I joined the Modwright community

iamjaymo

Re: I joined the Modwright community
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jun 2013, 02:56 pm »
Please post your impressions of the LS-100 when used with the KWI-200, I have also thought of adding it with my system. According to Dan, it puts the KWI-200 in an another league?  Since I never had used tubes before, I been hesitant to get one.  What speakers are you using w/the KWI?

I will certainly post my impressions.  I am using Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers, non ribbon tweeter model. I too am a tube newbie however I have been so impressed with my Van Alstine Fet Valve DAC that a tube preamp was the next logical step for additional tubeiness. Will let you know...

Dan, perhaps you are the best one to comment on the sonic changes when running the KWI as a power amp with the LS 100...

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2013, 06:12 pm »
It WILL sound better, using a LS 100 tube preamp and the KWI 200 as a straight amp.  The tubes add a nice improvement to the sound and the amp is a TRUE powerhouse.  The combination is exceptional!

Please do post your results!

Thanks,

Dan W.

iamjaymo

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2013, 02:33 am »
Well, she's here!! ...and she's a beauty, just gorgeous! By far the best looking piece I have had in my listening room.  Dan, you were right, it "just sounds better".  I will give a more detailed review when I put more hours in but so far it has added a touch of honey to my cereal.  The LS has given just a tad of liquidity to the midrange and, something I didn't expect, the bass is MUCH improved! The same deep bass tightness I love about the KWI but the LS has added a noticeable "weight" to the music.  It sounds absolutely magnificent.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2013, 11:13 pm by iamjaymo »

maxboy00

« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm »
Sweet! The LS-100 is a nice looking piece of equipment. I look forward to your impressions, everyone into tubes always states how sweet the sound is over SS, and I have thought of getting a tube IA just to try out, but I like the KWI so much I have no desire to remove it from my system. The LS-100 may be the right solution.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2013, 03:36 am »
I've had my (used) SWL 9.0 SE Signature for just about a month and thought it's time to report my experiences.   Simply stated, synergy is everything! When first hooked up (Maggie 20.1 biamped with Moscode 300 and Forte Mdl 3) I thought my ears were going to bleed.  Harsh and unlistenable. Soundstage was wide but shallow.  Vocals were weird.

Rather than give up, over several nights I added the tweeter resistor to tame the high end, turned the LF controls up slightly on the LP-1 crossover, tilted the speakers outward just a bit, and left the preamp on for days at a time.  30 days at a time, for that matter.

Within days everything settled in and got better and better.  Solid, thundering bass.  Clarity I'd never dreamed of, details and depth on RB CDs I never knew was there, all on music I knew very well.  Listening to Phantom of the Opera tonight and hearing dozens of instruments and voices that are all new to me.  Vocal nuances I'd never realized could come from digital.  Soundstage has grown wide, deep and layered.   Hall acoustics are tremendous!

As a bonus, while struggling with whether to buy the unit, the folks at Modwright happily answered my questions about compatibility with my other components and the unit itself.  This one's a keeper, and when my vintage amps finally release the magic blue smoke, MW will be where I look first.

THANKS, Dan and crew!    :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2013, 03:26 pm »
Thank you!

Be well!

Dan W.

zadfrak

« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2013, 06:53 pm »
Another customer to join.

I'm a vinyl guy. Have been for almost 40 years. Advertised for albums and sent away for things since like 1976.

I didn't hear a cd player I ever liked. A friend told me about his modwright music hall 25 he'd sell me for a system I was putting together for my son's high school graduation. Very very impressive.

I was all in when hearing about utilizing tung sols. Wow. Certainly were cheaper and easier paths to take than that.

What a terrific sounding unit & that's comparing it with my turntable setup; VPI scout. JMW memorial arm. Cardas wiring throughout. Top of the line Benz micro cartridge. Playing german pressings of things like Kraftwerk and Alan Parsons 12" singles. Tough competition right there.

Great product and opening the top shows what a fantastic build quality.

Thanks.

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2013, 03:12 am »
Thanks for that!

We do some pretty good phono design work too :).

The SWP 9.0SE has been discontinued for a while, but I am working on a standalone Reference phono design - PH 150 - to be released by the end of Q1 2014.

It features an external power supply, 6c45 (2) and 6922 (2) tube complement as well as Lundahl transformer coupling in and out.  The design is non-phase inverting, with front panel controls for resistance, capacitance, gain, power and stereo/mono function.  Outputs are RCA or XLR, fully balanced.  Two separate inputs, MC and MM.  Max MC loading = 68dB, Max MM loading = 53dB.  Gain settings allow for 0, -6 and -12db.

Very excited about this design!

Thanks guys!

Dan

jimbones

Re: I am also a new member of the Modwright community
« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:07 am »
I just joined the MWI community as well. I just purchased a KWA 100SE. A wonderful amp. Really love it. Thanks Dan for such a great product!

modwright

« Reply #29 on: 20 Oct 2014, 12:43 am »
Thank you and enjoy!

Dan W.

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #30 on: 3 Oct 2015, 01:17 pm »
Another Modwright convert here! I picked up a new KWA 150 in the very cool black finish. The MW replaced an all around excellent Sonic Frontiers Power1 SE+ tube amp.

The new amp sounds great right out of the box. The bass has real weight and presence, something my tube amp was light on. The mids are super clean sounding with lots of detail. The vocals have lost that tube magic glow but otherwise sound great. We'll see if the vocals change as the amp breaks in, but my guess is that I'll need to swap out my Ayre preamp for something with tubes. Time will tell...

Dan, I didn't see a warranty registration card, is there anything I need to do to register my new amp with you?

Todd

modwright

« Reply #31 on: 4 Oct 2015, 06:07 am »
Hi Todd and thanks!  If you bought it from a dealer, then it carries the warranty.  If purchase from Canada, then you will need to contact our Canadian distributor for warranty service.  No need to fill out a warranty card.  Based on the S/N, we know the unit's history.

I appreciate your support and feedback!

We have a number of preamps that work very well with the 150.

Take care,

Dan W.

cheech

« Reply #32 on: 4 Oct 2015, 02:03 pm »
Todd, I have the KWA100SE and use the Modwright LS100 preamp - if you like 6sn7 sound I would highly recommend the LS100 using Black Treasure CV181s (6sn7 equivalent) and NOS 5AR4 (Mulldard or Phillips. Good luck and enjoy your KWA150

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #33 on: 4 Oct 2015, 03:12 pm »
Todd, I have the KWA100SE and use the Modwright LS100 preamp - if you like 6sn7 sound I would highly recommend the LS100 using Black Treasure CV181s (6sn7 equivalent) and NOS 5AR4 (Mulldard or Phillips. Good luck and enjoy your KWA150

Thanks Cheech, I appreciate the recommendation!

dminches

« Reply #34 on: 4 Oct 2015, 03:18 pm »
I owned an LS-100 and preferred old stock 6Sn7s such as sylvania WGTAs or even plain Tung Sols.  I am not a fan of the newer issue 6SN7s (which the CV-181 really is).

Try a bunch and see what you like.

modwright

« Reply #35 on: 11 Oct 2015, 06:22 pm »
For some reason, the LS 100 paired with the KWI 200 adds A LOT!  To be clear, when this is done, you are using the LS 100 as preamp, bypassing the preamp stage in the KWI 200, which is a SS circuit.  This must be the key!

Perhaps we should just offer a KWA 200 amp?

Input welcome!

Thanks,

Dan