Denon 5900 Mods

modwright

Denon 5900 Mods
« on: 21 Dec 2003, 12:52 am »
Okay guys, so I have finished a non-tube mod for the 5900 and it is FANTASTIC!  I also have a 2900 that I am working on and will be doing a tube mod on it.  Mods for the 5900 are available now and will be on our website soon.

Following are Denon 5900 Mods Options and pricing:

2CH Level I mods: $550

1) Upgrade all rectiifers diodes to FREDs.
2) Improve filtering in all power supplies.
3) Upgrade analog coupling scheme, getting rid of 2CH electrolytic coupling caps and coupling with Auricaps.
4) Upgrading All OP-AMPS in 2CH analog stage to Burr Browns - 10 total.
5) Upgrading key decoupling caps in analog and digital supplies to Black Gates.

AC Bybee Filter Option (Add $170).

Multi-Channel Option: Add $150.

6) Upgrades all MCH op-amps to Burr Browns and upgrades MCH coupling caps to Black Gates.

The 5900 is a very well built and designed unit with phenomenal video options and the very best DACs that I have heard, made specificly for them by Burr Brown.  I believe the DSD1790 DAC chip has some of the best measured specs available.  My ears confirm this to be true.

The stock unit suffers from decent but average parts quality, a horrible electrolytic analog coupling circuit design, poor quality JRC op-amps throughout (All surface mount types) and decent but average power supply filtering.

Built quality is excellent with good weight and vibration damping in the stock unit.

I liked this piece much more than I expected and would have to say that it is the best Universal Player that I have worked with yet, that is also reasonably priced.  I have yet to hear the Esoteric, but for 3x the price, it would hve to be a LOT better than the Denon to pursuade me to recommend it over the 5900.

DENON 2900 ----- I am still working on this one, but expect to have the work done in the next couple/few weeks.

Plans for this mod include:

1) Upgrade rectifiers to FREDs.
2) Improve stock power supply filtering.
3) Upgrade stock op-amps with Burr Browns.
4) Revise analog coupling scheme to use Auricaps and get rid of all electrolytic coupling caps in two CH circuit.
5) Revise/simplifiy analog filtering for cleaner signal path.

I expect to offer Level I mods for the same or similar price as for the 5900. I expect to offer a Level II mod that will include an additional analog power supply of our own design.  The 2900 only has a switch-mode supply, while the 5900 has separate audio and video supplies.  Pricing on this is still TBD.

In addition to the Level I and II mods, I expect to offer a Universal Truth mod, that will include all/most of the above, as well as our own tube analog stage for the front two (maybe the center channel also) and its own tube power supply.  I am considering using 12AU7 or 6922 tubes for this application and am going to try to keep the entire mod contained inside the stock enclosure - i.e. no tubes poking out and no outboard supplies.  Anticipated price for this mod = $1000-$1200.

Please stay tuned and let me know if you are interested in Level I mods for the 5900 as they are ready NOW!!!

Thanks,

Dan W.

HChi

Denon 5900 Mods
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2003, 04:16 am »
Dan,
  Thanks very much for the upate.  It looks very exciting.  Sonically, how does it compare to sony 9000es/999es fully modded or even scd-777es/xa-777es?

Thanks,
Howard

romandoc

• http://romandoc.com/
Tube mod
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2003, 11:23 am »
6922 family is great, there's so many great NOS examples to choose from!
Thanks for the great news.

modwright

Denon
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2003, 08:28 pm »
I have honestly not done a head-head comparison with the Sony's, but I am VERY impressed with its sound and would expect it to be on the same level if not better AND it is Unversal!

Dan

Christophe35

Denon 5900 Mods
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2003, 02:17 pm »
Dan, do you plan a non tube mod for the Denon 2900 ? It should be interresting if the result comes close to what you described with the 5900.

Christophe

modwright

Denon 2900
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2003, 10:11 pm »
Yes, I am planning and finallizing a non-tube mod for the 2900 also.  I expect it to also be $550 and will include the following:

1) Upgrade rectifiers.
2) Improve power supply filtering, shielding and HF noise reduction.
3) Upgrade key capacitors to Black Gates.
4) Upgrade all 2CH op-amps.
5) Revise/upgrade analog coupling to include Auricap signal capacitors.
6) Revise/improve analog filtering scheme.
7) Shielding/damping mods.

Bybee filters will be a $170 upgrade for AC Bybees - 2 pcs. installed.

Clock upgrades are also being investigated.

I am VERY impressed with this unit as well as the 5900 and I do believe that both of these represent the BEST Universal players currently available.

Dan

jjtoma

Denon 5900 Mods
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2003, 05:03 am »
Dan

Concerning the clock upgrade will it be for the 5900 also?

Thanks
Jim

modwright

Clock Upgrade
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2003, 07:27 pm »
We will be offering the LC Audio XO3 clock upgrade for both units for $375 installed as an option with any of our mods.

Thanks,

Dan

PeteG

Denon 5900 Mods
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2003, 11:56 pm »
I know the level I mod is for 2ch audio, but will the video benefit any.

modwright

Video Benefits?
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2004, 06:24 pm »
Video will benefit from the mods to the power supplies as they also serve the video circuitry.  Aside from this, we don't specificly modify the video circuitry.

Thanks,

Dan