BDP-1 and .dts files

BigGeek

BDP-1 and .dts files
« on: 27 Jul 2015, 11:24 pm »
I can rip .dts files demuxed directly from dvd music discs and I can play them using the BDP-1. However when I send them to my SP-2 I only get the left front and right front channels. Why don't I hear all of the channels?
I can get the BDP-1 to pass DTS signal from ripped DTS-CD's just fine. The SPDIF signal has all of the channel info there. But the *.dts files only seem to get the front channels.

Thoughts? Is it the MPD decoder? I have the latest MM from July 15, 2015 and I am using MPD 18.9 (whatever the latest 18. version is)?

Thanks

Richard

Mag

Re: BDP-1 and .dts files
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:33 am »
As far as I know sacd is the only true multi-channel format if it is coded for multi-channel. Everything else is 2.1 decoded by the multi-channel processor to 5.1. So with the SP-2 you would send it through Neo-6 which is dts or Dolby soundfield or one of the cinema soundfields, which will then decode it to multi-channel. I use Neo-6 music in a 4.1 speaker configuration.

The thing about dts or Neo is it contains information from up to 19 tracks the old format I think was 14. :smoke:

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2015, 08:10 pm »
I can rip .dts files demuxed directly from dvd music discs and I can play them using the BDP-1. However when I send them to my SP-2 I only get the left front and right front channels. Why don't I hear all of the channels?
I can get the BDP-1 to pass DTS signal from ripped DTS-CD's just fine. The SPDIF signal has all of the channel info there. But the *.dts files only seem to get the front channels.

Thoughts? Is it the MPD decoder? I have the latest MM from July 15, 2015 and I am using MPD 18.9 (whatever the latest 18. version is)?

Thanks

Richard

The BDP-1 and BDP-2 are stereo players. Although, they can play multichannel files, they will only send the left and right tracks to the DAC. They do not combine 5.1 to 2.0 nor do they pass through the surround 3.1 channels.  This is the case, even when they show the file being played as "Sample: 96000:24:6."  That just means they correctly identify the fie.

I have about a dozen 5.1 tracks from a DVDA disk.  I ripped the disk to 96/24/5.1 flac.  I have two solutions to listen to the tracks. 

1) I play them through an OPPO BDP-93 using HDMI into an SP3.  The SP3 DAC then down mixes to stereo, because I only have a two channel setup.

2) When I rip the files, I set the software to combine (down mix) the 5.1 tracks to 2.0 and save as flac.  I can then play the 96/24/2.0 files through the BDP-2.

Candidly, the audio quality between the two solutions is pretty much identical (i.e., if I had to do a blind test, I doubt I could tell you which was which).  That makes sense, because the down mix should be bit perfect and identical, assuming that one setups up the initial rip and down mix correctly on their computer.

My preference is #2, because I have all my music in one place, on the BDP-2, versus switching to the OPPO to listen to a couple songs.

It sounds like you have a multichannel setup. Therefore, your best solution would be an OPPO player or a Mac Mini to play ripped multichannel files.

I hope this answered your question.

BigGeek

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:22 pm »
Another option exists if you really want multichannel. I rip dvd-a disks to dts cd files and play them back through the Bdp-1. I know it is lossy and it is not even 96-24 DTS, but man they can still sound pretty darn good. I also rip the disks to stereo 96-24 or 192-24 WAV as well (whatever they have native on them).

Based on your responses, I think the difference seems to be in the fact that .dts files are true multichannel files, like multichannel FLAC or WAV. The DTS CD files are twochannel WAV files with the multitrack data encoded.. 

Darn. I was hoping to find a way to get the higher res DTS data through.