Signature 57 Review

Stercom

Signature 57 Review
« on: 9 Jun 2014, 11:20 pm »
Let me start by explaining how I decided to try a Red Wine Audio product. I've owned audio gear at all ends of the spectrum. High dollar, low dollar. Tube, Solid-state. Integrated, Separates. The one thing they all had in common is they sounded different based on what time of day I listened to my system. Early morning was always the best. It got to the point where I would tell my family I'm getting-up early to listen to my system. And, yep, they thought (probably still do) I was crazy! I've used all kinds of power conditioners, voltage regulators, power plants and when I moved into a dedicated stereo room I added dedicated lines.  The sound would change but it still was best in the wee hours of the morning. I finally decided I must be imagining it or there was simply something wrong with the power being supplied to my house, which maybe there is. 

Earlier this year I bought a Sony HAP-Z1ES. I reviewed that component on Audiocircle and I won't go into detail about how I feel about that machine. What that review did is "introduce" me to Vinnie  Rossi.  His intellect and enthusiasm for exceptional sound quality was evident in how he responded to my Sony HAP-Z1ES review, by his instant willingness to help with everyone's questions and ultimately working to make sure the HAP-Z1ES meets its full potential.

I have Philharmonic 3 speakers that have a sensitivity of 85db that IMO sound best with solid-state power. I didn't think battery powered amps could properly drive them.  I started reading about Vinnie's Signature 57 (Sig57) integrated amp and when I saw that he could build the equivalent of his Liliana Monoblocks (115 watts/8ohm, 230 watts/4ohm and 230+watts/2ohm) into the Sig57 plus have a battery powered headphone amp, phono stage and dual mono tube input stages - I decided to go for it.  I also liked the cherry finish faceplate because it matches my rack and speakers. I discussed the Sig57 with Vinnie a couple of times and then placed the order. As it turned out, this was during the time Vinnie was sick for a couple weeks yet he was turning out new HAP-Z1ES mods and getting a lot of orders including mine for a fully decked-out Sig57. Of course, Vinnie delivered on-time and with a flawlessly working product.

After letting the amp burn-in and doing some tube-rolling (I settled on Amperex 8416) I did some serious listening via digital and vinyl. My first concern was easily put aside - the Sig57 had no problem controlling the bass and, in fact, the low end was very detailed. The microdynamics of a good bass line is easily heard. Its the nuances of good bass/lower midrange that are hard to replicate. Anyone can play a note but only a true musician can make those same notes convey the emotion and understanding of the composer. If your sound system can't produce what the musician put on the recording then its simply not the same performance or even music that the composer intended!!

The same is true for the midrange and treble. The Sig57 presents the natural leading edge attack of a note and keeps the natural decay and soundstage - just like you hear with live acoustic music. The sound is not fatiguing with one part emphasized over the other. The are no spikey or edgy SSSSSSs or TTTTTTTs coming from singers, guitars sounding like tin boxes, pianos sounding like they have keyboards only one foot long or trumpets sounding like machine-gun fire. With a good amp they should all sound REAL, as if the musician was standing there playing for you. The Sig57 gets it right!!

How does the Sig57 do this? My best guess is..........battery power!! It completely takes the power issue out of the equation. Vinnie has refined his design to where its a simple matter of always running off batteries. My system sounds the same during every hour of the day.......and, needless to say, my HAP-Z1ES will be going in for the Level 3 battery-powered mod!!

Here is a pic of my system:

« Last Edit: 5 Aug 2014, 09:16 am by Stercom »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Signature 57 Review
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2014, 05:09 pm »
Hi Stercom,

Thank you for your review post of your custom "Signature 115" Integrated - fully loaded!  :eyebrows:

It looks right at home with your speakers / rack / room, and most importantly, I'm glad it SOUNDS right at home
as well.  Yes, the high current LiFePO4 battery power has a lot to do with how it is controlling your speakers so well.  The
dual tube input stage / discrete FET output stage results in a sweet, yet controlled sound.  Hopefully, it gives you 'just the right
amount' of everything.  :singing:

When you are ready, send in your Z1ES.  The RWA-Z1ES-3 feeding your Signature 115 will blow your mind, and I plan on bringing this
exact setup to the Capital Audio Fest next month!

Enjoy it!

Vinnie

scb

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2014, 02:55 pm »
Can I put a Signature 57 (or 115) in an enclosed cabinet? How hot does it get? How much hotter will it get with tubes?

Stercom

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2014, 10:14 am »
Can I put a Signature 57 (or 115) in an enclosed cabinet? How hot does it get? How much hotter will it get with tubes?
The Sig57 doesn't get very hot during operation but I personally wouldn't put any amp in an enclosed cabinet. If there is no other alternative, I would leave the doors of the cabinet open while in use and try to have a couple of inches of space around the amp to get some ventilation. I'm sure Vinnie will chime-in too.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 9 Sep 2014, 02:08 am »

Yes - as long as you are not cranking it up too much into speakers that dip down to 4 ohms or under.

The heatsinks will get warm and radiate some noticeable heat when playing loud and when speaker impedance dips low.

Tubes add about 2W of heat each, and up to another 10W of heat on the heatsink (linear voltage regulation for the heaters).  So
definitely hotter, but NOT a lot hotter.  :flame:

If there is no other alternative, I would leave the doors of the cabinet open while in use and try to have a couple of inches of space around the amp to get some ventilation.

I agree with Stercom - if you can open the doors even a little when playing, then that is a good idea!

Vinnie

catmansound

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2014, 05:37 pm »
I don't see any Sig115 specs on the Red Wine web site. Would there be sonic difference between an integrated vs. monoblocks and preamp? A benefit for me might be saving space if all else is equal.

Stercom

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2014, 11:55 pm »
I don't see any Sig115 specs on the Red Wine web site. Would there be sonic difference between an integrated vs. monoblocks and preamp? A benefit for me might be saving space if all else is equal.
I think Vinnie called it the "Sig115" because he is able to build the equivalent specs of his Liliana Monoblocks (115 watts/8ohm, 230 watts/4ohm and 230+watts/2ohm) into the Sig57's enclosure, as he did for me. I would think the sonic differences may actually favor the integrated because of the shorter signal paths and the lack of additional interconnect cables.

catmansound

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2014, 12:34 am »
Thanks for the reply Stercom, interesting how the pendulum swings, for years 'separate components' were the thing, each ideally built and suited for a specific feature, and then of course the thousands of dollars in cabling... i do agree though that advancements in integrated technology, done well that is, are probably now equal to components(?) hmmm... I would think Vinnie may chime in here.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2014, 02:39 pm »
Hi catmansound and Stercom,

The Signature 115 is a Signature 57, with Liliana battery pack (and some adjustments to the amplifier boards) to essentially give
you the same power output as the Liliana Monoblocks - all in one enclosure. 

I would think the sonic differences may actually favor the integrated because of the shorter signal paths and the lack of additional interconnect cables.

The shorter signal paths and lack of additional interconnects is a PLUS, but the overall sound depends on other factors such as the preamplifier you would be using with the Liliana Monoblocks, and the fact that the Lilianas have one dedicated battery pack per channel (longer play time, no sharing).  So it all depends.

i do agree though that advancements in integrated technology, done well that is, are probably now equal to components

YES - I agree.  It really all depends on implementation. 

PS: catmansound - I will be emailing you back later today.  I'm catching and and getting ready for RMAF show - leaving tomorrow!
So busy - so PUMPED!  :weights:

Vinnie

catmansound

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2014, 12:46 am »
Thanks for the feedback, I see your point in single battery two channel, seemingly there are trade offs, so it depends on what one's priorities are for a system. I'll be pushing big speakers, so more battery life is good, and I do tend to listen for longer hours.

And Vinnie, as for response, no worries, when you have time after RMAF, much appreciated.

In the mean time, Rock the show!

Anthony