Isoclean vs HiFi Tuning Fuses

Eric

Isoclean vs HiFi Tuning Fuses
« on: 11 May 2010, 02:59 pm »
Has anyone had a chance to compare the fuses from Isoclean vs. Hi-Fi Tuning. What are the sonic merits of each?

TheChairGuy

Re: Isoclean vs HiFi Tuning Fuses
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2010, 03:48 pm »
Eric,

I haven't compared any of the audiophool-grade fuses....but you may want to try a dab of Caig De-Oxit and ProGold on each end of any standard fuse AND wrap some electrical tape around the barrel for damping.

I did it a few years and thought I heard a distinct improvement as a result.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper option than a $20 fuse :) (but perhaps not the full bang upgrade that these fuses may or may not deliver)

John

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2010, 04:13 pm »
Here is a tweak I've used,remove the nickel  plating from the fuse with a 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper,polish with Wenol or Flitz polish
and then treat with Caig Progold. At the end of the nickel plating doesn't sound good. If I could buy copper bodied fuses I would be set,but I haven't seen them yet.
Scotty

Westsidejon

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2010, 04:44 pm »
I've tried both in my system recently as they are cheap tweaks!

The HiFi Tuning fuse improved the high and low frequencies and seemed to open up the soundstage further in my system, so overall a definite improvement.

Isoclean certainly improved the treble in my system, more so than the HiFi Tuning fuse, but did little with the bass and the soundstage seemed to shrink, compared to the HiFi tuning fuse.

I now use 2 HiFi Tuning fuses in my main system and use the Isoclean fuse on my AV system as these audiophile fuses do improve picture quality on my TV. I think for the improvements in MY system, they are well worth the money!

Listens2tubes

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2010, 01:20 am »
Try the Acme Labs fuses. They were deamed to be the best sounding at a fuse shootout I attended. http://www.acmeaudiolabs.com/products.htm Of cousre I have no affiliation to Acme.

petern

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2010, 05:54 am »
Try the Acme Labs fuses. They were deamed to be the best sounding at a fuse shootout I attended. http://www.acmeaudiolabs.com/products.htm Of cousre I have no affiliation to Acme.
Listens2Tubes, could you summarize the shootout in term of how the Acme Labs fuses sounded vs. the others? I am looking for less pricey alternatives to the HiFi Tuning and at $10/piece the Acme look very attractive if they are on par or better than the HiFi Tuning. Thanks, Peter.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2010, 07:27 am »
I use Isoclean fuses in my two Butler 3150 amps, about 3 years now but only because they were the 1st really hightech fuse to appear on the market. The problem I do have with Isoclean tho is their claim that these $40 fuses need to be replaced every 3-6 months. Had I known this beforehand, I probably never would have purchased them in the 1st place, regardless of how much I actually like them. But what's done is done and I have no intention of replacing them til I have to.

I also use a Hi-Fi fuse in my Havana Dac and while I can't make a head to head comparison with Isoclean, I can say that I really like the Hi-Fi fuse in my Dac. Both fuses are an improvement over stock but neither are worth the asking price. But then again, what audiophile product is.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin