Tubes for the Candela preamp, Your favorites ..

Delta77

Tubes for the Candela preamp, Your favorites ..
« on: 11 Jul 2017, 04:23 am »
I have bought a couple sets of tubes so far,(12au7) for my preamp.
 JJ's - (stock)
 Gold Lions
 RCA clear tops

The clear tops are better than the gold lions to me.
Can I get your ( 12au7 ) tube suggestions / favorites.

I'm using an Oppo 205 / Odyssey Candela / Odyssey Stratos combo.. Tekton speakers.

aaron.luebke

Re: Tubes for the Candela preamp, Your favorites ..
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2017, 12:05 pm »
Yellow label Tesla ECC802s's.  Supposedly these are made on the same equipment as Telefunken's were - rumor only.  The yellow labels are the earlier versions, white labels are the later version.  Feel free to correct that if not right.

Pretty much any black, long plate version of the 12AU7.  The RCA 5963's are very nice.

E80CC's are worth a try.  The specs are similar to the 12AU7 but not exact.  These won't fit in the case as it is - too tall.

Brent Jesse has stock - don't be afraid of his "butt ugly" tubes that he sells at discount.  You really can't see them in the chassis anyway.

Phil A

aaron.luebke

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2017, 12:58 pm »
Phil - have you used any of their other tubes?  I've some equipment that can use 6922's and am always looking for that perfect match.  Do you know where these are made?  Just curious.

OP - sorry for the temporary hijack...   :oops:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2017, 01:20 pm »
Phil - have you used any of their other tubes?  I've some equipment that can use 6922's and am always looking for that perfect match.  Do you know where these are made?  Just curious.

OP - sorry for the temporary hijack...   :oops:

Only the tubes that shipped with the unit.  I have the Candela in a secondary system.  There are a whole bunch of reviews about the Create Synergy HiFi tubes and their technology on 6 Moons and other places (e.g. http://highfidelity.pl/@main-103&lang=en).

AlTran

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2017, 06:26 pm »
For the Candela owners only... Who on here has tried more 12au7 tube types than me??? Who thinks he/she has more exotic type 12au7 than me??? I have some of the rarest 12au7 that even the internet does not have any info on them. RCA Clear top is only good for what it's worth. JJ is good as well but only good compare to those reissues. The rarest of the Telefunken, Brimar, & Mullard, to name a few & still only on the bottom of my list of 12au7 family. I might be a little biased in regards to GB & UK, those tubes aren't my kind of taste.   

audiobasic2000

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2017, 06:43 pm »
Good Afternoon, AlTran:

Would you care/mind to share some suggestions of which 12AU7s you prefer/recommend? I'd very much like to know as I would be using them on a Rogue Sphinx V2. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Kingsley.

AlTran

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:43 pm »
Kingsley, as I said for Candela owners only. I can't speak for other brand of preamps. Some people like Mullon (in my language), some Telefxxking, & some likes Chinese made tubes. I like Amperex & RCA (not the Clear top). 

audiobasic2000

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2017, 09:10 pm »
Good Afternoon, AlTran:

Yes, I understand that you were referring to the Candela but sometimes the sound quality can apply to other preamps/hybrids. You must dislike the Teles quite some to be typing out the name like that!  :x   Thanks for your input.   8)

Sincerely,
Kingsley.

geerock

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2017, 10:33 pm »
I have always liked tubed pre's.  Keep in mind when hunting for 12AU7 tubes that there are many designation numbers for the same tube.  ECC82 is a European designation that includes Amperex, Mullard, Telefunken.  Mullard and Amperex also made a CV491 longplate tube for the military,  These things are "oh boy" if you can find them.  7316 by Amperex is another incredible tube.  Then there are 6189 or E82CC.  Also look for E80CC, ECC802, 7730, and 6680.  They will all work as would a 12AU7.  In my opinion there is not a currently manufactured tube that can stand with the NOS both for longevity and sound.  I wouldn't give you much for any of the Chinese tubes.  And the Russians arent much better, even in the NOS range.  KEEP IN MIND THIS IS JUST IMHO.  AlTran apparently doesnt care for Telefunken. I love them. And depending on if you are looking for cooler or warmer, NOS Amperex, Mullard, Siemens, Philips, and Brimar are very nice.  Keep in mind that many NOS American tubes are European made but branded as RCA, Sylvania, GE, and Raytheon.  Some of my favorite tubes in the 6922 and 12AU7 series are Siemens / Halske made Raytheons.  Anyway, my Uncle was in the TV and radio business some time ago and had good batches of some great tubes that were just kept, never thinking that they would ever progress past their $2 to $10 former price range. I was fortunate enough to work with him when I was a young-un and learned a bit about the electronics building business although I never stayed with it much except as a hobby.  But I do have a pretty good knowledge of tube origin and sound.  But just be ready to pay thru the nose on some of the more rare NOS, as some of the dealers are marking thiese things up by the month.  But know that in most cases you will get 3 to 5 times the life out of NOS.  And when these things are gone, thats it.  Nobody is making them like they used to.  Maybe I'll get my hands on a Candela and do some tube rolling, but when my all in Odyssey monos arrive I'm gonna play with a very exciting Musical Paradise MP D2 DAC / Pre that is a tube and cap rollers dream (or nightmare depending on how you look at it.)

AlTran

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2017, 11:35 pm »
Geerock, how could you determine I don't like Telefxxking. Could I say my English is terrible & my pronunciation is incorrect. For example, I had listen to a few of the Fxxkentosh and they don't sound too good for my ears. Another example, some of the guys that I know they think they know a lot & called themselves "the Profxxksionals". Excuse me, English is my 4th language and sometime I said inappropriate things.
Also, those tubes you mentioned to me are mostly ordinary as they are still available on eBay occasionally. I must agree Amperex 7316 whether it is O, or D getter long or short plate, they do sound incredible & definitely on the top 5 of my list of the best 12AU7 family which I have tried in my Candela.

geerock

« Reply #11 on: 12 Jul 2017, 12:32 am »
Just because there are still good amounts of certain tubes doesn't mean that they are all ordinary.  It just so happens that Amperex, Mullard, Telefunken, etc. in some cases made massive numbers of them due to military or branding orders.  Thankfully, quite a few are still around.  I think you have to admit that even these beat the snot out of currect production stuff.  Again IMHO, rarity doesn't necessarily mean that its a great tube.  Hell, I have a few things laying around that I would never put in a good piece of audio equipment because they just plain suck, but I don't know if there are any decent numbers of them left.  But who cares?  Its like saying my dog died and now I will never be able to clean up that particular dog's shit again.  As for tubes on ebay, there are a couple of reputable dealers that sell their wares on ebay, doesn't mean they are bad, they just have another outlet.  But...and I'm sure you know this, the counterfeiting of NOS tubes is rampant, especially on ebay!  If you don't know what you are looking for you can take a real screwing.  Amperex Bugle Boys are a prime example.  Brimar and Siemens, and yes Telefxxking too.  All I know is that I know what I like, as I'm sure you do too, and I'm glad I have a decent arsenal of tubes that I don't have to worry about being bogus.  Good Ol' Uncle Howard...if he ever knew how many of these things I used to just throw against the wall to hear them pop when I was a kid........ Talk about my mom threw out my baseball cards........ :D
Anyway, all the best to you.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2017, 07:14 pm »
My favorite 12au7 tube is the mullard 12au7 or CV4003  NOS tube.  They are quite pricey at around 100.00 each but it gives you plenty of that midrange magic.

tomgresh

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2018, 06:01 pm »
For my Candela, it's the Amperex 7316...

martinr

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2018, 04:26 pm »
I've tried Mullard NOS, RCA, AMperex and a host of others....hands down the best is the Synergy HiFi tubes,  Phil A. Recommended and they are truly great....