multi-channel with several SMs

path73

multi-channel with several SMs
« on: 5 Apr 2013, 07:09 pm »
Hi,
I am looking into building a digital system either using a software DSP or using a hardware miniDSP to drive 8 channels of an active speaker system, inspired by what I read here http://linkwitzlab.com/LX521/DSP_challenge.htm#One my speakers being the weakest link in my playback system.
As I know how dramatically jitter affects my listening pleasure in my present stereo system (thanks to Empirical's really addictive devices that keep getting tweaked and improved!!), I was wondering if it would make sense to use 4 SMs to reclock the 8 SPDIF signals after DSP before feeding the DACs.
Would such a setup require some form of sync'ing between the SMs (is this even possible with SMs?) or would the timing inaccuracies (mostly the relative delay I guess) between different SMs running in parallel have negligible impact on sound quality? As this would be a significant investment, I just wanted to have some advice if the effort would not be inherently jeopardized by the non-sync'ed SMs approach itself.
Many thanks for any advice on this topic,
/patrick

audioengr

Re: multi-channel with several SMs
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2013, 04:14 pm »
Hi,
I am looking into building a digital system either using a software DSP or using a hardware miniDSP to drive 8 channels of an active speaker system, inspired by what I read here http://linkwitzlab.com/LX521/DSP_challenge.htm#One my speakers being the weakest link in my playback system.
As I know how dramatically jitter affects my listening pleasure in my present stereo system (thanks to Empirical's really addictive devices that keep getting tweaked and improved!!), I was wondering if it would make sense to use 4 SMs to reclock the 8 SPDIF signals after DSP before feeding the DACs.
Would such a setup require some form of sync'ing between the SMs (is this even possible with SMs?) or would the timing inaccuracies (mostly the relative delay I guess) between different SMs running in parallel have negligible impact on sound quality? As this would be a significant investment, I just wanted to have some advice if the effort would not be inherently jeopardized by the non-sync'ed SMs approach itself.
Many thanks for any advice on this topic,
/patrick

This would work just fine with several DACs being fed by several SMs.  No sync or delay problems.

Steve N.