Speaker Wire

Long Ear

Speaker Wire
« on: 9 Oct 2011, 02:20 am »
Hello VMPS'ers
Has anyone tried the Anti-Cables speaker wire or ic's that are advertised on audiogon? I've got RM-40's & wondering what your preferences are? Thanks

John Casler

Re: Speaker Wire
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2011, 07:24 pm »
Hi Long Ear,

While the Anti-Cables are quite popular, I haven't heard of any VMPS owners using them yet.  Most of my listening has been with WyWires, AudioQuest, SoundString, Kimber, and even some of the LOWES DIY wires Marty DeWulf promoted.

7x57

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2012, 04:34 pm »
Samuel Furon of Montreal is now handmaking cables and interconnects based on the latest research concerning Micro Discharge Interface noise that exists between conductors and insulation materials that a top French researcher has written scientific papers about. Very solid science behind it, instead of the usual wire bandit snake oil that I associate with audiophile cabling. PHY-HP loudspeakers of France has been using the technology for some time in their top drivers that use silver wiring and silk insulation. Synthetic materials are bad as far as MDI noise goes. Custom point-to-point handwired guitar amp makers that use cotton insulated wire coated with shellac have known this for years, without knowing the scientific reasoning behind it. Alnico or Neo magnets, LCOFC silver or copper wire, natural insulation, high efficiency low mass drivers, point-to-point wiring seem to be the future.....firmly rooted in the top audio gear of the past. Furon's cabling is not a tone control, but a method of maintaing neutrality once you have achieved your sound, as far as I have been able to understand it. Never heard his cabling, but he has been getting very positive reviews. I think he made the Ocellia speakers built in France that used acoustic instrument cabinet construction methods. I heard he made amplifiers for his personal use that used his anti-MDI cabling and point-to-point wiring construction, but I don't think those are for sale yet. I think PHY-HP also sells some interconnects that are anti-MDI as well. PHY-HP is very poorly distributed in the USA (Madisound sells the drivers, I think), and I got no response when I wrote the French company. Hopefully, Samuel Furon will give much better customer service than PHY-HP since moving to Montreal, Canada. Not cheap by any standard, but much lower in price than his rightful competition as far as what I have read so far, much like VMPS products.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:07 pm »
I tried anti-cables, both single run and biwired, with RM-30M.  I concluded they were adequate if price is a limiting factor.  IThe RM-30s had better resolution, air, and smoothness with some other more expensive cables I tried. 

7x57

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2012, 05:20 pm »
Scottdazzle, are you referring to the Ocellia Reference cables, the latest ones Samuel Furon makes? He marketed a previous cable, but I understand the Ocellia Reference is noticeably better than his original cables.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2012, 07:44 pm »
Scottdazzle, are you referring to the Ocellia Reference cables, the latest ones Samuel Furon makes? He marketed a previous cable, but I understand the Ocellia Reference is noticeably better than his original cables.

I'm not familiar with Ocellia. I was referring to the Bolder Nitro cables which aren't made anymore and one other that I can't mention in this post because of my association with the manufacturer.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm »
Samuel Furon of Montreal is now handmaking cables and interconnects based on the latest research concerning Micro Discharge Interface noise that exists between conductors and insulation materials that a top French researcher has written scientific papers about. Very solid science behind it, instead of the usual wire bandit snake oil that I associate with audiophile cabling. PHY-HP loudspeakers of France has been using the technology for some time in their top drivers that use silver wiring and silk insulation. Synthetic materials are bad as far as MDI noise goes. Custom point-to-point handwired guitar amp makers that use cotton insulated wire coated with shellac have known this for years, without knowing the scientific reasoning behind it. Alnico or Neo magnets, LCOFC silver or copper wire, natural insulation, high efficiency low mass drivers, point-to-point wiring seem to be the future.....firmly rooted in the top audio gear of the past. Furon's cabling is not a tone control, but a method of maintaing neutrality once you have achieved your sound, as far as I have been able to understand it. Never heard his cabling, but he has been getting very positive reviews. I think he made the Ocellia speakers built in France that used acoustic instrument cabinet construction methods. I heard he made amplifiers for his personal use that used his anti-MDI cabling and point-to-point wiring construction, but I don't think those are for sale yet. I think PHY-HP also sells some interconnects that are anti-MDI as well. PHY-HP is very poorly distributed in the USA (Madisound sells the drivers, I think), and I got no response when I wrote the French company. Hopefully, Samuel Furon will give much better customer service than PHY-HP since moving to Montreal, Canada. Not cheap by any standard, but much lower in price than his rightful competition as far as what I have read so far, much like VMPS products.

Maybe you should start a thread in The Path of Least Resistance Circle where all these assertions of yours can be discussed and where you might provide links to support your "very solid science" claims? Just a thought if you are so inclined to do so. Might make for a lively discussion in a Circle that's actually based for this type of topic.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin