Nuprime IDA-8 : Linux native DSD playback

sv_93

Nuprime IDA-8 : Linux native DSD playback
« on: 6 Mar 2018, 02:58 pm »
Hi,

I'm an happy owner of an IDA-8 amplifier. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3 connected via USB and I've tried a lot of Linux audio OS (Volumio, Runeaudio, Moode).

I'm able to play DSD over PCM (DoP) but I can't configure any of these OS to play native DSD.
Is it possible to achieve this behavior ?

Is there a difference on the IDA-8 display between receiving native DSD and DoP ?

Thank a lot for your help.

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Nuprime IDA-8 : Linux native DSD playback
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2018, 06:30 pm »
Most of the Linux OS variants support Windows USB Audio. I think to get native DSD playback, you have to find a player that does that.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
Re: Nuprime IDA-8 : Linux native DSD playback
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2018, 02:41 am »
... Is there a difference on the IDA-8 display between receiving native DSD and DoP
I'm curious about your concern.  DoP is a method of 'masking' DSD data inside a PCM stream.  There is no loss of data, nor any transcoding of any type done.  So DoP or native DSD should sound exactly the same, as long as you are sure you are sending DoP and that the RPi3 is not doing the transcode to PCM.  Moode has a way of checking this in audio info.  I'm sure the others are as well.

So I wouldn't worry too much into achieving native DSD, but rather ensuring you are doing DoP. 

That's just my opinion though :)

Best regards,
Rafa.