Roman Kozak

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #200 on: 1 Dec 2017, 12:53 pm »

My loved pair !
NuPrime Dac-9+Densen B-100

pewe

« Reply #201 on: 4 May 2018, 05:39 pm »
Is it possible to use xlr and rca outputs from the dac9 at the same time? I want to use the xlr's from dac9 to a pair of active speakers  and the rca outputs to an active subwoofer.

John Casler

« Reply #202 on: 4 May 2018, 06:07 pm »
Is it possible to use xlr and rca outputs from the dac9 at the same time? I want to use the xlr's from dac9 to a pair of active speakers  and the rca outputs to an active subwoofer.

Yes, both are active at the same time.

tudorbuda

« Reply #203 on: 8 May 2018, 09:18 pm »
Hello all,

i'm new here, I made the account because i recently bought a Nuprime DAC 9 and 2x STA 9.
I'm having a couple of issues with the DAC (i had 3, but the USB buzz dissapeared after I modified the power cord, leaving out the ground wire. Powered usb hub didn't solve it.)

1 - each time i plug in the DAC a very loud BANG comes out of the speakers (probably full power). If i turn it on and off it stays quiet, but if i unplug and then plug it again, it`s heart attack time. Luckily my main speakers are being refinished and i`m using some small Quad 12L bookshelfs. it stays on 99% of the time, but when i need to do some cable management, i always forget to disconnect the speakers or XLRs before i plug in the DAC.

2 - I'd like to use the DAC 9 for my headphones setup too, but when i connect the RCAs from dac out to my Lehmann Linear RCA in, I have to raise the DAC volume and thus, sending power to the speakers aswell.
Right now it`s like this: PC>usb>dac9>optical out>Styleaudio Carat Sapphire DAC>RCA to Lehmann Linear> HD800... and it`s rather stupid. I'd like to get rid of some of the small boxes, not add other ones :)

rustydoglim

« Reply #204 on: 11 May 2018, 04:02 am »
Regarding the pop, you should not be plugging and unplugging the DAC without going through the power switch. When power switch is used to turn on/off the device, there is a relay that will properly power on and off internal components (to avoid random pop noise).

For headphone use, normally you would be using another headphone amp with volume control, such as HPA-9.

tudorbuda

« Reply #205 on: 11 May 2018, 05:21 pm »
Thanks for the answer.

about the headphone issue, i won't add another unit just for that. I'll probably switch to DAC 10H, to get rid of the other two small boxes
2 questions, tho:

1 - do you think it will be a better headphone amp than the Lehmann Linear? I'll stick with HD800 and Audeze LCD2
2 - won't i have the same issue? If i want to switch to headphones, can I separately control the volumes on the headphones and amp output?

rustydoglim

« Reply #206 on: 13 May 2018, 08:20 am »
about the headphone issue, i won't add another unit just for that. I'll probably switch to DAC 10H, to get rid of the other two small boxes
2 questions, tho:

1 - do you think it will be a better headphone amp than the Lehmann Linear? I'll stick with HD800 and Audeze LCD2
2 - won't i have the same issue? If i want to switch to headphones, can I separately control the volumes on the headphones and amp output?

1. Read the review https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/nuprime-dac-10h-digital-analog-converter-headphone-amp#3tYhiFHSReehBLXl.97.  I will save you the effort - the headphone amp on DAC-10H is as good as a well known $3000 pure headphone amp, both reviewers were shocked to find out.
2. DAC-10H has 16 gain settings so you can find something that match your headphone and speaker, if you are too lazy to adjust the volume when you switch over from one to another :)

By the way, it is somewhere in the manual that you need to use remote control to turn off the line out of DAC-10H.  Inserting the headphone will not automatically turn off speaker. DAC-10H was designed with studio professionals in mind.

tudorbuda

« Reply #207 on: 21 May 2018, 09:53 am »
Thank you for your answers,

now i connected the DAC 9 to a ROTEL RB 1090 trough unbalanced RCAs. Power switch on 0, plugged everything, press the power switch, BANG! 380w POP in some poor Quad bookshelfs, to the point where it may have caused some permanent damage to the drivers. Do you think that i may have received a defective unit? Should I RMA it?

Also the ground loop noises are back when connected trough USB, even with the ground wire disabled. I'll have to test it, switching back to the STA 9s, conecting the Rotel by XLR, etc. trough optical it's all good (the toslink small lid/cover got stuck in, then fell off)

By the way, about the review, it doesn't say that it's better than a 3k dedicated amp, it says that he never heard a $300 headphone amp (the price difference between 10 and 10H) that sounded this good.: "HiFiMAN's new HE-1000 flagship has impressive highs and also sounds quite good from the DAC-10H. That probably makes for my favorite combo of all, though I recognize the price discrepancy is fairly extreme. Folks running a $3k headphone would almost certainly own a dedicated high-end headphone amp. Still, it's nice to hear what the NuPrime is capable of."

That's why i asked, because the Lehmann Linear is a 900 euro amp and while i sincerely hope that the 10H is better, i wouldn't want to be a bit dissapointed.

MASH

« Reply #208 on: 26 May 2018, 07:08 pm »
Hi everyone :)

I have a STA 9 with DAC 9. Wondering if anyone has experience with bluetooth dongle for DAC 9 - BTR-8
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BTR-8-Bluetooth-adapter-Bluetooth-streaming-receiver-For-NuPrime-IDA-8-DAC-9-/312033718675

Thank You,
Kind Regards

pewe

« Reply #209 on: 28 May 2018, 12:40 pm »
Thank you for your answers,

now i connected the DAC 9 to a ROTEL RB 1090 trough unbalanced RCAs. Power switch on 0, plugged everything, press the power switch, BANG! 380w POP in some poor Quad bookshelfs, to the point where it may have caused some permanent damage to the drivers. Do you think that i may have received a defective unit? Should I RMA it?

This is my start up procedure on My Nuforce Ref 9V2:s monoblock and P8 preamp. I'm sure you can use the same technique for your DAC9. When the monoblocks and preamp have the power switch to "off" I switch the pre amp to "on". The preamp then automatically goes into stand by. Then I switch the monoblocks to "on". A very soft click is heard through the speakers. And after that I use the remote to start up the preamp by clicking "on".

Shutting down is the reverse: First "off" with the remote and then shutting down the monoblocks with the power switch on the back. You can't have your amp(s) on and then use the power switch on the back of the preamp....you will hear a loud noise.

pewe

« Reply #210 on: 18 Jun 2018, 09:07 pm »
I'm really close on pulling the tigger on a DAC9, replacing my Nuforce P8 preamp.  I need digital input as well as rca. My Nuforce ref 9 v2 monoblock will stay.

Wonder if this will be an upgrade? Unfortunately I can not listen before buying. Any thoughts on this?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #211 on: 18 Jun 2018, 09:18 pm »
Hi everyone :)

I have a STA 9 with DAC 9. Wondering if anyone has experience with bluetooth dongle for DAC 9 - BTR-8
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BTR-8-Bluetooth-adapter-Bluetooth-streaming-receiver-For-NuPrime-IDA-8-DAC-9-/312033718675

I know it doesn't exactly answer your specific question, but I tried the BTR-8 with the IDA-8 and while it does function as it should, the SQ isn't going to take your breath away. Still it is useful for what it is...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #212 on: 18 Jun 2018, 09:21 pm »
I'm really close on pulling the tigger on a DAC9, replacing my Nuforce P8 preamp.  I need digital input as well as rca.

Wonder if this will be an upgrade? Unfortunately I can not listen before buying. Any thoughts on this?

At the very least I would try it, most places will allow you a trial period.

rustydoglim

« Reply #213 on: 22 Jun 2018, 04:27 pm »
NuForce P8 to DAC-9, go ahead it is a no brainer upgrade. 

simon740

« Reply #214 on: 21 Jul 2018, 09:46 pm »
Hello,

Im a new on this forum and Im interesting in DAC-9.
I need DAC with good volume control for my Sonodyne SRP-205 speakers.
Do you think this will be a good match?

Sorry for my bad english :oops:

regards,
Simon

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #215 on: 23 Jul 2018, 06:04 pm »
Hello Simon,

Before any definitive answer, there may be some terminology that needs to be explained.  The DAC-9 is a Digital Analog Converter which will make a digital signal such as a Computer USB, or TV Optical 'toslink' output into analog sound, and output that through its RCA or XLR connectors, with a very good Pre Amplifier in there for volume control.  In that regard, the DAC-9 would be great.  But the output of the DAC-9 is a LINE LEVEL output.

Most speakers would require a power AMP to change that signal into speaker signal-levels.  Since your speakers are powered speakers (they have an in-built amplifier), then yes, all you would need is a good DAC + PRE (like the DAC-9 or DAC-10) and you are set to go!

But since you probably already knew this, what exactly is it that you are inquiring? Where you asking for synergy between those two components and their sound characteristics? or just asking if they would pair together correctly?

Best regards,
Rafa.

simon740

« Reply #216 on: 24 Jul 2018, 07:57 am »
Hello Simon,

Before any definitive answer, there may be some terminology that needs to be explained.  The DAC-9 is a Digital Analog Converter which will make a digital signal such as a Computer USB, or TV Optical 'toslink' output into analog sound, and output that through its RCA or XLR connectors, with a very good Pre Amplifier in there for volume control.  In that regard, the DAC-9 would be great.  But the output of the DAC-9 is a LINE LEVEL output.

Most speakers would require a power AMP to change that signal into speaker signal-levels.  Since your speakers are powered speakers (they have an in-built amplifier), then yes, all you would need is a good DAC + PRE (like the DAC-9 or DAC-10) and you are set to go!

But since you probably already knew this, what exactly is it that you are inquiring? Where you asking for synergy between those two components and their sound characteristics? or just asking if they would pair together correctly?

Best regards,
Rafa.

Hello Rafa,

yes Im asking for synergy between DAC-9 and Sonodyne SRP-205.
Because this speakers have a little "studio sound signature" I think it will be Ok If some warmth of DAC-9 will be add. But in the same time I like transparent sound. Open sound without too sharp sound. For now I have this speakers paired with Topping D30 (with XLR to RCA cable - this is just for now) and the sound is open, transparent...But of course I need a really balanced dac for best sound.
I like DAC-10 too, but I'm a little afraid of "sabre glare".

regards,
Simon

KLH007

« Reply #217 on: 25 Jul 2018, 03:28 pm »
I own a DAC9 for a second system, just a hint of warmth and great preamp built in, should be a good match for your active speakers.

simon740

« Reply #218 on: 25 Jul 2018, 04:27 pm »
I choose between Nuprime DAC-9 and RME ADI-2 DAC  :| :? hmm...
difficult choices :?

envydd

« Reply #219 on: 25 Jul 2018, 07:36 pm »
If you are considering the R2Rs, why not DAC-9. For my second system, I would either buy a cheap DAC from massdrop/amazon (e.g. Topping D50/D7xs) which have awesome technical reviews (https://www.audiosciencereview.com) or something that I have listened to myself in person (e.g. NuPrime DAC-9/10 series)!