Cool Linaeum speakers for sale on ebay

TheChairGuy

Cool Linaeum speakers for sale on ebay
« on: 30 Sep 2006, 05:03 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com/LINAEUM-Towers-NEW-with-Ribbon-Tweeter-the-REAL-Thing_W0QQitemZ250032274634QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The tweeter is the best I ever heard on any speaker...the woofer, unfortunately, needs a lot of help (it's a bottom-of-the-line Peerless #831907).  The lower end is tonally thin, doesn't have high levels of resolution....but again, the tweeter is sheer amazing.  It's reportedly the inspiration for the tweeter on the Gallo's.

The Linaeum tweeter is different (better, much) than even the very decent Linaeum bi-directional tweeters on many Radio Shack speakers (I own the Radio Shack LX-8 with the cheaper tweeter...listening to it now; not bad).  But, the real Linaeum tweeter on these babies is Exceptional with a capital 'E'.

I bought this same pair of Lineaum Tower (that's what the model is called) about 2 years ago for $180.00 + shipping dinged up a bit.  These are brand-spanking new and a great deal if they don't go for much more than what they are asking for them.  It's a floor stander (31" tall, but the tweeter makes it seem hugely taller), so you don't even need to invest in stands.

Mine have about 8 lbs each of Plast-i-Clay inside the walls and (cheap, stamped) speaker basket...the improvement was notable (quite well worth $30 and a couple hours).  But, the cheap Peerless is still the mitigating factor in these speakers.

I've toyed with the idea of just swapping a likewise better 6.5" woofer in it's place - one of the great things about the Linaeum tweeters is that it requires minimal crossover, so finding a mid-bass driver to mate with it is not the chore some systems require. Some day I might, and report back on it.

Anyhow, I sincerely doubt, all in all, you can top this deal for $250.00 with any 2 way speaker...imaging, if that's your 'thang', is simply unreal, btw.  Tho they will play with low wattage, they seem to like some decent wattage (25 tube or 50 SS I'd guess, minimum).   I run them on 150 watts of Odyssey Khartago Extreme power - sheer overkill  :D

Happy bidding, y'all. aa
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2006, 05:31 pm by TheChairGuy »

mca

Re: Cool Linaeum speakers for sale on ebay
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2006, 04:10 am »
Looks like someone got a good deal  :o

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2006, 08:54 am »
Looks like someone got a good deal  :o

Oh YEAH, he done did :wink:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2006, 04:04 pm »
Guess the deal fell thru 'cause they are re-listed...
http://cgi.ebay.com/LINAEUM-Towers-NEW-with-Ribbon-Tweeter-the-REAL-Thing_W0QQitemZ250036844573QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I put 4 teeny dots of Plast-i-Clay on the outside cone near the surrounds on mine recently, and it damped the cone right nicely.  Again, it's a very low end Peerless driver and is not in the class of that great tweeter, but with a little help (wads of Plast-i-Clay or SoundCoat in ther internals, Plast-i-Clay on the cheap stamped steel basket and a few teeny dots on the cone and you have a speaker for cheap that will provide a lot of enjoyment and take up very little room).  On my test disc, it does have some output at 40hz for bass, but useful bass probably ends at closer to 50hz.

....and, I don't think I've ever seen them listed, but the better model in the line is available, too.  Those of you in the NY Metro area -  you're probably in for a real treat for not a whole spread of money for these (I've not heard them, however).  Some interesting engineering and better cabinet build than on the 'Tower' model
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-PAIR-OF-LINAEUM-MODEL-10-TOWER-FLOOR-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ170037384460QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you've never heard a real Linaeum tweeter before (the Radio Shack units we're okay, but not the spec of the models actually made by Linaeum), you are really in for a treat  :)

Happy Bidding. 

warnerwh

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2006, 03:39 am »
Yes they sound pretty decent. The designer who I visited here in Portland years ago thought they sounded better than the Vandersteen 2ce. That wasn't my opinion but the that tweeter is special. I'm not sure everyone would like it though. For a couple hundred dollars it's a bargain.

As stated above the glaring weak point is that woofer. If someone bought some woofers that were compatible with that cabinet and tweeter they may be able to make a killer speaker out of them for the money. You may be able to get ahold of the guy at Corner Audio here in Portland as he'd know what you'd want to know about the parameters of the tweeter.