Bi amping Visaton B200/Eminence Alphas

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
Bi amping Visaton B200/Eminence Alphas
« on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:36 am »
Sheesh, what a moron I are.
For all this time Ive been listening to my Visaton B200s (two per side) and Eminence Alphas run full range by a 30wpc tube hybrid amp. While in behind these I used a plate amp (Kiega 5230) to drive my dual cylinder subs which use DIY cable 15-inch drivers.

The other day I decided to use the plate amp to drive the Eminence Alphas, and the JLTI tube hybrid chip amp to just power the B200s.

Holy crap in a chicken basket Batman. The cylinder subs are now gone. The Alphas in the H frame are just humming; there's now plenty of bass impact. Should have known really because pro drivers often like lots of watts to get them cranking. NOW I understand what others have been saying about how good these drivers can sound OB. Really dont think I need to go for two pairs of these, given how much space they'd take up.

Next Im thinking of trying some B&C pro tweeters on top, given the good raps these are getting.
Cheers
Luigi

Luigi

• Busa doing the business
Re: Bi amping Visaton B200/Eminence Alphas
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2011, 12:50 am »
After a little advice, as usual.

Been using the single-channel Kiega 5230 subwoofer plate amp for Alpha 15 biamping duties, simply running a set of cables to each Alpha 15, and continuing to use the 9mH passive crossover (the Kiega has a crossover bypass switch).

A friend mentioned I should be using a decent two-channel subamp rather than doubling up a mono signal, especially as the Alpha passive low pass crossover is set around 200Hz.

My question: does anyone make a decent two-channel amp specifically for biamping (with the option of a switchable low pass crossover)?

Or should I just run a signal out from my preamp, into another volume control and then into a stereo amp, (or possibly an integrated) and let the passive 9mH crossover do the rest?

Im thinking the latter would probably be the easiest route. But then a stereo amp with switchable low pass crossover and volume control(s) might just kill two birds with one stone.