Name this new 3-way

billmcc

Re: Name this new 3-way
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:14 am »
I'm curious to as why the woofer is set so low in the cabinet. I'm sure it's due to the design but it is different (in a good way :)).

Bill

JonnyFive

« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:34 am »
Are these sealed, TL, or rear ported?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:37 am »
The lower positioning is to minimize floor bounce cancellation, where the woofer output hits the floor, and bounces back out of phase.  It depends on the cabinet baffle dimensions and the individual characteristics of the woofer, but sometimes it's necessary to get the woofer closer to the floor to minimize this type of cancellation.   That complicates crossover design between the woofer and midrange, but that can be overcome with modern simulation programs. 

jsalk

« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:02 am »
Are these sealed, TL, or rear ported?

They are rear ported.

- Jim

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:11 am »
Salk Hat Trick
Salk Triad
Salk Triple-Play
Salk Tripoli

More as I come up with them.

- Woody

Odal3

« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:12 am »
Thanks for sharing the background story of the design. It's always interesting to hear.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2016, 04:31 am »
Jim,

My name idea will only make sense if you are courting Chinese audiophiles. I suggest "San Xian". San is "three" and Xian is "deity". Salk Three Deities speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #27 on: 11 Apr 2016, 11:06 am »
Tango or Trident.

Ryan45872

« Reply #28 on: 11 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm »
Salk Trinity

dflee

« Reply #29 on: 11 Apr 2016, 01:04 pm »
Baseball analogy: Triple Play series
Name the first one Tinkers (Chicagoans know this one).
Be great for the show.

Don

mritschdorff

« Reply #30 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:50 pm »
Trilogy

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #31 on: 11 Apr 2016, 04:15 pm »
Salk Essentia

Definition of essentia: "that is such by its essence"
I think that sounds good when talking about a neutral, full range speaker.

Other options:

Salk Song Essentia

Salk Soul

Salk Song Soul

Salk Song Spirit

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #32 on: 11 Apr 2016, 04:21 pm »
Will they have grills? Will the grill cover the entire front or will it be a 2-piece "bikini" style thing?

Would it all be possible to have the bass driver face the rear or down fire? I think it would be awesome to see a speaker with what appears to only have a ribbon tweeter and 4" driver but then play down to 30hz.

jsalk

« Reply #33 on: 11 Apr 2016, 05:09 pm »
Will they have grills? Will the grill cover the entire front or will it be a 2-piece "bikini" style thing?

Yes, we will have one grill that starts at the top of the speaker and goes to just under the woofer where it is radiused.

Would it all be possible to have the bass driver face the rear or down fire? I think it would be awesome to see a speaker with what appears to only have a ribbon tweeter and 4" driver but then play down to 30hz.

Unfortunately, that would not work.  You can do subwoofers that way because the crossover frequency is very low.  But these woofers cross higher to the midrange and you could never get them integrated if you moved them to a rear or down-firing position.

- Jim

srb

« Reply #34 on: 11 Apr 2016, 05:47 pm »
You can do subwoofers that way because the crossover frequency is very low.  But these woofers cross higher to the midrange and you could never get them integrated if you moved them to a rear or down-firing position.

Because of the rather large distance between the midrange and woofer, this would seem like a fairly far-field loudspeaker compared to the other designs.  What would you say is the preferred minimum listening distance?

Steve

gab

« Reply #35 on: 11 Apr 2016, 05:48 pm »
Salk Tori

Salk Satoru

Salk Kenshō

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #36 on: 11 Apr 2016, 06:08 pm »
Because of the rather large distance between the midrange and woofer, this would seem like a fairly far-field loudspeaker compared to the other designs.  What would you say is the preferred minimum listening distance?

Steve

The speaker was optimized for a listening distance of 3 meters or more.  But It does pretty well at one meter.  The main difference is that the response in the 300 - 800 Hz range will be a bit flatter further back.  The spacing isn't as much of a problem as you might think because the wave lengths at the crossover point are fairly long. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #37 on: 11 Apr 2016, 06:15 pm »
Touchstone's

Tom Alverson

« Reply #38 on: 11 Apr 2016, 06:30 pm »
When I saw the picture I thought of the monoliths in 2001- a Space Odyssey.  So my name suggestion is

Salk Odyssey

Definition of odyssey
: a long journey full of adventures

dbx

« Reply #39 on: 11 Apr 2016, 06:58 pm »
Salk Audio Concorde

Salk Soundscape Jr.

Others here have mentioned other well-worthy names for this new line of speaker.