Please guys,a little direction,downsizing/right sizing

2bigears

:D  hello everybody,,i'm wondering on a move here and really need your guy's help.. i want to get  new amp or combine all into a 1 piece amp/pre to simplify..   right now i have a dig front end,apple-storage-Eric's DAC. KW750 amp,, nice,but heavy and big.VAC pre with phono,,,,Proac d-38's.. very nice piece.
      just would like to tighten' up the system.maybe go one box,,or smaller.. is there a good integrated with a good phono, should/would you guys say get a VAC amp for all tube or get a good modern integrated .. but that VAC pre has such a good phono ..... hummmmmm.
            any help,,thks .. right now,i have two racks and this stuff is all big and heavy.... can modern gear get you your cake and eat it too ???? :D

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Please guys,a little direction,downsizing/right sizing
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2013, 05:11 am »
Well, My owning a VAC preamp too, so i have to say it would be hard to duplicate that in some integrated....
The amp can be changed and still give you the sound you like or better.
How do you have 'two racks' of stuff with a DAC, a pre and an amp?

You might go for smaller mono amps, and place them right behind the speakers. that clears up a lot of real estate at the rack.
Seriously, I do not think you can easily find a smaller solution for all the stuff. AND keep it in the level of sound quality you now have.

Have you already moved? Preplanning is OK, but i would wait until the move is complete, and see how it works out. Then, if you can afford it, do not sell the old stuff until you are really happy with the new stuff. I have been seriously disappointed buying some new thing and foolishly trading in my old item.
Well my suggsetion is only the amp. go for two smaller monoblocks and place them at the speakers.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2013, 05:16 am »
2 big-  Keep that VAC or privately sell it to me :thumb:.  I listen to lots of phono.  Elizabeth makes perfect sense.

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm »
What about the Vac Phi 160i integrated?

I have been lusting over it for a while now thinking about downsizing like you have. I am sure it will maintain the VAC house sound, has a MC phono stage option, and puts out a respectable 85 watts per channel.

In my reading up on it on the net at places like audiogon, several people have downsized from some serious separates and have been happy with it.

The only downside is price.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:58 pm »
The only downside is price.

Yes, I look forward to the day when a $10,000 amp is 'downsizing'.

This place should be called AffluenceCircle  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:13 pm »
This place should be called AffluenceCircle.. :lol:

Remember....you only live once... :wink:

The only downside is price...

Ah....Pat/2bigears can afford it... :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:26 pm »
 :D  haha,,you guys are funny,,,, and i don't want to,like everyone else,break the bank.but that kw750 is a monster,but,,those darn Proacs chew up power,so they say.1 box would be nice,but that pre is a good one..good lord man,,the paradox of choice.... :scratch: :D

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:26 pm »
   The Ayon Orion 2 just may be the ticket. Accuphase another consideration. Have fun listening.

charles

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2013, 05:31 pm »
 :D  THKS ,, would it be a real safe bet to just watch the gon for a 300.1 VAC..... keep it all in the family.one amp,same manufacture and all tube.     ......is all tube ok ,, VAC sure does think so..??  :D  matching amps with preamps and speakers is tricky ....  it's gotta be safe to say that a VAC amp should very well mate nicely with their pre.... :D  what i really wanted was a life-long amp,,system done and just ' forget about it ' .... have you ever heard that before ??   ha  :D