NuPrime Raspberry Pi Server and DAC with volume control

rustydoglim

Re: NuPrime Raspberry Pi Server and DAC with volume control
« Reply #80 on: 11 Nov 2016, 08:26 pm »
I will check with the factory about status.
This project is mainly to produce a chassis and power supply for DIY media server.  So, hard disk and DAC are optional.
We are building from DAC-9/STA-9 series chassis so silver should be doable. I have to check if there is going to be any silver for the first batch.

The goal of this project is not simply to produce a chassis for Raspbery Pi.  Eventually it will be revealed ;).

rustydoglim

« Reply #81 on: 25 Nov 2016, 04:53 pm »
We ran into minor mechanical mistake and have to make a new back panel.

Now we are looking into offering Omnia P1 (without battery and screen) in this form factor too.
Basically instead of Pi + your own DAC, you can have
Omnia motherboard (see the other topic about this) + ESS9018 DAC or AK4490 integrated with super cap and custom audio processor plus sampling rate converter.  So you can run your favourite music streaming app on this server (it comes with a built-in Omnia Renderer and Omnia Media Server on this open Android platform).

zwizardofoz

« Reply #82 on: 17 Dec 2016, 07:59 am »
its beginning to look a lot like christmas... any updates to this Jason? even just as a chassis for some better looking R-Pi housing options would be good

rustydoglim

« Reply #83 on: 18 Dec 2016, 09:40 am »
We are almost there. We ran into a problem insufficient USB ports and decided to add an internal USB hub to the back panel so some sourcing and mechanical stuff has to be redone.
I think we can start shipping in early January.

zwizardofoz

« Reply #84 on: 18 Dec 2016, 05:37 pm »
We are almost there. We ran into a problem insufficient USB ports and decided to add an internal USB hub to the back panel so some sourcing and mechanical stuff has to be redone.
I think we can start shipping in early January.

Awesome ... any updated layout, internal options and pricing?

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #85 on: 21 Dec 2016, 06:27 pm »
Really looking forward as to how this turns out.

Since I don't have a dedicated Amp, but rather a DAC-AMP all-in-one, I decided to 'replicate' this idea with a single Raspberry Pi 3 and Volumio as the OS DAP (Digital Audio Player) hooked via USB to the DAC.

In my limited understanding, this reduces the need (or at least bypasses most of the advantages) of a linear or other expensive PSU / filter. Another advantage is that I don't need extra modules on the RPi as the DAC portion is being handled by the external DAC.

I am curious as to what OS route you are taking? My guess is that regular distros with Plex media server would have the tendency of doing internal resamplings, and other factors.  On the other hand, using this ground-up bit-perfect distros like RuneAudio, Volumio, Moode, etc., would be a 'cleaner' and faster way of achieving better audio signals to the DAC.  Also requires a lot less configuration and allows for other neat features as having AirPlay built into the OS, pre-programmed radio stations, etc.

Any thoughts on software? What am I missing? Interested in insight regarding that part of this amazing PC-DAC you are creating.

Best regards,
Rafa.

rustydoglim

« Reply #86 on: 27 Dec 2016, 04:55 pm »
Yes, space issue, but also to reduce noise. Since this is a source unit (i.e. small signal level and more susceptible to noise, it is also better to locate the power supply outside the box. There is a power filter board inside to clean up the external DC coming in from the AC adapter.
For other high end products like DAC-10, we use more expensive low noise power supply it can be located inside the box.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #87 on: 27 Dec 2016, 08:42 pm »
Any word on the Software side? Or will this be left entirely to the user?

rustydoglim

« Reply #88 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:49 am »
This is DIY stuff, we can't support all sorts of software issues. There is a big Raspbery Pi support community out there.
We thought about installing Raspbery Pi and preconfigure everything, but still lacks the courage to make a commitment.
Seriously, if anyone wants to buy a preconfigured media server (and a player that you can carry away), it will be better off to get the Omnia.

zwizardofoz

« Reply #89 on: 5 Feb 2017, 02:28 am »
Jason, any updates...been another month slipped past?

rustydoglim

« Reply #90 on: 8 Feb 2017, 06:43 pm »
Confirm shipping in March.  The reason for the delay is that we ended up putting a full USB 3.0 / C hub.
It is overkilled for Raspbery Pi but we are preparing for the capability to include the future Omnia server board.
Perhaps also Synology embedded board.

agdev01

« Reply #91 on: 23 Mar 2017, 07:53 pm »
Hi Jason, didn't see anything on the website, any updated pictures?  Currently shipping?

zwizardofoz

« Reply #92 on: 24 Mar 2017, 10:45 am »
We are waiting with baited breath :scratch: turning a shade of blue in the meantime

rustydoglim

« Reply #93 on: 24 Mar 2017, 06:49 pm »
It is coming any time now. I will go update next week.

zwizardofoz

« Reply #94 on: 19 Apr 2017, 05:17 pm »
next week..month...they are slipping by and still nothing?

rustydoglim

« Reply #95 on: 26 Apr 2017, 03:08 pm »
We will start taking orders this Friday, I assume most customers are from USA. This is not yet an official release to distributor so we will take order direct from factory. Sure, it will be supported with warranty and service. Delivery is about 2 weeks after we start taking orders.  I will post the info by Friday.

Mr.tangco

« Reply #96 on: 29 Apr 2017, 04:47 pm »
Can't wait! Was wondering though if the RPi server might come with the Ida-8 remote control, and how it might be set up to run more than just the uDSD volume etc - could it run the RPi 10 foot onscreen UI? Looking forward to details on Friday! Have a great weekend everyone!

zwizardofoz

« Reply #97 on: 30 Apr 2017, 10:37 am »
That engineering image of the back panel won't support a RPi 3b as it has 4 USB on the bac , not 3 as indicated.

Also what is a the speck for the powersupply - RPi needs about 2.5A on its own.

rustydoglim

« Reply #98 on: 5 May 2017, 06:31 pm »
Here's the final pricing NuPrime Pi-9 and only 20 units will be produced (1 year warranty and future repair not a problem as we designed and manufactured the power supply boards).  As long as we have demands, we will continue to manufacturer it.
We call this our DIY Series.
There is an external power supply with internal power filter board that supplies two 2.5A 5V.
One of the USB port is used internally for uDSD (optional) so only 3 ports at the back.

MSRP $399 but for this batch you can order at 20% discount = $319.  They will be shipped directly by FedEx from Taiwan factory to you (including outside of USA order) for $50 flat rate.  If you are in very remote location we might charge in shipping. Anyway, $50 by FedEx Express is a subsidised rate already.

uDSD board = $85, 10% discount for this first batch = $76.50

To place an order, email your name, address, phone number to sales@nuprimeaudio.com and we will send you a Paypal invoice. Remember to mention if you want the uDSD board.
Hey guys, for all our R&D effort (mechanical and electrical engineers for all these work), I think we are losing money doing this  :duh:
So get it before supplies run out or price goes up. 

Shipping around end of May, give or take about a week. All the parts for 20 units are stocked up at the factory so we are ready to go.

rustydoglim

« Reply #99 on: 5 May 2017, 06:34 pm »
Here's how it looks like.  If you don't order the uDSD board, the front panel will look like STA-9.