And if a speaker sits right on the sub then cabinet resonances from the subs top panels can transmit into the main speakers. So there is that to contend with too.

Sometimes you just have to figure out tricky ways to make things work.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2014, 12:28 am »
That's about what I'm dealing with. My stepdaughter chose the X-LS Encores with one or two X-Subs but she has a small room so not a lot of wall space for spreading out two stand mounted speakers and two sub boxes. That's why I was wondering about some way of positioning the Encores above the subs even if not directly touching them.

Linkwitz uses a bridge over the woofer box for this in his LX521

But these are open baffle speakers so I don't know if this type of stand would work with the X-Sub since it is down firing and the closed sides of the bridge might pose a problem.

I also thought about a stand with a vertical arm attached to a base and horizontal arm with a platform for the Encore attached to the vertical arm. However the sub would be sitting on the base so it would probably still be transmitting vibration to the Encores.

Not sure how I'm going to pull this one off  :scratch:

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2014, 12:56 am »
The problem that I see what that particular stand is that it is very prone to movement by the drivers that are mounted on it. But, it is a right idea.

Make a stand out of the sub with side panels supporting the upper panel that the speakers sit on so that the speakers aren't in direct contact with the upper panel of the sub. You don't want it to sit on the top of it.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2014, 01:13 am »
The problem that I see what that particular stand is that it is very prone to movement by the drivers that are mounted on it. But, it is a right idea.

Make a stand out of the sub with side panels supporting the upper panel that the speakers sit on so that the speakers aren't in direct contact with the upper panel of the sub. You don't want it to sit on the top of it.

Thanks Danny