Sylvania 5UG4 Rectifier tube ID

Yomaha

Sylvania 5UG4 Rectifier tube ID
« on: 9 Dec 2016, 12:00 am »
I found this in the back of an old big box all-in-one radio at an antique store.  It was an old RCA unit with built in phono and radio and speakers.  I looked up the model of the radio unit and it dated back to the 1930's.  Of course this could have been a replacement tube and newer than that. 

I haven't been able to place the exact date of the tube, but I cleaned it up and it sounds really good in my Dennis Had Firebottle.  Anyone have any insights as to what date range this tube was made?  Or what other identifiers can I use to date the tube?

Thanks! 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sylvania 5UG4 Rectifier tube ID
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2016, 06:18 am »
The tube name/model and date code usually are labeled on the glass or base, by the image seems a 274B imo.

danabunner

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2017, 06:37 pm »
Looks like the Sylvania 5U4G ST tubes that were made in the 1940s.

Tubedepot sells them.  https://www.tubedepot.com/products/sylvania-5u4g

Yomaha

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2017, 08:45 pm »
I've enjoyed this tube, but my favorite overall has been the usaf-596 rectifier.  I find it to be the most balanced of the rectifiers I have.  I did have to order the adapter but I have not had any major issues with hum or low end rumble.  Neither highs, nor mids, now lows seem to be more pronounced than one another on average.  While some tubes are known for a nice round low end that the Sophia Princess or the lush highs of my metal base GZ34, the 596 has just been a great well balance overall performer for me.

Yomaha

THE Podcast Editors

screener

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2017, 10:32 pm »
The 596 is a good tube. I wish I had picked one up a year ago.