Noisy headphone output: Modwright Oppo BDP-105?

ajayrav

Noisy headphone output: Modwright Oppo BDP-105?
« on: 23 Jun 2013, 01:10 pm »
Hello guys,

Received my Oppo BDP-105 from Dan a week or so ago and I love it.  I'm using it with the Sophia 6SN7 and it sounds fantastic through my speakers.  However, I'm having noise issues from the headphone out with one of my headphones.  I know that the headphone output is left as stock in the mod, but the noise level (background hiss) seems increased.  It is very apparent with my Audio Technica ATH-AD900x phones and is almost un-listenable with these.  With my AKG K601s, the hiss is is present but slight and the sound is very good.  I remember the headphone out being dead quiet in the stock unit, but the Audio Technicas are new and I didn't get to try them on the unmodded unit.  The ATs sounds fine on the headphone out of my Marantz SA8004 player, with no detectable hiss.  Is some level of hiss normal or is there something going on with my unit?  Maybe some kind of impedance issue with the AT headphones?  FWIW, turning off the tube power supply doesn't make any difference in the hiss, so it probably isn't interference from that.

Thanks,
Ajay
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 12:00 am by ajayrav »