Spatial M3 Turbo S are in the house!

Hear Clifford Brown

Re: Spatial M3 Turbo S are in the house!
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm »
Wow George your room looks wider than 12' 10".  Guess because the M3s are 17" wide vs. 24" wide for the MG-3.7i in my room, which starts out at 10' 11" wide at the front.  Where the equip rack is it gets wider to the left making it 13' 9" wide, then farther back about in the center of the room gets a little wider to the right making it 15' wide.   A little over 19' long with an 8' ceiling.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:15 pm »
You might as well pack those Maggie's up now.  The M3's have everything and then some of what Maggie's have.  Just imagine if the Maggie's had hard hitting slam at any SPL...and more!  Oh, and the CD design benefit of the M3's will lend itself to a non "perfect" room.   
jt if you are right I will be thrilled.  Getting really good sound now, but to my ears only when when played pretty loud (85 dB and more).  They also have a really tall soundstage.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:22 pm »
jt if you are right I will be thrilled.  Getting really good sound now, but to my ears only when when played pretty loud (85 dB and more).  They also have a really tall soundstage.
I'd guarantee it but Clayton Shaw of Spatial already does.   :lol:   When I had my ML's they did the same thing.  Totally unrealistic IMO. 

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:42 pm »
Yes and Yes.  Clayton very confidently told me Spatials sound better, and sometimes I agree the tall soundstage is unrealistic.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 1 Jul 2016, 10:52 pm »
Yes and Yes.  Clayton very confidently told me Spatials sound better, and sometimes I agree the tall soundstage is unrealistic.
Well, as a paying customer I agree with him.   ;)

Get a Vinnie Rossi LIO while you're at it too.   :lol:

CSI

« Reply #45 on: 2 Jul 2016, 12:02 am »
I must agree. I've posted about this elsewhere but I have to say my Spatial M4's plus LIO Integrated are producing the best sounds I've ever heard in my home, and I've been at this for decades. If you don't have the extra $ there's no need to go to the full DHT upgrade. The basic LIO with MOSFET amp and AVC volume control (pass on the RVC) will get you there in style.

jkelly

« Reply #46 on: 2 Jul 2016, 01:00 am »
I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...

Jeff

Blueone302

« Reply #47 on: 3 Jul 2016, 08:42 pm »
Greetings! 

I've been reading the posts on the site for some time.  I was recently looking for reviews on the Spatial M3 Turbo S and found several threads via AudioCircle, particularly this one that caused me to join.  Here's why.  Many of us either are or have been on the merry go round search for the Holy Grail of two channel audio.  I've been struggling to be happy with my speakers for some time.  I currently own a pair of Klipsch Cornwall III's that I'm driving with a Decware Torii Mk. IV, sourced from an Oppo BDP-105.  The Cornwall's are for the most part okay.  The problem is that I hear a bit of fatiguing harshness in the mid-range which is really bad on older recordings; and not quite the bottom end I would like across the board.  I'm having a custom Pre or line stage built for the system and and while talking with the builder regarding my desire for a bit better speaker, he suggested I check into the Spatial's.  After reading everything I could find on the Spatial's, and then emailing Mr. Shaw, I decided to order a pair.  I mean, how could I go wrong with the return policy?  I'll be able to audition them side by side with the CWIII's.  Until they arrive (guessing several weeks) I was wondering if I could pick the brains of current M3 or M4 owners. 

To begin with, is placement with the M3 generally in line with the M4?  (i've seen quite a bit on this.)   And I have read opinions for the M3 that varies from 18 inches out from the back wall to 6 ft. out.  I don't have 6 ft to play with.  But I can do up to 40 inches.  (I call this an aesthetic because I'm married thing.  And because she let's me ride this merry go round with never a complaint, I'm okay with this.)

In case you're wondering, my current listening room is 23 X 17 X 8.  The speakers will be centered on the long wall on either side of a large bay window.  If you're facing the speakers, there is a 4x4 cut out for the front entryway.  (Bay window and cut out not included in the dimensions.)  and there is a 32 inch open door frame on the right rear side wall.

I've really enjoyed your thoughts and opinions to this point; and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and advice now.

Jim

Any opinions on placement out from the front walls in this room?  And will the entry and door frame be a major detriment?

dspringham

« Reply #48 on: 4 Jul 2016, 11:43 pm »
Regarding the design of these two models and more specifically relating to the M4 (which has less bass extension), is there a negative effect associated with running a conventional sealed sub to augment the low bass? Since the quality of OB bass is said to be unique due to the absence of an enclosure, is this quality compromised in anyway by supplementation with an external sub (ie defeating the purpose of the OB design re: bass response)?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #49 on: 5 Jul 2016, 02:57 am »
I have owned Cornwalls and have a pair of M3 Turbo S on order.   At RMAF a couple of years back I heard an Emerald Physics speaker (OB and designed by Clayton) with sealed subs and they sounded great.  I recall reading that the Spatials are fine sounding even in poor rooms.  Without enough knowledge to comment on your room, I still feel you will be delighted with your new Spatials and you will find them far superior to the Cornwalls.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #50 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:29 am »
relating to the M4 (which has less bass extension), is there a negative effect associated with running a conventional sealed sub to augment the low bass?

I would do it. It would have more impact. But it better be a fast sub.

Rocket Ronny

JackD

« Reply #51 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:42 am »
Since the ACIs are off the table now that leaves something like the REL T9/I or S2.  Haven't tried one yet but the Rythmik F12SE may work also. The REL's are the closest thing to the ACIs which I know work.  I would stick to sealed 10s or 12s at the outside with the ability to crossover below the standard 50 hz.

mick wolfe

« Reply #52 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:42 pm »

Regarding the design of these two models and more specifically relating to the M4 (which has less bass extension), is there a negative effect associated with running a conventional sealed sub to augment the low bass? Since the quality of OB bass is said to be unique due to the absence of an enclosure, is this quality compromised in anyway by supplementation with an external sub (ie defeating the purpose of the OB design re: bass response)?

Can't speak for the M4 , but even a modest pair of HSU VTF-1 MK.II subs work quite well with the M2 Turbos. Extremely versatile subs and plenty quick in "sealed" mode. ( 10" drivers) Open baffle bass signature fully maintained with added punch.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #53 on: 5 Jul 2016, 04:47 pm »
BTW, not sure you will need or want subs with the M3's...

In no way do I find them lacking in the bass area.

George

Blueone302

« Reply #54 on: 7 Jul 2016, 07:36 pm »
Also, just curious.  Can you describe how long it was from the time you ordered to the time you received your speakers.

cfisher835

« Reply #55 on: 7 Jul 2016, 07:43 pm »
Also, just curious.  Can you describe how long it was from the time you ordered to the time you received your speakers.

I ordered mine last Monday and they shipped today. Clayton said that they were at about a 2 week turnaround but mine made it out quicker.

Blueone302

« Reply #56 on: 7 Jul 2016, 07:52 pm »
Wow!  That's pretty quick.  Well, I ordered mine the Saturday before the 4th.  Made me wonder if the holiday might back up the order fulfillment process.  I'll look forward to hearing from your evaluation.  Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #57 on: 7 Jul 2016, 07:53 pm »

I think it was around 3 weeks.

Just shoot an email to Clayton and he will let you know.

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 7 Jul 2016, 10:19 pm »
It was a few weeks for mine.  No biggie. 

Blueone302

« Reply #59 on: 7 Jul 2016, 10:40 pm »
Good to hear.  I guess I can handle a few weeks.  Clayton told me a little over two.  and then on another forum someone said "they heard the wait was out to months".   So anyway, whether your timetable examples hold true in my case or not, this reminds me of one of the best things about this hobby.  Or, one of the worst things.  The anticipation.  My wife says I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas morning.  I'm okay with that.  Also, FYI, I started a new thread regarding amps and the M3's.  If you have any thoughts, please chime in.  Jim