$1000 acoustic guitar ?

nodiak

$1000 acoustic guitar ?
« on: 20 Feb 2007, 05:57 pm »
The urge has hit again to get a decent 6 string, steel string acoustic. For casual around the house personal use (nastalgic overtones here  :wink:). Like many played the popular acoustic songs/style of 60's and 70's with friends for fun, couple local festivals. Had small Gibson, Alvarez, Martin D-18, never spent more than $325 back then...tear.
From little bit of searching in local shops I think the level of tone, output and craftsmanship I'm after is ~ $1000. And so far Larrivee has the sound and feel to me. Like the L-03R most, sale price $1100 (this model reminds me somewhat of the larger Gurians). The L series has a slightly wider neck than typical dreadnaught which works well for me.
There's plenty of brands I haven't tried. I like dreadnaught type body volume, doesn't have to be that shape tho.
Thought there might be plenty of experience here. Let me know any suggestions out there.
Thanks, Don

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: $1000 acoustic guitar ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2007, 07:07 pm »
Don,

I got my wife a Tacoma PM28 Parlor and she really like it.  It has good action and sweat tones.  It should be around a grand.  Tacoma was bought out by Fender and some shops are clearing inventory which means good deals if you luck out.

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:15 am »
thanks woodsyi, I remember playing a Takoma a few years ago and liking it. Gonna go on another visit to local shops this week (gotta get a little more over this flu first). Breedlove has an asian made model in the price range. Anyway it's a caual search, may buy next month or a few months later.
Don

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:10 am »
If you look at model comparrison and price charts from the big manufacturers... $1000 is very low end of the spectrum. I mean it is kind of scary how high prices are on them, and even electric for just a Strat.

Personally if I ever get one, of anything, it will be in pieces, and I will put it together. Yeah they sell parts.

eico1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:33 am »
never spent more than $325 back then...tear.

That's what I spent back then for my used Guild, would never buy new. My friend is into vintage Martins, in that case new is cheaper of course...

steve

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:34 am »
Prices have really gone crazy in the last 30 years. I had a custom handmade Doolin built in 2000 for $3000. Now they are $5000! (see my gallery)

Larrivee, Taylor, Gibson, Martin, etc should be reputable, but lower end models less than $1500 may be a little disapointing. I would say getting a guitar that is truly on sale for $1000 from one of these companies should be what you are looking for.

Sounds like you are not looking for furniture or art but a good instrument - good luck with the search

- Look for a shop that really takes care of the guitars, adjusts them when needed - humidity control is a good sign.
- Play some $2500-$3500 guitars and then compare the $1000 guitars. Unfortunately there can be some variation between guitars of the same model. Good wood is not cheap. These guitars you buy from a store are still factory made, but hopefully with some craftsmanship.
- Consistent and accurate pitch up the fret, and action on the neck is the long term issue, besides a sweet tone and some good sustain.
- A good used acoustic can be a great value. If you can ignore some blemishes you may have more options. Try to find a good local luthier who is not a guitar salesman for some advice.

nodiak

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:53 am »
DOS, yes I'm definitely looking at low end, but there are alot of choices surprisingly. The $1100 Larrivee is a pretty nice sounding guitar, want to see if there's more I should try. I have looked at kits but I'd never get one built.
It's just another classic case for my age group. No more $300 Tele's or D18's for me. Everything we owned - from 10 cent comic books, $65 bikes, $300 guitars, $5 Levi's, etc. is a treasure now.
Anywho.
eico1 and jpg, yes just looking for a simple but well made have around the house guitar. There are 2 local luthiers worth checking out. I admire the craftsmanship but feel too much inlay and complex binding is distracting on an instrument. Probably will take some time and see what can be found.
Thanks guys, Don

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2007, 03:58 am »

There are 2 local luthiers worth checking out. I admire the craftsmanship but feel too much inlay and complex binding is distracting on an instrument. Probably will take some time and see what can be found.

Oh I agree too much decorative stuff on a guitar is too expensive - I want my money to go for what makes it sound and play better. When I play I do not see the guitar from the front  :)

I was not suggesting that you have a luthier build you one - that would likely be several thousand. I was suggesting asking his advice on quality affordable new or used guitars that he may have worked on that might be for sale. Quality as in I don't care how it looks or how trendy it may be.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:09 am »
Best advice I can give you is to take a guitar playing buddy along with you. Have him play some guitars while you listen. Or ask a sales guy who can play (most do). You'll hear the differences between instruments a lot more that way. Then try them yourself after.

Also, ask what strings are on the guitars. If they are phosphor bronze, brass etc... This makes a big difference in brightness and bass quality.

Generally though, you'll find that the price really is commensurate with how good they sound.

Cheers

nodiak

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:43 am »
hey DG, i do try to listen while others play for a different perspective, but that's a good idea to ask and make it part of the trial.
jpg, no problem, I knew what you meant. I'm a perfect candidate for a shop guitar, 2nd, or such that they may sell. Or they may have owners of their guitars ready to sell and move up.
I think I'll go tour my stuff - what's in storage, and the rarely used things I own. Should be enough to sell and maybe up my budget.
Don

PhishPhan

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2007, 04:59 am »
Have you ever heard of Seagull? They make some beautiful looking and sounding guitars. I have one of their more modestly priced guitars with a cedar top. The sound is phenominal.

Take a looksee here: http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2007, 06:07 am »
I love the bellow of a decent top :drool: .

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2007, 09:20 am »
Have you ever heard of Seagull? They make some beautiful looking and sounding guitars. I have one of their more modestly priced guitars with a cedar top. The sound is phenominal.

I recorded Peppino d'Agostino playing a Seagull last year. He did some amazing things with it involving extreme de-tuning. Very nice looking and sounding guitars, and at the price, surprising that they're made in Canada - they look like they would cost more.

I also think the new cheap Martins with the non-wood back and sides are nice sounding for the very low (for Martin) price, and they still have that excellent Martin smell! I bought one.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #13 on: 22 Feb 2007, 11:23 am »

Take a looksee here: http://www.seagullguitars.com/intro.htm

I agree! Seagull's have a fantastic and full blend sound! And they are good to play!
Seagull have a lot of fans in Norway as well! A lot of my friends here have one!

Imperial

Imperial

« Reply #14 on: 22 Feb 2007, 11:38 am »
But I will add:

Takamine and Yamaha(I think it was yamaha? ..) or Morgan have a couple of models that are better to play than a Seagull.
The Seagull S6+ do have aging lacquer though, it will get better the more you play it... A selling point!

But... This baby:

Morgan OM-16GT Customshop/ Hagstrøm Special
It's more than a 1000$. But one to keep in mind for the future then!
Think of it as a really hot tip!!
The spec:
14-Fret Orchestra Model (OMC) Cutaway, 16 Series, TOP WOOD : Solid Sitka Spruce, BRACING : Hybrid Scalloped, SIDE WOOD : Solid Walnut, BACK WOOD : Solid Walnut, FINGERBOARD AND BRIDGE : Black Micarta ®, 16" Radius, Neck width at nut : 1 3/4", Scale : 25.4", Frets : 20, Body Finish : Polished Gloss, Electronics : Fishman ® Gold Plus Natural I.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2007, 11:48 am by Imperial »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #15 on: 22 Feb 2007, 05:15 pm »
If you mean "Martin OM-16 GT", that model seems to be discontinued:

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?p=i&m=OM-16GT

but probably cost around $3000, judging from the others on this mouth watering page:

http://www.mguitar.com/guitars/choosing/model.php

Imperial

« Reply #16 on: 22 Feb 2007, 06:45 pm »
Indeed its dicontinued, The 16 GT.
It's now called the Hagstrøm special and available by request, as a customshop item.

Imperial

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 22 Feb 2007, 10:55 pm »
Martin D-1, .

EProvenzano

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2007, 03:51 am »
I've had my basic Seagull S6 for 8 years and it is wonderful!
I love the action.  It's very easy to play and has a deep rich tone.

I'm a newbie...yes 8 years later and I still pretty much suck, so take it for what it's worth  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2007, 04:32 am »
You might check out some reviews of acoustic guitars here....... :thumb: